Agnostic.com

13 14

Sad, Mustafa Kemal Pasa's secular Turkey is turning into an Islamic Country. Erdogan is trying to descularize the country since he came to power. All his reforms suggest the country will soon plunge into religious intolerance.

Helios 4 July 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Very unfortunate.

Erdogan looks to reestablish the influence lost on WW1, he uses Islam as a way to legitimate a reedict of otoman empire.
Remember that the Otoman sultain was not only a political leader, but also the Califa (religious head) of Islam.
The same thing that Putin is doing in Russia, even restoring and promoting the orthodox church.

That goes in the opposite way of Kemal Ataturk's idea of the turkish republic.

Erdogan was always going to be an issue, he's a shifty guy. Old fashioned, power hungry, incapable of taking criticism, probably a sociopath.

Top tip- Never trust anyone with a mustache.

You have one, don't You?

@AravindAjith

I should amend it by saying if it's ONLY a mustache. Any other facial hair is perfectly trustworthy, bearded guys don't tell porkies, right?

@XxDjinnXx right! Haha

@XxDjinnXx 😂😂

Hmmm well said

Islamist always complaint about rights, in an Islamic Sharia country you have no rights as a non Islamist!!!

Turkey, the US, my ancestral Poland and elsewhere — cynical politicians and religious institutions whipping up or hijacking reactionary populist sentiment to implement the worst social and political programs.

Yes, I see this but I'm equally afraid that America might plunge into religious intolerance. Also, Trump lets this go on because he gets money from the Trump Towers that Turkey has.

writings been on the wall for quite a while and trumps doing nothing to slow it down because you know . . . Trump Istanbul

Unfortunately the same thing is happening here with the very-well organized efforts of the rich, aligned with intolerant Christians. Countries don't dumb down overnight. There was a time the Muslim world led in science and mathematics. People will one day look and say there was a time America reigned supreme. A small decline here, a small decline there, just a percent or two over 20, 30, 40, 50 years and you're done. The magic of compounding applied to culture. Except the growth is negative.

With the lefties ranting about Islamophobia, I don't think anyone will consider this as a problem.

There is moslemphobia. It's when individuals have a fear of muslims. Not islamaphobia, that's the rational fear of islam just as many of us fear other religions. I fear the catholic church, the evangelical churches, hyper orthodox judaism, and the mormons among others.

@Theresa_N The left has failed to create a distinction between attacking Islam and attacking Muslims. I respect Muslims but not their faith. Many atheists and freethinkers were banned from social media platforms for criticizing Islam. The left is not promoting criticism of Islam as it is doing to Christianity and Judaism.

I was stationed in Turkey years ago and even then it was mostly a Moslem country. I have friends who were Syrian Orthodox and they told me of what they called 'closet conversions' by the Moslem majority to the other groups. They moved to Germany. At one time their eldest daughter opened a Turkish grocery store and a group of Moslems set it on fire so even when people move to another country the religious extremism goes along. One big problem is that most of the really sever violence in the world is between Shia and Suni Moslems. I suspect it will be the same between Protestants and Catholics and even between the different Protestant sects. No one wins with religion!

You are absolutely right.Religious people are in delusion.They are imprignant with false religious doctrination that leads them think they can convert the other sect into their domain, and the results always are violence.

I was at Incirlik AB in the 70’s. The govt. was trying it’s best to join the Western world.
Beautiful country. I enjoyed going down to the Mediterranean.

@Sierra4 I was in the sexless society of sunny Sinop by the sea (Black Sea) in 1969. It was an experience. What I saw was a willingness to become a part of the western world but, at the dame time conning the military and corporations and reneging on contracts to take over property.

@EarnestEccentric It can be and has been done and I'll bet there are even schools that deal with this. I had a neighbor in Heidelberg Germany who fought with Rommel's forces in N. Afrika. He was captured by the British and handed over to the Americans who then sent him to a prison camp in N. Texass. He loved it there, not getting shot at, treated well with lots of food and secure settings and was even given a paid job. Once a month they were marched into the local town and could spend their money. Then they were taught about Democracy. This was a real new thing to them and it changed their lives. I have heard this story from many Germans.

The people voted for Erdogan to have the power of the president and prime minister combined. Erdogan also encourages Turks living abroad to have more babies than Europeans. Journalists are often jailed in Turkey for speaking out against Erdogan and he holds over Europe’s head over three million migrants

For sure secular Turks are facing hard time now.

Just what the world needs, another neo nazi theocracy, based on the nonsensical pleasing of an all powerful figment of the imagination of bronze age gullible fools

Bronze age? I am pretty sure Islam was formed after that.

@AravindAjith Yeah they were late to the party, could not see where they were going in the Dark ages

And they are turning more toward the Putin sphere of influence.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:511796
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.