Agnostic.com

9 3

Defund the police department?

Some protesters want cities to defund their police departments. That, to me, sounds astonishingly stupid and irresponsible. Am I missing something?

paul1967 8 June 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Why not cut police budgets? They've been doing it to schools and hospitals for decades.

If you really want to save money, require cops to cover liability insurance. Even if the municipality pays the premiums, it would save those multi-million dollar settlements the taxpayers have to cover every couple of years. And when individual cops become too expensive that's just too bad - they can become mercenaries.

Defunding the police department is a tool to reconstruct the police in the city. The reforms bills have been passed before and the implementations have been delayed, ignored and stymied on various grounds. The police chiefs play politics such as hope to bring another vote to cancel suggestions, wait out a change in leadership or election etc. Police unions and their contracts prevent police reforms such as limit police office interrogations, destructions of officer duty records, non-consideration of officer records in promotions, merit or removals. Most police unions endorse Trump for 2020 and oppose and term protesters as terrorists.

This time the city leadership decided to dismantle first and rebuild next. They have said from the beginning that they will rebuild the police department with strong ethics rule, screen all candidates with a good look at career history etc.

I don't think they are talking about defunding and not have the police. CNN reports of the city Camden, NJ where they defunded the police and reconstructed again from ground up. It has worked very well. [cnn.com]

Done in Pacific, Washington a while ago. Everyone left, the County took over. They just contract with the County now.

A modified version of this worked in Camden NJ. Much smaller city than Minneapolis. 75K to 450K. Camden had highest crime rate in Nation. Dismantling wasn't about police brutality. Was about corruption. Pennsauken and NJ St Police took up the slack while department was redesigned. Crime rate is way down there and the city is gentrified because it's near Center City Philadelphia. Don't think you can just abolish the police in a large metropolitan city. You could have major reform but law enforcement is an essential service.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks

Google what they did in Camden NJ. It will explain what they did and evidently it has been very effective.

I live in Philly but 5 minutes from Camden. The situation was different and I don't have to Google it.

@barjoe Different from what?

@Sticks48 You said to Google Camden. Don't have to, I live here, I'm familiar with the Camden case. First of all they were taken over by the state. The entire force resigned en masse. They had transition law enforcement while they reorganized, rehired and trained a force. Wasn't a defunding project. Camden is a smaller city 80K, Twin Cities like 1 million people. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm saying the cities are different. .

@barjoe The former and present Police Chief in Camden was on TV today. He said they were all fired including himself. That busted up the union and they turned the whole thing over to the county and rebuilt from their. It seems to be successful with a very large drop in crime. Murders are down like 95%. Must have been a bad place.

@Sticks48 High crime, gang violence and severe opioid crisis, which is still a problem in Camden. That was former CPD Commissioner Scott Thomson. The new department is Camden Country Metro Police their Chief is a man named Joe Wysocki. The circumstances are different for City of Camden than any prospective reorganization in the city of Minneapolis. It's not an identical model.

@barjoe An interesting approach though.

Yeah..like Defunding as in cutting police budgets..or in extreme cases, like Minneapolis, disbanding and reorganizing the department. Demilitarization a great Idea as well..

Okay I can see the benefit, but Minneapolis is a huge city,. The police don’t just write tickets, there’s on going investigations, court proceedings that require police testimony, criminals who could and would run rampant even if you substitute the National guard. They don’t have the same training to handle city crimes. It doesn’t seem feasible.

they need a do-over. i think "re-fund" new officers and leadership. new rules.

You're not alone on that thought...

I think funding social workers and people who solve problems rather than policing people would go alot farther toward keeping everyone safer.

The plans aren't to leave everyone unprotected. It's to find more appropriate ways to serve the needs.

I was skeptical at first but once I thought about it most of the things they do would be better done by people who were seen as helpers rather than authority figures.

MsAl Level 8 June 8, 2020

You are probably too young to remember most police cars carrying the words, "Protect & Serve"

@AnneWimsey I'm old enough to know slogans generally a type of propaganda or advertising and to be skeptical of them 🙂

Police are more than protectors of public safety. If we defund the police who has the training to investigate crimes, who do we call when a child is being abused. Social workers need evidence to take a child from their families, and social workers are not trained to be investigators. Who do we call when we see a drunk driver? Who do we call when we’ve been rapped? Or mugged? What about all the ongoing court cases that require police testimony ?

@paul1967 Police in their current form are inappropriate people to deal with child abuse, drug usets, people acting out from mental health issues, or even traffic stops. Traffic patrol could be done by a much lesser less militarized person. All those other things are much better handled by someone much closer to.a social worker type situation. Police do more harm than good with their in charge rather than there to help and fix image. I feel like the public would be better served and safer with a much different approach.

@MsAl ummmm, it was a Concept, like "Innocent until proven guilty"...ever hear of that? You think that cops should be Judge, Jury, & Executioner?

@MsAl, @paul1967 your concept of DCYS workers is seriously Wrong! They are investigators, and they have specially trained interviewers to get the info from traumatized kids! Cops in most places are Forbidden to interview young victims lest they lead the witness & taint the evidence/narrative.

@AnneWimsey I guess I see "To serve and protect" as pro police propoganda. A nice goal but not necessarily reality.

I don't see "Innocent untill proven guilty" as a slogan but more of a description of the law.

@AnneWimsey That’s not exactly true everywhere. Large cities usually have specialized police investigators for crimes against children.

LA police have several departments to deal with child abuse. The Child Protection Section was formed as specific needs to protect children. The section is comprised of the Abused Child Unit, the Sexually Exploited Child Unit, and most recently the Investigative Control Unit. The Abused Child Unit was founded in 1974 and became the first investigative unit of its kind in the nation to dedicate specially trained officers to investigate child abuse. Today, officers investigate allegations of child physical or sexual abuse when it is suspected that the parent or legal guardian is responsible. They also investigate undetermined deaths of children under the age of 11 years and child homicides.

@OwlInASack I don’t deny that some cops are crooked, and a lot of reform needs to occur, most importantly this unwritten rule that cops don’t snitch on cops. I also support defunding cops in small towns where crooked cops are running things. I don’t think you can defund a city the size of Minneapolis besides defunding isn’t the only solution and it’s not even the best solution given the size of Minneapolis. Restructuring, firing, retraining and policy changes can correct the problem.

@MsAl one is actually in our Constitution/Bill of Rights, one is a concept that used to be the goal, in my lifetime.

@MsAl I think your making a blanket statement. I agree we have a police problem, but the vast majority of police are good cops. The big problem is cop culture, no cop good or bad rats out another cop according to all my cop friends. If you do, the next time you need backup nobody will come. That’s what we need to deal with.

@AnneWimsey I looked it up and it's an unofficial slogan that was painted on some cars.but not all, and still on some. Mostly in LA.

I'm not sure exactly how old you are but if the time period you are refering to includes the anti drug wars or broken glass theory of policing or the civil rights era... well I think the nice slogan was covering up brutality and damage that were destructive to society and mainly included bullying poor people. I don't think today's police are somehow worse than they were before. It's just that in this moment people are calling them.out and it has actually become part of the conversation.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:504247
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.