Agnostic.com

1 4

LINK Nina Simone: Mississippi Goddam - YouTube

I had the awesome pleasure of seeing her perform at the Chicago Theatre a little over a year before she died. Her passion, anger and pain still prominently displayed in her music some 35+ years after the performance in this clip.

She's right. That's just the trouble. Far too slow. Irrespective of the fact that her concert audiences were historically filled predominantly with white people...

Amzungu 8 June 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The song captures Simone's response to the murder of Medgar Evers in Mississippi; and the 16th Street Baptist Church bombing in Birmingham, Alabama, killing four black children. On the recording she cynically announces the song as "a show tune, but the show hasn't been written for it yet." The song begins jauntily, with a show tune feel, but demonstrates its political focus early on with its refrain "Alabama's got me so upset, Tennessee's made me lose my rest, and everybody knows about Mississippi goddam." In the song she says: "Keep on sayin' 'go slow'...to do things gradually would bring more tragedy. Why don't you see it? Why don't you feel it? I don't know, I don't know. You don't have to live next to me, just give me my equality!"

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:503223
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.