Agnostic.com

20 1

Do you say "Bless You" when someone sneezes?

Do you say "Bless You" when someone sneezes? I do not. Not only is it based on superstition, but the full phrase "God Bless You" is based on something I don't believe in. Nor do I believe in spirits that the body is trying to get rid of.

If someone asks, my reply is generally "I leave that to the professionals". 🙂

chuckles 6 Nov 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thanks to everyone for the responses! I learned a few new words through these answers. I was always under the impression that Gesundeit translated into "God bless you", but I looked it up and saw that it means "good health". I still don't like that sneezing is the only condition we acknowledge (leaving out coughs and hiccups), as that is based on superstition.

No. I may ask if they are alright if its a sneezing fit, but never say "bless you".

I often say pointedly silent in protest to the antiquated saying. There are some countries where people don't say anything at all

I don't say bless you, I say "Prosit". which is a swedish term used specifically when someone sneezes. nothing religious about it. 😉

Joden Level 2 Nov 25, 2017

I do but by habit and that's how ingrained religion is in society. I also say for god's sake and Christ and even Jesus.

I say Gazunloose

If I'm moved to say anything at all it will be:

Salud

or

Gesundheit

I usually ignore it. I don't say anything when someone coughs, hiccups, or passes gas, so I'm unsure why sneezing earned itself such a revered place among bodily functions. (I've heard the story that it's because the heart stops when someone sneezes, but I don't believe there was a way hundreds of years ago to test that — if it's even true that it happens.)

I say Geshundheit, which wishes them good health.

It is literally taken years to break my self from this habit

Mo. I say, ""Gesundheit!"

No. I ask them if they’re ok?

"Curse you" seems too insensitive while "Get the hell away from me" implies a belief in something, therefore it's religious.

I've gotten used to the awkward silence. 🙂

Yep. It comes from a long time ago when folks believed that when you sneezed, the Devil could get past your defences. I'm just trying to help my Believer friends and family avoid the potholes of life. They're having enogh trouble navigating the poisoned world their fellow Christian nut jobs are creating!

Zazen Level 2 Nov 24, 2017

I do, but for lack of better expression, I leave out the thing part, I wish there was a better translation from Albanian or Greek where the literal translation would be health or to your health...

I say it when someone sneezes. A 50 year old habit is hard to break, but I absolutely hate it when someone says "have a blessed day".

I do, I don't see blessing as any more than wishing them well, no god needed or implied.

I do say "Bless you", leaving off the thing word. Think it is just polite.

Nor48 Level 4 Nov 24, 2017

I do, but mostly out of habit.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5118
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.