Agnostic.com

57 8

What are your thoughts on age gaps in a relationship?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

57 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I definitely prefer women closer to my age. I have had relationships with women much younger than me, but I was reluctant. I always figure at some point I'd be older and want someone closer to me in age.

I find older okay but younger is a no no usually.. just feels like a gap when younger and you can't fake experience .. when you are older you can still be on wavelength I feel as there is more experience in life.

Gonna have 'em. My 2nd wife, mother of my children, 17 yrs. younger than me, but about 2 centuries older. Didn't last.

twill Level 7 Apr 6, 2018

It depends on the gaps. Something I’ve “observed” as an author is that we tend to see “bodies” first. They’re hot, beautiful, sexy… but that’s all based on OUR idea of those words. Again, observation, we see in other (at first) what we see in our own fantasies. “He has the face of an angel.” “What a beautiful soul.” But soon, the real “them” comes out, and it’s not going to match our image of what they should be.

If we still love them AS them, stripped of our projections, then age isn’t as big of a deal. But they have to feel the same way too. If they’re ‘just bodies’ to us, then at some point, no matter how ‘gorgeous, sexy, adorable, angelic’… they are, eventually, going to be themselves, and that means they’re going to stop being the “body” and start being them.

Absolutely fine. Way down on my list of requirements.

It is all mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Some of the most mature, well-grounded, interesting people I know are young enough to be my children (adults, over 21, for the sake of calrity), yet I can see how it could be fascinating and fulfilling to be in a relationship with them. On the other hand, some of the most vile, petty, immature people I know are my age and I don't even want to be near them.

It's about the people involved, not the numbers.

I think technology is being used in ways that are counter productive. More than once, I have seen peopel sittign next to each other looking at their phones and texting each other, rather than looking at each other and simly talking.

One of my favorie movie lines of all times comes from "Jurassic Park", which say, "Just because we can do it, doesn't mean that we should."

A lot of apps and technology makes rrelationships different, but on the whoel they reduce actual face to face interaction, which in my view doesn nto make relatinships better, because it reduces intimacy and the ability to actually get to know a person well to a greater degree than whatever advantages that technology is able to provide.

I know two couples that have significant age gaps. One over 20 years and other which is married is 12. First one the man is much older and the other is the woman older than the husband. Married couple has been together 10 years and the other two, and it’s been kind of rocky for that couple and I don’t think they will stick together. Hard for me to say if most of the issues are age related but definitely a factor in their relationship since the man frequently excludes himself from the activities of our group of friends in mid to late 40s because as someone in his 60s it’s hard for him to relate especially to younger (American) women. He is from new zealand and his girlfriend is from China. Even I have difficulty relating to him unless we are having a discussion about a shared interest of which there are very few between us.

I think that generally speaking couples can overcome these things if they are committed to the relationship but it can be difficult when you have issues relating generationally. Also, women go through a lot of biological changes a younger man may have difficulty dealing with especially relating to sexual desire and emotions. Not every man but a lot.

I find attraction in many different ages, A few 21+, some in 30s, much more 40's and 50's, fewer in 60's....for there are a number of factors that go into attraction and then there are always compatibility factors related to age that make persuit not an option.

How old do I feel today? I'm looking for someone who is definitely over the age of 21 and who acts about the age I feel most of the time, so I can forget how old I am and how old she is and how old I feel and how old she seems. Generally this results in me connecting with people 2-5 years younger, but the last few I fell for were 8-10 younger.

I don't see a problem unless your main aim is someone much younger.

I believe that there's nothing wrong with an older person dating a younger person as long as they are both legal adults. The age of consent is supposed to mean something when you turn it. I strongly believe that.

6 years between my ex and I was hard. He was older. I was too immature at age 22.

@irascible Yes.

I leave those decisions up to the people in the relationship. I don't think it's something, I'll have to worry about.

JimG Level 8 Apr 6, 2018

My mom and dad were ten years apart and so am I and my wife. Doesn't seem to make a lot of difference to us. Not sure about a larger gap.

I'm recently back on the market after 25 years of marriage and I'm finding that I'm much more into women about 5-10 years younger than myself. I'm 52 now but very active and most of the women my age aren't into the things that I'm into. I race mountain bike enduro events (those are the high risk downhill events in case you didn't know) and I snowboard, skydive, cliff jump or whatever. The only different between me and the younger dudes is it takes me longer to heal after an injury. So, I'm trying to convince women, younger than me, that I can keep up when, in reality, I think they are the ones who would struggle, and this is just to get a conversation going.

Age is not an issue when two people enjoy one another’s company!

Age is just a number. If you love each other it doesn't matter.

I wouldnt like to date women +10yrs older or younger. Older historically been a sweet spot for me. You?

I’m open to any and all possibilities, I do tend to use the Italian method which is half your age plus seven. That would make you a perfect candidate.

If it works, it works. Often times, age gaps can be a problem, and sometimes the age gap is nothing more than a sexual preference, but sometimes people just connect, regardless of age.

They are only a big deal if one or both partners involved make it a big deal. Besides, who cares what others think, live your life the way you want to. Personally, I have mostly dated women younger than me, but a few were older and in some instances considerably older. I had just as much fun and intimacy with the women who were older than I did with the younger ones. Age is just a number, and does not matter so long as true love/interest is present.

It all depends on the individuals involved. There are no hard and fast rules, except being at the age of consent.

In my last relationship I was older than he was by six years. I felt extremely protective of him, and found myself making allowances in our relationship because I felt I had more life experience. This led to him becoming rather dependent upon me to make major decisions, and be the "lead" instead of partners, which ultimately led to our relationship crumbling. He left me for a younger woman who had a more carefree outlook, whereas I am driven and goal oriented. I miss him terribly, but I can see now that the age gap included his overall maturity being at a totally different level than my own.

Half your age + 7.

I’m open to any and all possibilities, I do tend to use the Italian method which is half your age plus seven. That would make you a perfect candidate

My husband was 10 years older and it was great. I needed an older guy.

My long-term bf was my age and it was fun, we had a lot in common. Still do.

For consenting adults, c'est la vie. For vulnerable subgroups there need to be protections (women and men under/over a certain age and those with infirmities).

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:51182
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.