Agnostic.com

17 4

My day off was spent in the ER!

I still am having eating issues and diarrhea. I walked to the Urgent Care and they said they could not help me. Since the lady that used to drive me places refuses now, I had to take the city bus to the ER. I couldn't get to my doctor's today in an emergency appt. I made it to the ER quickly. I had to be put on an IV for testing. I was really hungry and I asked for food. They never brought me any. An hour later, they said my labs were good, no flu, it's doubtful I'm pregnant, (I haven't had any morning sickness and it's been over a month from having sex. Plus, I've been on the same birth control for 3.5 years) and my thyroid is fine. They said to go to my physician's office soon. It could be my medicine. I think it's the med error on my Ranitidine. I think it stopped working. I called the doctor on the bus and I've made an appt for Friday 8 am. I called back begging them to just switch my acid reflux medication before Friday. I now was told not to take Ranitidine tonight and they sent my pharamcy a new med. This all started with those capsules they sent. Perhaps I had a bad allergic reaction?

On the bus ride home, I was so hungry I felt faint. There was a huge accident 2 blocks from my bus stop. The 8 lane highway went into a 1 lane (4 lanes each way) on the road we had to take. I waited 15 minutes on the bus hunched over drinking my water. She did a detour on the road I was going to take to my place. I begged the driver to just let me off the bus there. She did. I sped walked home, I cooked a meal in 4.5 minutes and drank some protein shake. Now I feel sick. Soon I'll be hungry again. This whole week was a mess for me. I will still go to the appt on Friday in case the med isn't the issue. Last week I was sick from food poisoning. I just need something good to happen to me. I guess my somewhat of a friend won't drive me because I got upset she wouldn't come get me in the snow last Wednesday. The cab never showed and a stranger drove me home. She said she would be gone with someone for an hour. I said I could wait an hour. She said she won't come get me. When I got home from the ride with a stranger, I saw her car at our place. She had then texted if I still needed a ride. I had been a little upset because I thought she was driving Shawn to Wal-Mart again. He goes about 20x a week to buy stuff and then in 1/2 return it for his money back. Endless trips to Wal-Mart. I think they should kick him out. She only agrees to drive him 3-4x a day because he gives her his whole SSI check every month for the rides. Oh well. I won't ask her again for a ride. I mostly take the city bus anyway, so I don't have to rely on anyone to drive me. It's only if it's an emergency or if I'm stuck somewhere, that I ask her for a ride. She takes the other residents everywhere though. They won't take the city bus. I heard someone ask for a ride down the road to 7-11! Laziness.

I have a new med now. Let's hope it works and arrives soon.

I was told to drink a lot of water and Powerade or Pedialyte. I can't get to the store anytime soon, so I have a lot of water and some Powerade now. I've been drinking a lot this whole week.

Sarahroo29 8 Apr 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Wow, You have been having a very rough time. I hope things get better for you. The doctor is right, you need those electrolytes as you risk severe dehydration with that diarrhea so bad. I feel for you as that is a horrible thing to endure.

Thanks. I'm taking a break from my new book I bought.

Get better soon !!! 😮

Thanks. I posted the good news.

You mentioned food poisoning, I had picked up something nasty from raw oysters I ate in Thailand (not a smart move). I was miserable for several weeks until I got the right doctor who prescribed Cipro, in hours I started feeling better. Now I carry Cipro on all my Asia trips. I haven't needed it, but I have had fellow travellers who did. For some food borne illnesses the results are dramatic, symtoms relieved in hours.

Cipro - Ciprofloxacin is an antibiotic used to treat a number of bacterial infections. This includes bone and joint infections, intra abdominal infections, certain type of infectious diarrhea, respiratory tract infections, skin infections, typhoid fever, and urinary tract infections, among others. For some infections it is used in addition to other antibiotics. It can be taken by mouth, in eye drops, or intravenously.

Food borne illness can linger, and it not all GP's are good at dealing with it. I doubt it is a virus, I think it is bacterial, your symptoms are very similar to what I experienced.

Thanks.

If allergies to the medication are ruled out, maybe it is a virus. Lots of fluids are best, but if you're not better in 2-3 days, call your doctor. If you get dehydrated, it can be serious.

I have an appt for tomorrow at 8 am.

Does not sound too different from my recent gallbladder troubles. I had very atypical symptoms. It lead to a chain of symptoms that only confused and scared the hell out of me. I too was taking Ranitidine which helped, but also cause some issues.

Basically, I had a "sludge" in my gallbladder. This lead to indigestion, which lead to acid reflux, which caused inflammation (though no "pain" ) of my esophageal sphincter, which created pressure near my vagus nerve bundle / lung / heart / diaphragm, which made me think at any moment I was gonna die. I also had constipation and diarrhea, and dizzy spells, and shortness of breath. I would often be starving, but at the same time feel full. I was dealing with these worsening symptoms for more than a year.

I'll ask my dr tomorrow.

@Sarahroo29
The breakthrough occurred when my Dr ordered a Sonogram. The alleviation of all my other symptoms were rather unexpected. I am still experiencing a discomfort after eating and with sloshing liquid in my stomach, but I don't feel like I am in my last moments on this Earth, any more, and they are still very slowly getting better!

Good luck.

@Reignmond I'm about to post about it.

I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks.

It is sad that people can't be nice! Sorry to hear of your problems and I hope it works its way out of your system. Will be thinking of you and hope to see a good progress report soon.

BillF Level 7 Apr 4, 2018

What if this is a stomach virus instead?

Geeze your day indeed did suck but I hope on the road to feeling better. Try a little eucalyptus oil foor energy and clarity and something yummy to eat

I wonder if it's a stomach virus instead? The ER didn't check for that.

