Agnostic.com

13 23

20 years ago today, I was in Alaska. My BF stopped the car and asked what I saw. At first ... I had no clue WTH!

AND then? For 2 hours ... I saw this ...

SeaGreenEyez 9 May 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Holy crap. How is that even possible? (Maybe this is where all the unwanted and unused thoughts and prayers we get go?)

@SeaGreenEyez Ahh sorry you have to go through that now. But we will all get there, or else be the hole in someone else's relationship.

With dogs I welcome the grief because it is always proportional to the quality of the relationship and you don't want to stint on that. But when my wife dies, and actuarily I am more likely to be left, I imagine I won't find it easy to remain so philosophical about it. Hang in there!

Amazing! 😎

That's wild

There is a video that is fairly long showing these guys climb the side of a dam. Close up picture of their feet on the dam side. They have to have suction cups.

did not look at the video as that is what I was referring too. There is a longer version.

@dalefvictor -- You were close to right about the suction cups on their feet. Their feet are special. The hooves are something like not too hard rubber and are fully separate. You could say they're like two tough toes that can spread wide apart. Between them is a pliable pad. The toes can grip crevices whilst the pad conforms to the shape of whatever it is pressed onto. Animals with high traction feet specialized for their mission.

No safety ropes for these goats who have better brains and hooves 4 climbing

The animal in picture 1 appears to be a young Dall Sheep female. The Ibex of Alaska ( oreamnos americanus ) is unique to the North American Continent. It is all white with black horns and ranges as far north as the faces of the Chugach mountain range and all the way south to the Rocky Mountains in southern Colorado. They're fun to watch as they scale 'impossible' terrain. This animal is the one in your picture 2. Your picture 3 is of European Alpine ibexes and that picture was taken at the Lake Cingino dam in the Ossola Valley in Italy (see video). Of all the world's ibexs, these critters are the most impressive for their climbing ability.

I know what you mean about the hours watching. I lived in Alaska for several years and must admit I spent quite a bit of time watching the Dalls and the mountain goats whenever they made an appearance. Fascinating.

Young Dall females

@SeaGreenEyez -- It is safe for a woman alone.

@SeaGreenEyez Leadville?

@SeaGreenEyez Yup.Was there for a day or so 3 years ago. What a night it was. I hope no one there is waiting for an encore performance...
On to Pike's Peak.

All the time driving through CO, I kept looking up hoping to see a Ram. Never did

@SeaGreenEyez Right! I asked a couple of people who claimed to be locals about the mining history there.....friggin' Clueless! I ended up at the mining museum ....fantastic place. Never got through it all. The gatekeeper was from Georgia....she knew more than the "locals"

Super cool

nice landscapegoat.

Mountain Goats have incredible agility at climbing seemingly impossible angles and shear vertical cliffs.

Yeah they are extremely talented at scaling cliffs

bobwjr Level 10 May 26, 2020

Thanks. I'll get back to you in two hours! '😂😂😜😜

Wall walkers!

Amazing and beautiful.

@SeaGreenEyez I would worry the weakest goat would fall and be eagle & wolf food at the bottom

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:499772
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.