Agnostic.com

4 6

LINK The Role of Cognitive Dissonance in the Pandemic - The Atlantic

The minute we make any decision—I think COVID-19 is serious; no, I’m sure it is a hoax—we begin to justify the wisdom of our choice and find reasons to dismiss the alternative.

HippieChick58 9 July 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If you have not read Festringer's book, WHEN PROPHESY FAILS, you should. Festinger was brilliant.

As the article suggests, staying with the dissonance is the right thing to do... for the short term. For the long term, it’s good to discover what’s causing that dissonance, and relieve it by aligning with the verifiable facts.

skado Level 9 July 13, 2020

I'm the ultimate skeptic. If something is unlikely and there's no evidence to support it, it's probably bullshit.

barjoe Level 9 July 13, 2020

Couldn't agree more....guess I should have been born in Missouri (the Show Me state).
What i find endlessly interesting is the amount of baffled and/or hostile replies I get on here, where the IQ is demonstrably higher than on, say, FB.....the "well i agree with you but you didn't say it nicely"....WTF is That?!

Interesting read

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:515075
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.