Agnostic.com

4 1

Pond Scum?

Stephen Hawkins, a world renowned quatim phisicist, wrote that people are basically "pond scum". I guess, what he meant is that there is no God, and people are just part of evolution as any other creature is that lives on Earth. People are not much different than living mammals of any sort. Are humans "pond scum"? What do you think?

Grecio 7 July 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Stephen "Hawkins", was a "quatim phisicist,"

never heard of him or it

I don't think you are much into Science.

@Grecio ummm you are not much into recognizing sarcasm......

@AnneWimsey I am sorry, my bad.

forgot to post my usual clarification

Meh. In the context that he's using, I'd agree that we're basically pond scum. In another context (say, morals or social behavior,) I'd argue that there are important differences.

Our brain is what we are. We have very little control over our brains. In the words of Sam Harris, conscience is an illusion.

Consciousness is an illusion, Sam Harris.

hard to argue with mr. Hawkins on that. planets just a big rock pretty much. got some water and sunlight - eventually festered up some life.

Well said.

Quatim, is actually spelled quantum, a modern physics area. Quantum physics actually is the study of atomic particles and how they behave. Quantum physics actually paved the way for the atomic bomb and numerous other principles including those that relate to extra-modern computers.

Grecio Level 7 July 14, 2020

You're correcting your own spelling here? That's an interesting move...but I applaud it. While you're at it, I think that it's Hawking, not Hawkins.

@AmyTheBruce Good points, my apology. I was Science and Math, but I haven't figured out if I have a spelling disability or otherwise.

@AmyTheBruce Thank you. You apparently are an English major. Have you ever speed read a Calculous textbook?

@Grecio I am neither a major nor a master of English - I'm more of a hobbyist. 😁 And no, alas, my mathematical skills took me only as far as probability and statistics.

@Grecio Oh I'm up late working and am bored.

Oh wow, look at that picture! I just had this meter nearby the laptop - and noticed that when it was next to your picture and comments? It went wild, making clicking sounds like crazy!! Look at that meter thing . . . 168.59 uSv/h ?! 17.86 mR/h ?! You should look those numbers up, those are kind of high!! How can that much energy be coming over the internet from you?!

Well its cool!

(I'm bored)

@AmyTheBruce Did you notice my spelling of Calculus?

@Grecio Sadly, no, I did not.

@AmyTheBruce Actually, that is pretty good math. I always had trouble with probability and statistics. What was interesting is that I actually had a job for about 10 years where I actually got to use statistics a lot.

@Grecio I took prob&stats twice at the local college: once in my teens, taught by the department head, and once in my thirties, taught by a kid fresh out of college.

Both were geniuses. But for some reason, it was so much easier to learn from the kid. Maybe she explained things in a more holistic way. Maybe the older department head was too experienced in teaching other types of math, and introduced them unnecessarily . Maybe my own receptivity had changed.

I haven't found much need for the actual math of statistics in my daily life. I have found, though, that the general understanding of them has led to a healthy skepticism. Numbers are often cited, after all, to advance some argument or another. It is good to take a moment to think about how, exactly, that particular number was arrived at*.

*Don't you dare call me out on my dangling participle! Sometimes they must be excused.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:515428
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.