Agnostic.com

25 18

something a bit perplexing about the christian god. he creates man, then shames him and threatens him with hell for being an imperfect creation, who by the way never agreed to this whole arrangement. how very perplexing.

hankster 9 June 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The more one learns about this god, the less it makes any sense at all.

That happened to me. The more I knew, the less I understood

I never learned about the bible accept that was never to read or touch one. My Culture was very strict on that. So when I became an adult I started listening to Witness's and they were explaining the bible to me and the questions that came out of me almost caused arguments. It made no sense to me at all.

@gracielufreebush. Keeping the bible out of the hands of people is one of the best ways to use it to control them. If they read it for themselves, they can possibly see all the problems. This is why the Catholic church didn't want it available in the languages of the common people. But, your mind got around that hindrance. You did not need to read it to find it problematic. A good mind indeed 🙂.

At age 13, I became an atheist when I realized that Bible is just a book of stories or fables written by men.

Like Aesop's Fables and Grimm's Fairy Tales.

This podcast has answered my every question regarding religion/s. [parcast.com]
Granted, it took numerous episodes (excellanty researched and delivered), but having listened to countless ‘methods of mental, social, and cultural control,’ by too many to count religion imitators and wannabes … it may not have ‘clicked,’ cuz I’d suspected as much ..but it definitely confirmed the sick tactics used by every religion to control their followers..

Varn Level 8 June 5, 2020

I'm convinced that things not making sense is not just not a dealbreaker for believers, but it is indeed a necessity to believers. They need there to be "paradoxes" and they need for their god to be all Zen and incomprehensible and contradictory. If it were all coherent and reasonable, then it would be cheap and ordinary. It would not rise to the required level of mystery that they crave so badly. Of course being mysterious doesn't make a thing true. The tragedy is that reality could provide them with plenty of mystery if they just didn't stigmatize astronomy and quantum physics as the liberal conspiracies that AM radio has convinced them science is.

true. it opens up all the interpretational opportunities and relieves the need for sensible explanation.

a bad workman always blames his creation😉

According to the bible god only created adam and eve. I know how I was created, my parents had sex.

do you think maybe we should include jesus in that bunch, considering his lack of a regular dad according to the bible.

@hankster
I guess jesus would fit the made by god.

The funny thing is, early Judaism had no concept of Hell. They borrowed it later from the Greeks. It wasn't until around the book of Daniel that an afterlife is mentioned. And the Hebrew hells (there were between 7 and 13) were more like purgatories or waiting rooms, where you could get right with God and then still end up in heaven.

It was the Christians (after Augustine) who devised the idea of Hell as a lake of fire and so on, where eternal punishment is dished out for minor flaws. Frikkin Christians.

waiting rooms are kind of hell I guess.

I thought Hell was here on Earth? Sure seems like it with all the crazy crap going on every where!

Original sin is a joke. It's all a joke.

Hey there friend, try NOT to let the bullshit bible perplex you too much because even the Faithfools have trouble understanding it even though their Preachers tell them exactly what his/her interpretations are anyway and the Preachers are just guessing as well.
It's kind of like the joke that's going around most of the western world these days, i.e,
Q. What is the difference between Donald Trump and God?
A. Trump THINKS he is God, God neither thinks or knows nothing since he never existed anyway.

I've studied it for a long time. I grew up a faithfool for a while. and i'm not being fooled with it. I'm just messing with it. I was using the word "perplexing" a bit facetiously perhaps. and to be clear, I don't see this as interpretation. just a remark on the character of the character christians put their faith in.

Now I finally understand why the Christians love Trump so much. Put the way you say it, it's pretty easy to see why they view him as America's God. Your perplexion has become my clarity. 😉

they love the LIE.

@hankster Sadly, yes, they do. Sigh.

Yes, must have happened on a day when god felt a bit confused.

hmmmm......drunk god? he be getting all sacramental and everything.

