Agnostic.com

6 0

If you find yourself in a box, how do you get out?

AstralSmoke 8 Nov 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I do get lonesome when I go for days without talking to anyone. And often, I'll have weeks where I'm just deep in a funk where I have no appetite and sleep too many or too few hours.

So, when I'm in a box.... I don't really know how to get out.

I think it's important to realize you're in a box before you decide to get out.

I typically refuse to be boxed in in the first place, but for the times that anyone dares to try, I tend to unnerve them with some unexpected or embarrassing (for them) behavior and make my escape while they are shaking their head in disgust.

Zster Level 8 Nov 25, 2017

Love it! Can 'see' you doing exactly that.

I thought of a couple of snarky remarks....

"With a box cutter".

"Is thsi the same box that holds Schrodinger's cat?"

Seriously though, I am in agreement that most "boxes" are just a state of mind and conditioning. We feel we have no decisions, only because we have closed off the best decisions, to get us out of our boxes. We often don't see our best options because we have been conditioned not to consider them as options. That is why you hear so many times that a person needs to "Think out of the box".

If you feel you are out of options you need to break your rules for "normal" and what you think to be "the right way to act."

I have mentioned here several times about how Durkeim's study of suicide found that people who live under rigid religions are three times as lkely to commit suicide as the general population. These people have closed off options and choices for themselves to a poitn where they feel they are trapped and can't fo on. They need to break out of the sif imposed rigid rules which make them so miserable.

When you find yourself thinking, "I can't do that?" you really need to ask yourself "Why not?" Living though the consequences of breaking the rules is a lto less miserable than being trapped in the box.

It's interesting that you'd mention "I can't do that". My son has been saying that a lot lately (10). I tell him to look at things differently and ask himself "How can I do that?"

That is a hard question to answer with specificity. I have found myself in many boxes or binds over time. In each, I have tried to interpret the situation and what causes and draw up a quick plan of action to resolve the situation to my satisfaction while maintaining my integrity. My exact actions have varied hugely, depending on the situation.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I've been expecting a 'boxcutter', but that hasn't come up yet.

@VictoriaNotes Guess it sort of depends on my mood. If in a sarcastic one, sure.

What is the box made of?

Does it really matter?

Use reverse operations?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5161
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.