Agnostic.com

18 4

Is the grass greener on the other side? What if???

Being satisfied, content, grateful, and just at peace with ones self can be a hard accomplishment for some people. Everytime we pass a certain style home I have to hear that's my dream house from my wife. Asking yourself would I feel better living in the mountains. Would I be happy living near a clean ocean instead of the gulf coast. Wouldn't it be nice to live on the lake with a view. Wouldn't it be nice to live near nova Scotia. Is it a chemical imbalance for us to constantly consider other options or are we programmed to strive?

BucketlistBob 8 Apr 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

An ol'boy in Texas told me "the grass may be greener over there but ya still gotta mow it"

I don’t think the grass is greener on the other side. It’s green where you water it.

Once you have made piece with yourself, you can be happy right where you are.

ebdb Level 7 Apr 8, 2018

The grass is definitely brown here. If we are programmed to strive, I’ve got a virus.

I forget who said it but....The Grass isn't really Greener on the other side, it's just a different shade of green.

Been there, done that. Moved here in 95, moved away 10 years later looking for more, came back after a year. Went away again a few years later, after 2 years I was back again. Seems I have found the place that is most suited to me on balance. I doesn't have everything I want, and has lots I don't want. But a closer match than anywhere else.

I think at a certain point we all have to just stick with what we have. When is enough enough? If someone ALWAYS has that drive and question of whether there is something better, then are they ever truly happy? They never will be. It's like the person who has a great relationship with someone, but something is just "missing" and they go out there searching for it. Somehow "settling" has become one of the most negative words in American society. No surprise with capitalism being the gold standard.

settle: 1. resolve or reach an agreement about (an argument or problem) 2. adopt a more steady or secure style of life, especially in a permanent job and home

So is not settling just chaos and not having a solution?

@LetzGetReal What double negatives? When I mean stick with what we have, I mean in terms of the job we have, or the relationship we have with our significant other. Many people think there is always something better out there. If you have a job that pays $125K a year, the next step is a job that pays what? $150K? Then $200K? Then? If you have a wonderful significant other, but you feel like something is missing, do you leave them in search for that "something"? Is it just you (in general) that has something missing, and not your significant other? You can never be satisfied with that.

My opinion is that most people are just never happy. At the end of the day what's the most important thing ?

Depends which side your on

My grass is green. I like my grass. Idc about anyone else's greener grass.

Cool...

I don't want to mow the grass anymore, so l avoid the green grass.

The other side is Field Turf.

godef Level 7 Apr 6, 2018

I think sometimes it is societal influenced, particularly here in the US. We need bigger, we need better. We need to keep up with the Jones. And sometimes it is just dreaming. I have a couple houses I am absolutely in love with. Realistically, I know that I'm not likely to own them, but it's lovely to consider.

I think too that there are always drawbacks to the other side of the fence. The bigger pasture means more time and money to care for, less free time and less expendable cash.

I agree, I think it is an US issue- but not just "bigger" and "better." Combining that with instant gratification and celebration of avarice & greed that turns a large portion of society into Veruca Salt, instead of just appreciating and enjoying a house, a building, etc, we're trained to WANT it and if can't have it, there's something wrong... with us or society, or ???

The puzzling thing about is that it is ALWAYS greener, regardless which side one is at the time !!

My guess is it's just part of human nature, and as such, can be overcome by training, self-discipline, maturity, etc. (or given in to with wild abandon!)

skado Level 9 Apr 6, 2018

I love traveling and often wonder what if I lived there. I am open to change. Just need to find the right partner in crime.

Sometimes but not always and looks can be deceiving

The grass is always greener because it's fertilised with bullshit ! ..........

Well said...

Beat me to it....

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:51306
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.