Agnostic.com

13 23

Climbed Mission Peak today. You have to be like a mountain goat.

Today Karen and I climbed Mission Peak, 6,876'. We hiked 6.7 miles with 2,460' feet in elevation gain and loss.

The gravel road was washed out. We parked 1-1/2 miles from the trail. Walked uphill on the road with a little stream running beside it. Voracious mosquitoes attacked.

I had sprayed Permethrin insect repellent (lasts through 6 washings) on my clothes, hat plus inside hat brim, and pack. To keep mosquitoes away from my face, I sprayed the backs of my hands and patted strong, stinky Deet insect spray on my face, neck, chest and ears. Didn't get a single insect bite.

Most people don't make it to the top. For several years, I was too scared. You have to be like a mountain goat. The last push is a steep, spiraling, narrow jumble of sharp, sliding rocks underfoot with a huge drop-off on one side. Terrifying.

Today I made it to the top, on hands and feet at times. Formerly there was a fire lookout at the summit. All that's left are cement supports bolted onto the rock. And mountain views.

Wildflowers were magnificent. It looked like Switzerland.

Photos:

1. Mt. Rainier, 14,411 feet, the highest mountain in Washington State.

2. Extremely rare, miniature, alpine Tweedy's Lewisia only grows in North Central Washington at high elevations.

3. Mt. Stuart, 9,416 feet, and the Enchantment Mountains.

4. Glacier Peak, 10,000 feet, last erupted 10,000 years ago. It blasted silica eastward. North Central Washington mountains are granite with occasional bands of silica.

Granite mountains are a rock climber's paradise because granite doesn't crumble.

1. Lupine flowers.
LiterateHiker 9 July 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Good job !
Mt. Ranier looks most impressive !

twill Level 7 July 15, 2020
  1. Is Mt. Rainier the most rainy mountain? 😛

2. Congrats on surviving such a difficult hike. 😀

3. Nice story and beautiful photos, as always. 😀

@BestWithoutGods

Thank you so much!

Weather patterns at Mount Rainier are strongly influenced by the Pacific Ocean, elevation, and latitude. The climate is generally cool and rainy, with summer highs in the 60s and 70s. While July and August are the sunniest months of the year, rain is possible any day, and very likely in spring, fall, and winter.

At higher elevations, it snows on Mt. Rainier year-round. In the summer, hikers can die of hypothermia in a snowstorm if they don't bring winter clothing and gear.

"The first time I climbed Mt. Bachelor in Oregon, I just wore shorts and a T-shirt," a man I met in the gym said. "'It's July,' I stupidly thought. A huge snowstorm hit and we had to spend the night on the glacier."

"One of the climbers I didn't know brought extra cold-weather clothes for others. He loaned me a down jacket and pants. I squeezed into his tent for the night. He saved my life."

"I never went unprepared again."

Wow!! What an incredible accomplishment! Amazing pics. Congratulations.

@Reason-Able

Thank you!

wow,so happy you over come your fear and safely made it up and down, must have been exilerating for you and a big sigh of relief when you were finished ,Love your pics so beautiful ,when i visit Victoria ,on Vancouver island on the lower end Sooke region i can see Mt Rainer from there ,impressive

@RoyMillar

Thank you!

As you see from the pictures, the rocks are not flat.

It's difficult to walk on a jumble of sharp, rolling rocks. Easy to fall or sprain your ankle.

Descending, when the trail was finally dirt, I breathed a sigh of relief.

You had me confused until I realized it was a different Mission Peak from my local one. That's only 1800' elevation gain and mosquitoes are never a problem.

Sounds like so much masochistic pleasure. Don't mine me....just jealous I am too feeble to do the same. A million and seventeen kudos for your accomplishment..the pictures are great.

@HankSherman

Thanks for your million and seventeen kudos.

I want to see a photo of your hands after doing that.

Jolanta

I wore gloves.

@LiterateHiker You are so cleaver.

@Jolanta

Did you mean clever? If so, thanks!

Congratulations! Great job!

Great photography. Wish I could hike with you. 😀

@ADKSparky

Thank you! Me, too.

@LiterateHiker I don’t think I’ll be on the west coast to see family any time soon. 😟 l know the Adirondack flora but not the flora of the NW. You’d be a good teacher. 🧐

I think the goat analogy is your star of skill and success! So glad you finally made it, on a beautiful day, and back down safely - congrats!

@tinkercreek

Thank you, dear!

You are in such great shape! I am sure I wouldn’t have lived through it. Great pictures! Do you think the views are clearer this year because of lack of pollution, even there?

@BudFrank

Today was a clear blue day. The mountain are rarely so clear.

By afternoon, the mountains blended into a white haze. From Seattle?

Not much air pollution in Wenatchee, WA. The worst is wildfire smoke.

Nice pics.

lol... are you saying you're some kind of Goat?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:515464
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.