Agnostic.com

7 14

We have a responsibility to make clear whose freedoms and safety are really in danger — and whose are just inconvenienced.

By Jessica Valenti, Medium.com. Excerpts:

"As July 4th rolls round, I’m finding it difficult to muster up much enthusiasm for the country I call home. With nearly 130,000 people dead and over 2.6 million infected with Covid-19, it’s become clear that American exceptionalism is deadly.

"The United States leads the world in coronavirus cases and deaths, and America remains the only country whose citizens are treating the use of masks as a political debate rather than a death necessity with life-and-death implications. Working parents are desperate as politicians make few moves to sort out schooling come September; as Deb Perelman put it in The New York Times, right now “you can have a kid or a job — you can’t have both.” I’m also pretty sure we’re the only place where young citizens are holding “Covid parties” — gatherings where the first person to contract the virus gets a payout.

"What has made me feel proud, however, are the continuing protests across the country against racist police violence. Watching a diverse of neighbors, family, friends, and young people come together to demand change is enough to melt my jaded heart.

"The health and safety of Americans now depends on the dumbest among us.

It’s strange — and telling — to witness these two different ideas of American freedom. While protesters are demanding the freedom for Black people to live without fear of state violence and murder, conservatives are complaining that their freedom is being infringed upon because they can’t shop at Costco without a light piece of fabric against their face. It’s those two definitions of “freedom” that are dominating the news; it feels shocking that we’ve allowed the latter to stand as a credible argument.

"Video after video shows people spitting on counters, coughing at people, throwing groceries, screaming at employees — all while characterizing their tantrums as an exercise of free speech or freedom. That their biggest infringement of “freedom” is a simple piece of cloth doesn’t seem to register. Meanwhile, peaceful protesters and journalists are being arrested and beaten in the street."

LiterateHiker 9 July 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As a Canadian on the outside looking in, I am concerned about the health and welfare of my many American friends, most of whom are expats that I met while traveling abroad. I am also very worried about my 3 adult children that my wife took to the US when she married a US military man after our divorce in the 80's.
I expect that the merde will hit the ventelateur in short order and that we will have an influx of American refugees at our southern border before the year is out, we will have to screen them to make sure that there are no MAGA terrorists in the group and that they are not already infected with COVID19 due to the completely shit job that the US Trump Government has done to date.

I love the boldface quote in the middle: "The health and safety of Americans now depends on the dumbest among us." Who is that from???
What is heartening to me is the large numbers of White Americans finally overcoming reluctance to openly support the important BLM cause and finally joining it as a cause that impacts all of us, even if it does so in very different ways.
People who really love their country fight to save it from its mistakes. Flag-waving and trying to disqualify civil rights advocates as somehow "not patriotic" is basically juvenile mentality. Emotional grown-ups who love their country work to make it better, not blindly ignore glaring deficiencies with platitudes of "God's Country" and American Exceptionalism nonsense.

@MileInBatonRouge

It's by the same author, Jessica Valenti. I bolded it because I love it.

As a member of society one must adhere to the rules of that society. I am forbidden to drive my car 100 MPH (160kph) as it presents a safety hazard to others. This BS with not wearing masks started with the Orange Turd and continues with covidiots denying science. I can't be the only one that dreams of hitting the covidiots in the head with a 2x4, I only hesitate as I know it won't fix stupid.

MizJ Level 8 July 4, 2020

Do you find it odd that there are only videos of white people acting out? What would you think if I posted a video black women gets violent? That would be seen as racist and taken down...Hmmmm Do you honestly think poc never crime or act hateful and that they all suffer more than white people when we had a black president or 8 years. We have black millionaires and black cops. Look up crime stats. Look up hate groups. 144 antiwhite hate groups in this country according to our very liberal southern poverty law, the very same that also reports the kkk which actually has about 1 third the number of chapters than there are anti white hate groups. Meanwhile you have a leader in BLM that is tied to Louis Farrakhan the guy that believes white people are the devil and talks about killing and enslaving them. Meanwhile people are yelling chanting death threats to police and blocking emergency vehicles and preventing people from being able to get home to their families and that isnt peaceful. Also blowing up police cars not peaceful Why don't they also protest the street crime that results in the deaths of thousands and thousands?Dont those lives matter? I watched leaders if BLM preach their Marxism. You should read up on what happened under Stalin. Communism weakened the power of everyday citizens and is a set up for a totalitarian government where freedoms like freedom of speech and freedoms of religion are more easily punished. They are purposefully promoting an anti police agenda in effort to weaken the system of government. Enemies of the state try to destroy America. Americans work to make the lives of other Americans better.

Your racial ignorance is overwhelming. I don't even have time in this weekend to correct all the egregious errors you've spouted, so I am not going to even try. But to your mischaracterization of motivation, prejudice, and discrimination among people of different demographics, of course there is ignorant and destructive behavior from people of all demographics. But the chief difference I actually witness between black and white people not wearing masks is: People of color, for the most part, are doing it out of ignorance and apathy. White folks have those two bases covered but (many, of course not all) add to their motivation a hefty politically defiant "Fuck You!" sentiment. They are purposefully defying the public health experts, because they are supporting their appallingly irresponsible political leaders. If you don't recognize that obvious truth, it is simply because you don't want to, and no one will ever convince you otherwise.

@MikeInBatonRouge I think it is incredibly naive to pretend that you know ALL the motivations and to think that there arent people who would like to weaken America. I definitely think there are those that want people to love each other better and support equality truthfully. I have also seen a lot of Anti Americanism and information left out. People are so afraid of seeming racist they arent able to hold intelligent conversations. I've seen white people no mask poc no mask some can't wear a mask. It's sad and it's scary and I don't want to see America fall apart in crisis. I want to see us United working for a well world. You may have been among those with peaceful healing messages and not noticed the destructiveness. We most likely have not seen the same footage or witnessed the same. There are people of all color including white suffering and we need to help not hurt help each other.

@MikeInBatonRouge And if you found one egregious error in what I wrote..I would like to know which fact incorrect as I don't want to misrepresent reality.

@MikeInBatonRouge [splcenter.org]

@thinkwithme

LIke @MikeinBatonRouge, I don't have time to correct your multiple race-baiting, incorrect statements.

@MikeInBatonRouge And I can see already where I made a mistake, 255 black separatist groups in 2019, people who hate white people

@LiterateHiker you guys seem to avoid real conversations. Are you afraid of getting put on a list and being loaded up and put in camps or something? This is still America.

@LiterateHiker Also white hate doesnt really help the cause does it? I believe we are all the human race.

I fear that that when the black people are being violent.. they are found swinging from a tree... not having a video made of them

You did manage to make a couple statements that weren't racist during your monumental ignorant rant. I would suggest that you consider redirecting your hate towards fascism, but that would cause you to hate yourself

Seat belts, rubber gloves, surgeon masks, hard hats, chaps, brake bars on chain saws, roll cages, hand rails, no-skid stair steps, stop lights, yield signs, brake lights, turn signals, bubble wrap, steel tip boots, anti venom, safety glass, the list goes on and I'm sure you all can add to the list.

Things we need but do not have - term limits, abolish electoral college, etc.

Well said and so very right, You can not teach people who do not want to listen and have no understanding of reasoning or protecting there fellow humans .It is all about them ,but there so stupid that they can not see it is themselves that they are truely effecting ,lets hope it is not to late if and when they releize that they were so very wrong

That about sums it up. Some people say it’s all the masks’ fault. That is so insane. The insanity is really those who won’t help their fellow man (and woman) but wearing not.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:512160
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.