Agnostic.com

5 5

LINK Native Americans In California Are Toppling Statues Of This Catholic Saint

As the nation reckons with symbols of America’s white supremacist history, some Native American protesters in California have renewed calls for the state to reevaluate the legacy of a Spanish colonizer-turned-saint ― Junipero Serra.

HippieChick58 9 June 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Deborah A. Miranda, a professor of American literature at Washington and Lee University who is part Native American, stated that "Serra did not just bring us Christianity. He imposed it, giving us no choice in the matter. He did incalculable damage to a whole culture".

Corine Fairbanks of the American Indian Movement proclaimed: "For too long the mission system has been glorified as these wonderful moments of California's golden era. That is not true. They were concentration camps. They were places of death.

There is no such thing as a saint and the simple fact is that many people deemed saints are those that excelled in doing the church's bidding. Mother Teresa baptising non-Catholics is a prime example.

Mother Teresa was an iron clad bitch from all I've read of her. She did nothing to alleviate the suffering of the poor, told them that was their lot and they should be happy for it. There were many abuses in her charity homes, she was not a "good christian".

@HippieChick58 Maybe not good but typical of many christians. She would have fit in nicely with the evangelicals of today.

I have been listen to Heather Cox Richardson's youtube series 'The American Paradox'. She is a history professor. here's the link to the first part. The rest will just show up on the right hand menu.

This is pretty amazing, I am bookmarking her series for later. Thanks for sharing this!

@HippieChick58 I have always enjoyed the history that does not lend heavily on dates. She is easy to listen to.

Thee a lot of legitimate pent up anger among a number of our ethnic groups in America. As an old white man who has seen racism and ethnocetrism in our country in our culture during his entire life, I say that is time to face the fact, and finally deal with it.

As they should! Many of us were furious when he was made a saint. Because of him, hundreds of thousands of native peoples died, enslaved.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:510022
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.