Agnostic.com

14 4

Should student loans be forgiven?

Grecio 7 July 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

College expense in the USA has become stratospheric. An actual hindrance to getting a higher education. But people knew this when they applied and accepted, Catch22. They shouldn't get a free pass. Pay off the principal. Pay off 75% of the principal and do not ask for any further government assistance of any kind and take the hit on your credit score. The government paid off these loans with our tax money. Let me know how much would be added to my taxes of college became free in the USA. It is just not fair to give them a free pass. It is a complex question.

The question of whether student loans should be forgiven is a complex and debated topic. It depends on various factors and perspectives. Some argue that forgiveness can provide relief to struggling borrowers, while others believe it may not be fair to those who've already paid off their loans.
When discussing financial assistance and loans, it's essential to consider various options, which can provide insights into alternative lending solutions. You can explore more about these options at loans with people with bad credit. Ultimately, the decision regarding student loan forgiveness involves a range of economic, social, and political considerations.

I think many educators and state leaders are beginning to see high school as a waste of time, at least to some degree. Many students getting college credits while attending vocational schools prior to graduation.
I know some students that graduate from high school and already have 1 year of college credit. What is the hurry, unless high school is not valuable?
Students that graduate early are just going to start their 40 year career early.

Grecio Level 7 July 13, 2020

A college degree will help a person get a job. However, most degrees don't teach much toward a job. College degrees are valuable because they tell an employer that this person will stick with it, and they will listen to authority. If a person majors in math then the degree doesn't teach them to become anything more than a math teacher. Same for English. Science, maybe. A major in history is a waste of time unless you are to become a lawyer later.
Degreed people will, on the average earn more money.
If a person earns $15 per hour then he/she will earn about $30,000 a year. However, If a person earns $10,000 per year more than he/she would have then in 30 years they would earn $300,000 more in a lifetime (career). That amount of money amounts to several new automobiles.

Perhaps I have a strange take on this, but. Any one who had a loan that was predatory should be able to have the loan investigated to make it fair for the person taking out the loan. I know of people who have been paying on their loans for over fifteen years and have not yet hit the principle of the loan. That is outrageous. Many people who have gone to school and worked several jobs to pay their way through should be rewarded if the loans are relieved en masse. Perhaps this could be done by tax relief directly to the degree holder.
What bothers me the most is that the Conservatives have ruined the economy and made it so there are not as many jobs as there were once. Many jobs have gone to those overseas. The cheeto says he has expanded the number of jobs in the US but this is a lie. So the economy gets ruined and the number of jobs is decreased and the those who do not have jobs are called bad names.
It would be easy to increase the number of jobs in the US. It would be easy to spur the economy and have plenty of jobs for people, the problem is that this takes an investment, which those in control do not want to do.
Investments have gone to people and businesses that are already profitable and doing well in the economy even when it is being ruined. The cheeto has been probing up the stock market so that it remains at a higher level than it should be at. When the shit hits the fan, if the cheeto gets re-elected then all will go to shit really fast and the economy will take even more money to prop it up and there is no where for it to come from other than by just putting the country into further debt. The debt does not matter at this time as the interest rate is so low it has almost hit zero. It done not even pay to park money in gov't bonds as they do not return enough to keep the cost even.

No ,why should this be different from any other loan ,plus many of these students when to colleges they could not afford .If you buy a house you can not afford should the mortgage be forgiven?

fedup Level 6 July 13, 2020

No ,for the reasons already stated

granny Level 6 July 13, 2020

No .My parents and I paid for my Tuition to an affordable local collage with out any f..... loans ,why should they get a free ride .

lori99 Level 5 July 13, 2020

Just a question, are you using your degree in what you are doing? I almost had a bachelor's in Philosophy, but could not finish the requirements.

@dalefvictor Yes .I went to St Johns in Queens ( 4 year degree)then went to the more affordable Queens Collage (2 years )for my Masters degree in early childhood education ) .I worked as a teacher while I took classes for my Masters .I have been lucky and have always been employed as a teacher

@lori99 Great to hear you are using your degree. Also, a teacher is one of those professions that pay nowhere near what it should. When I am dictator I will make sure all teachers are paid much more than they are now.

Absolutely not .Many students choose to go to colleges they can not afford instead of affordable ones because their stupid parents do not advise them properly .Make the parents pay .

Why the hell should they be forgiven ,is that fair to students who worked their asses off to put themselves thru college with out any loans or the parents like me who had the brains to have only one child and took on the responsibility and paid for my daughters 6 years of collage unlike irresponsible dumb asses who have children and don’t t give a shit about paying for their offsprings educations.No one should have children if they can not pay for their education in the first place .This has nothing to do with the question if colleges should be free .That is another subject.

of course they should.

Why not? There are loads of politicians who got their student loans written off back when it was legal to erase them via bankruptcy declarations.

Not sure. I wouldn't oppose a forgivable loan program from the start. Someone who struggled for 20 years to pay down their loan would be frustrated to know that someone who made no attempt to pay down their loan had it forgiven. I see that as unfair.

barjoe Level 9 July 13, 2020

I say no because millions of students worked two jobs to put themselves through school. Many students got a useless degree by which they cannot earn a living.

You're answering your own question again.

Working to put yourself through college isn't really an option anymore. That worked back when college was actually affordable but nowadays, unless you have rich generous parents or scholarships, you will be going into debt for a decent education.

who gives a shit if others paid for it? what does that have to do with anything?

@barjoe Am I not allowed an opinion because I wrote the question? sorry

@Grecio you're allowed to do anything you want

I do not know what a useless degree means. I know of people that have high positions in business and have a degree in art history or geography. It is not the degree that means anything unless it is required for a particular job. Having said this I know of schools that are worthless and so their degrees are also useless. These are for-profit schools and some religious schools. Having said that I know of great schools that are religious.

@barjoe Well excuse me for having an opinion.

@RoboGraham Well said. good point.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:515041
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.