Agnostic.com

8 1

Should social networks fact-check political speech ? why/not ?

Mark Zuckerberg says social networks should not be fact-checking political speech

[cnbc.com]

[thehill.com]

FearlessFly 9 May 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In a perfect world yes.

Yup prevent egregious lies like trump

bobwjr Level 10 May 28, 2020

Newspapers used to always fact check. They used to always have more than one source too.

If social media networks did at least that much due diligence it would be a lot harder to lead people to a false impression about a candidate.

Right now there's an "anything goes" attitude that's pretty horrific. People believe what they see in print - whether they should or not. It's the written word - it must be real.

And on the internet that comes down to reliable sources. This has been a problem I think since the net really got off the ground. I know I was seeing it in '96 when I first got on the net, with people citing user pages on AOL as sources of information. Ugh.

@bingst Exactly! It's on the Internet - therefore it must be true! Online is no place for the gullible. They can be fed whatever someone is selling.

Yes, because far too many people are too gullible, fail to even think about whether or not something is factual or not, or are just simply too lazy to check. I think the first two categories are more problematic. I do wonder at the correlation between those and the religious.

I don't see how Trump can force Twitter to do anything about fact-checking one way or another. It seems to me anything of the sort would clearly violate the First Amendment. It's kind of like letters sent to newspaper or magazine editors.

Yes, they should. Because they aren't merely "social networks" - they are political and advertising networks. Facebook should monitor their political ads like they monitor their ads for products - for dishonest representations.

We should all fact-check everything, particularly if we are re-posting/sending it on. Takes just seconds on Google to check the source, the author, the claim. Lazy re- posting does Nobody any good!

I think they should. At least give others the opportunity to show some objectivity.

yes. because its pisses off the liars.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:500385
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.