Agnostic.com

5 14

LINK Religious Schools Promoting Gay Conversion Torture Are Getting Taxpayer Dollars | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

Tax payer money should nto go towards money making schemes that torture children.

in ten year follow up studies the maintained "cure" rates is less than one percent. The suicide rates are usually more than triple that.

snytiger6 9 June 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Homophobia is alive and well in "The Land of the Free" (the Land of the Free to be Vile Little Shits).

There should not be any religious schools at all. If parents want their children to get religious education then it should be done after school, not something the state should pay for.

I expect that the G.W.Bush Admin. had a lot to do with funneling money in that direction. Remember his "Faith Based" bull shit? This process ought to be criminalized!

don't forget that our current veep is 1k times worse on that than W ever could have been. #knowyourenemy

@redhog That's the only good thing to come out of the Senate's malfeasance!

Imo, ALL Government fundings SHOULD withdrawn completely from both Religions and Religious Schools of ALL kinds.
Here in Australia for example, it costs parents between 300-500 dollars per Term ( Semester) for EVERY child they send to a Catholic run Primary school and between 500-800 dollars per Term for EVERY child they send to a Catholic run Secondary school, plus the Catholic Schools get a greater percentage of the Education Budget than do the Government run Public Schools as well.
In Australia, less than 5% of Catholic School educated graduates achieve the necessary requirements to attend Further Education School like Universities, etc, while over approx. 40% of Public School graduates achieve the requirements to at attend Universities, etc, whilst attending schools that receive much less Government support and finances.
Most Churches who own and operate schools literally rake in hundreds of thousands of dollars from tithes, the Sunday Collection Plates as well as their supposed Charity Shops, etc, while Public Schools have to hold School Fetes, Fund-raising drives, etc, ever year to cover the funding short-falls due to the inequality of Government fundings.
AND YES, Gay Conversion "Therapy" via religious organisations is WRONG, DEMONIC, DESPOTIC and both Physical, Emotional and Mental Abuse imho.

Agreed!

Tax dollars should be pulled for two reasons. First, religious schools should not be supported with government tax dollars. It is a violation of the First Amendment. Second, conversion therapy is harmful and proven to be ineffective.
[livescience.com]

This link provides a rather thorough overview of reparative therapy.
[psychology.ucdavis.edu]

@TheMiddleWay - On that first point, I basically agree in theory - so long as the rule is applied equally. What we learned from Brown v. Board of Education, separate but equal is not equal. If fact, it wasn't intended to be equal but only to justify segregation of the races. I would suspect the same is the case with tax money supporting religious schools (especially with this administration and our current Sec. of Education).

As additional evidence, I would point to the monument of the Ten Commandments erected at the Oklahoma capital in 2012. Claimg the same equal access agrument, The Satanic Temple based out of New York decided they should be allowed to set up a monument to Satan at the capital. Plans for a statue were presented and under the concept of equal access were approved in 2018. If I recall the events correctly, the Satan statue was never placed even though it was commissioned and constructed. Threats of vandalism and an outcry from many within the state caused a change in Oklahoma law requiring the Ten Commandments monument be removed and rescinding the approval for the statue of Satan.
[governing.com]

Similar situations occurred in states like Florida when equal access laws allowed religious groups access to public school rooms. These rules were later reconsidered and withdrawn when equal access meant atheist organizations or a Satanic organization had to be granted the same access to these classrooms.

In conclusion, I don't disagree with the concept of equal access so long as it is truly equal. I also doubt that many religious organizations in the US are truly serious about equal access when they propose it. Rather, it is initially seen as a means for skirting the First Amendment. These churches act apparently believing they can control the access of other religions offesive to them, or they back out of the equal access rule when another religious group they don't approve of attempts to exercise their equal access rights. They apparently consider themselves entitled to special access but turn up being intolerant of what equal access actually means.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:505388
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.