God, being omnipotent, is perfectly capable of having forgotten to give himself any brains before he created Man.

Only the Christian 'God'?

not sure.

Yes, but it was not perplexing to the goat herders of the galaxy. They had no Internet and news traveled very slowly. Today we have Christian apologists to explain this stuff away.

If I got a plumber in to do a job, and he did it half as bad as God did when he "created man", I would not pay him.

Exactly, so why didn't God just wipe Adam and Eve out and start over? Nothing wrong in making mistakes, that's how we learn! Maybe then God would have received what he wanted from his Creations.

@gracielufreebush The reason I have "created man" in inverted comma's is because God did not create man. We evolved. Adam and Eve is a fairy tale. But YES. Your point is well taken. But God never seems to intervene to correct his mistakes. Unless it's with Plagues, Floods, Famines, earthquakes and the like. That makes God a bit of a psychopath. And psychopaths are not know for their ability to learn from their mistakes.

"God" creates perfection in man. Sees he cocked up, so makes woman. Pops them into the perfect place to live with the proviso that they do NOT eat from the tree of knowledge (K.I.S.S principle? If they were created perfect, I suppose they already know everything or at least know everything they NEED to know) and they must worship Him and he will give them eternal life. Woman, (Eve) cannot do as she is told, and is 'tempted' by the serpent and eats from the tree. Therefore she is no longer perfect, because she has sinned by not doing what she was told. Hereby, almost all women throughout history have been the 'lower' of the two, men being far more important..... "God" then decided they are NOT perfect, so now they are ab;e to get sick, grow old and die... I don't find that bit perplexing - it's just a story (and not a very good one), but we still haven't found the missing link.... unless it's already on Earth somewhere...LOL

it's not perplexing at all. I was being facetious.

@hankster I know.....

Why be perplexed? You invent a story, add attributes, your kids work it out, and you have to blame people for the failings, or the story falls apart.

The god of the babble is a twat, man made him in his own image.

Well the Bible never says it’s not perplexing or contradicting so it checks out.

As George Carlin said....but he loves you!

I love George! Well said George!! LOL!

All the better to guilt you with, my dear.

JimG Level 8 June 5, 2020

Of course it makes no sense ,but brainwashing erases all ability and will to question the nonsense the followers of religions have been deluded to believe in

Not sure why there is a fascination with analyzing and archaic belief system.

God did nothing::: humans did. All good.

JacarC Level 8 June 23, 2020

Simply worth ignoring as a non-starter of an idea!

I agree. I'm sure that's why no one has commented.

It's a bitch fer shure, but if ya think about it... that kinda is the deal we got, no matter where it came from. Call it God - call it the Universe - call it the luck of the draw - we don't get to agree or disagree with being born. We are certainly imperfect, and we suffer terribly because of it. Replace the word god with the word reality and it's still as perplexing. No?

skado Level 9 June 5, 2020

perhaps as perplexing but not of the same nature. the universe doesn't claim omnipotence, perfection, Grace, love, Etc. as does the christian god. it is easier to accept indifference from reality than a raw deal from god.

@hankster
It does seem that way. Why do you suppose it's easier?

@skado would you rather play cards with an honest dealer or one who deals from the bottom of the deck? letting the cards fall where they may doesn't get near as many cowboys shot as does them falling from a sleeve.

@hankster
If I got the same cards either way, I can't think of a reason why I should care.

@skado another consideration is that the Universe didn't make a decision to put mankind in this position.

@hankster
I understand. I just think it's funny that we get angry if we think somebody did it to us, but we don't seem to mind at all if happenstance does the exact same thing to us.

@skado if the reasons for the current national unrest we're simply an unfolding universe it would be pointless to protest it, but it is not. decisions choices and attitudes by those in control generate this suffering.

@skado I wouldn't say that we don't mind at all when chance brings misfortune, but we really don't like it if it was someones intent to bring us harm or difficulty.

especially if it was for their own selfish purposes.

Yep.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:503205
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.