Agnostic.com

4 2

LINK US: Transgender sports inclusion violates others’ rights

If I'm treating a transwoman for cancer, I cannot medically treat her as a woman but I'm obligated to medically treat her as a male. Regardless of her societal gender identification (woman) her physical body is still dictated by sexual biology (male) and there are physical difference that need be taken into account.

How are physical sports any different?

There was no contention in the past that males competed in men's events and females in women's event. There was never any debate that to allow males to compete in female events would be unfair to all females involved.

Why not rename the men's events into male events to make clear that this is a physical, not societal, competition and have tranwomen compete there?

TheMiddleWay 8 June 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Would the procedure performed have any bearing if the transgender person has been taking female hormone treatment? To what extent/percentage does female hormone treatment influence the male body. You mention existing male physical frame and size of the lungs etc and understand why biologically certain treatment for men would be different for women. I would like to understand this better.
My hairdresser has done surgery ie have boobs and sexual organ change. I can understand why treatment in her condition would still be for male regardless of the surgery to transform certain body parts. My concern is to what extent female hormone treatment effects the once all-male body? for treatment?

@TheMiddleWay yes makes sense then. Thank you.

"There was no contention in the past that males competed in men's events and females in women's event"

. . not true . . . :

[bleacherreport.com]

[en.wikipedia.org]

[golftips.golfweek.com]

[dailymail.co.uk]

[pga.com]

@TheMiddleWay No woman has ever won a mens PGA event.

You didn't mention tennis.

. . . also NASCAR

. . . also, Lusia Harris was the first and only woman ever officially drafted by the National Basketball Association (never played in the NBA)
[en.wikipedia.org]

I can certainly follow your rationale and it makes level playing ground sense for a physical sport. But, I suspect the trans population would feel differently about the sense it makes. I'm curious what responses you may get from them.

@TheMiddleWay Of course, as well the opinions of the born male men on the other side of it, but I would expect their perspective to also be aligned with the physical fairness aspects moreso than the perceived social aspects. I imagine my point was that the trans athletes might not see it as being as 'fair' as the non trans athletes, even though from a purely physical standpoint your suggestion is pretty indisputably fair.

"level playing ground"

. . . I think there is a reason why NY teams have won so many championships . . .

does seem like cheatery. maybe there should just be a trans-Olympics.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:504567
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.