Agnostic.com

14 2

If you love someone truly love them, and there is a small hiccup in the relationship...I believe they never truly loved you if they can't stand by you and work things out...Any thoughts???

Mom3xs1 4 July 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think a relationship between two people should be made consciously and clearly and not muffled in an undiscussed blind love. If a hiccup comes about in a conscious relationship it would be easily worked out within the determination of being together. A hiccup in a blind love sequence may be a wake up call to the reality that I don't really know you or I don't really like you and anyway out will be welcomed. So it depends. Its not just about loving someone, its Do They Love You Back in the same way? We tend to assume things will go well with just the good feelings of love, but good feelings should be worked through with getting to know someone thoroughly and seeing if you really like them or if they really like you. Otherwise you may just be trying to fool yourself or be wishful thinking.

I do "small hiccups" all the time. My fiance deals with me and work things out. Based on what you mentioned, that in my opinion, Should not be the reason to end a relationship. Sure is the reason to have a talk and try preventing from happening again.
I would take a step back and analyze bf. Lile others said - he might be an obsessive jealous person. Might as well end things now.

Love? Different for each person. Find someone with the same definition. I did & it turned to shit anyway.

And by "hiccup" do you mean they forgot to get bread, or infidelity??? HUGE difference!

The hiccup was I was ordered by a judge to be a custodian of a future inmate... I work for an attorney. My ex bf wanted to go to my check ins with me and the client said no. I knew this person from my job. I should of demanded in hindsight that my bf must go but that was the hiccup

That sounds like an overly possesive, jealous and overly protective boyfriend. Smothering. Dump him and run.

That sounds Weird (to insist to go....what business would they have there????)
Not a "hiccup", a major red flag...my first husband wanted to go into my GYN appointments "just in case" and he was a total nightmare that I am lucky to have physically & mentally survived.

Depends on what you mean by hiccup.

Kind of depends on the hiccup. Love should never be boundless. Boundless love is the surest path to abuse.

Violations of trust or failures of respect are not small hiccups. But if they want to call it quits and you're hanging on or if you're using this forum to garner support for your position I can understand them wanting to leave.

Characteristics of true love is that it is unselfish, enduring in times of trouble, always considerate of the other person’s feelings and quick to ask forgiveness when you have hurt the other party!

APhg Level 3 July 15, 2020

yep

skado Level 9 July 15, 2020

Since we each have different tolerances for "small hiccups" - which in itself is a subjective phrase, I would be hesitant to measure love based on an individual's reaction to a detour in the relationship road. Having a hard and fast mindset regarding any human behavior can quickly become self defeating.

Some folks might need time to digest the issue, some will be accepting, and some may vanish. But I don't see any of these choices as necessarily indicating a lack of a deep love.

Holding love hostage might even be a manipulative ploy of some ...
"if you really loved me, you'd ... "

There are hiccups in any relationship. The strength of the relationship is determined by how many of those hiccups the relationship survives.

But I don't know if loving someone and commitment to a relationship are synonymous because you can love someone without being in an intimate relationship with them. Also, some people aren't good at relationship or problem solving or both. All you can do is your best, ask for what you want and accept the outcome. Not everyone wants to be in a relationship and not everyone knows how.

Truth.

Some people are pretty fickle about love. Unless you stay married for life, all relationships end. It's usually for the best.

barjoe Level 9 July 15, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:515665
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.