I sympathize and hope you have a swift recovery. I hated traveling by bus and travelling while sick is even worse.

Gohan Level 7 Apr 4, 2018

Yes.

Gee girl, at least you are a heck of a writer !!!! Hope you'll feel better soon

I wrote that all on my cell phone keyboard. Thanks.

@Sarahroo29 I bet your thumbs were on fire.

@Gohan I text fast. Like everything I do.

I use to take medicines to neutralize excessive stomach acid until one day someone told me to eat some fresh ginger every day. So, I thought to myself that there is nothing to lose in trying it and I have to say it worked but it was not a long term solution.

Four years ago I ended up in ER with the most excruiating stomach pain that you could imagine. In the course of a year I visited three different hospitals with severe stomach pain and they could not seem to diagnose the cause. I decided to do some online research and I hit upon the cause which was Heliobacter Pylori which is a type of bacteria that more than 50% of the world's population have in their gastrointestinal tract. I mentioned this to a doctor when I was abroad and he prescribed three different types of antibiotics and a bismouth liquid ( tasted more like liquid shit) which I had to take for five weeks. I am happy to say that since that time I have never had any stomach problems. You can get tested for Heliobacter Pylori.

I'll ask my doctor on Friday.

I'll ask about a stomach flu virus.

Do you have any diarrhea pictures?

You don't know what diarrhea looks like? Is this supposed to be a joke?

@Sarahroo29

Bingo, you got it

@Sarahroo29 not funny huh

@Sarahroo29 if you have any i would PM him one

@btroje I just want to go to bed. My friend arranged a ride for us to go to Barnes & Noble. I can't back out now. Ugh... I'm so thirsty!

@btroje

Haha don't put me through that! I just had to pick up my dog's poop with a very thin plastic bag, and need to just forget that I was aware for that.

@DZhukovin Oh shit! Lol.

@DZhukovin I am glad I don't live where I have to do that. THe few times I have it really grosses me out

@btroje I don't have a dog.

@Sarahroo29 you are safe then

@btroje Yep.

Yes keep records to show variances in treatment and results. Keep your head up. Tunnels always end.

Okay.

If you had food poisoning this could be leftover symptoms.

However with the change in medication my first thought is a "contrary reaction" to the capsules versus the tablets.

They should be able to give you something for the diarhea - I'd ask about having that "in case of" at your appt..

The lady who does all the driving sounds kind of shady? And also sort of abused bringing someone to WalMart 4 times a day? I think staff needs to know about this. There should be some limits set.

I'm with sassygirl - Medicaid/Medicare should provide transportation to appts., However getting transportation to emergency appts. is near impossible.

Have you tried Uber or a local cab company? I don't know what the cost would be - but might be worth it when you're that sick.

Hang in there!

Uber won't take my card because there is no chip in it. You have to call a days in advance for appt rides with Medicaid transportation.It was an emergency ride. I called for a ride 2x with a cab. The first one never picked me up. The second one took more money off my card than what I told them to. I called and complained and they played dumb with me. Saying none of their drivers gave me a ride when I had their number in my phone logs, my card stating they took too much money out, and what their car looked like. The owner lied about all of it.

It could be a stomach bug too. They didn't check for that.

Report that lady that is taking money for Sean. She is breaking the law if he is disabled. He should talk to his social worker. Does this "friend" work for an agency? Call the agency and tell them. If not ask your social worker to help you with rides to dr. apts. I have it under Medicaid.

No, she's just a resident with a car. People use her to drive them to Wal-Mart or to Goodwill.

He is a schizophrenic as she is too. She's stable and he isn't. Most of the people here have short-term memory loss (she doesn't, she's 70-years-old, he's in his 30's) and they can't remember anything from 30 minutes ago. Sean is an issue because he does numerous loads of laundry (clothing he washes every day but doesn't wear) and leaves it in the washer and dryer until someone (normally me) complains they need the washer and dryer. Most people forget it is in there and it sits overnight. We aren't allowed to touch anyone's clothes to take them out and put them on the table. I wash my work clothing every 2 days, but I time mine and get it in and out fast. That is why most of the younger people aren't allowed jobs by their parents. My memory is really good. I am only here because my guardian (my aunt) won't allow me to get my own apartment. She convinced the courts I needed a guardian right after I was released from the hospital and I couldn't say NO. I won't be allowed to live on my own ever now. It sucks.

I understand your frustration with your aunt. Isn't there a house counselor where you live that you can talk to? My 35 year old daughter is living in a group home because her roommate got burnt out after 4 years. She goes to a day program. Trying to find a job but but having cerebral palsy its been tough for her. Let me know if you need advice ok?

@Sarahroo29 You should come up for review on the not living alone issue.

I agree with @sassygirl3869 you should talk to staff there - or alternately your therapist or Doctor.

If you are able to live on your own? You should have a right to try.

There might be time limits imposed to show you are doing well - but it should not be a "forever" sentence to live there.

Also you might want to ask about "step programs" where there is staff that checks in with you - but you are more independent.

@sassygirl3869 I don't need a day program.

@RavenCT Okay. My aunt sends things into the courts every year. Idk what?

I know you don't need a day program-I was just talking about my daughter Becky.

@Sarahroo29 And you have a right to know that.

Also it is possible to get an independent guardian it does not have to be your aunt if she does not have your best interests at heart.

There are Psychiatrists and other professionals who will provide this service.

I used to be an advocate for patient rights. Sarah needs a local advocate.

@sassygirl3869 Oh, okay. Sorry.

@sassygirl3869 She's my only family though in CO. She has stage 4 cancer. I can't hurt her like that.

@sassygirl3869 I wonder if I have a stomach virus?

You poor thing you, sounds like you’ve had a horrible day.

Yes. It sucked.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:50213
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.