Agnostic.com

34 20

I feel tired of memes. Your thoughts?

Overuse of memes shows a lack of maturity and originality. People hide behind memes. Memes numb vulnerability.

When we are authentic in our writing, we show who we really are. This requires the courage to be vulnerable, to show our weaknesses. People love it.

"We numb vulnerability," Brene' Brown, Ph.D., explained in her groundbreaking TED Talk, The Power of Vulnerability. "We cannot selectively numb. What happens is we numb joy, we numb gratitude, we numb happiness."

After interviewing thousands of couples in long-term, loving relationships, Brene' Brown's research boiled down to one thing:

They have the courage to be vulnerable.

Please write something original. Show who you are. People love it. Judgment stops when storytelling begins.

In my hiking stories, I write about feeling fear (crossing lively creeks on slippery logs, avalanche danger, terrifying knife-edge trails). Pushing myself to overcome fear. Having the courage to say "NO" when a situation feels too dangerous. Then feeling ashamed for being a weenie.

This is universal. Everyone feels fear and shame.

Your thoughts?

LiterateHiker 9 July 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments (26 - 34)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As with most things, in excess, use of memes can definitely be toxic. The exception, for me, is the truly humorous ones. Anything that makes me laugh is a good thing in my book, and there are some truly witty meme makers out there. Laughter doesn't come from a numb place. But to use them exclusively to convey political or self help/philosophical sentiments seems to me a curtain someone is hiding behind as well. Though, truth be told, the more I am exposed to people's thoughts, I think some of them use them simply because they are incapable of an independent and coherent thought, and I suspect they became numb a loooong time ago.

Everyone does but with carpal tunnel and using a tablet memes are simpler

bobwjr Level 10 July 19, 2020

@bobwjr

Everyone does what?

@LiterateHiker feels fear and shame

As times get darker I find more comfort in memes, probably for the numbing effect. I hate being too emotional and it's a way to express my frustrations without losing my mind.

I agree with Brene Brown it does really take lots and lots of courage to be vulnerable and I had not thought about the numb part before

Memeing the power of vulnerability is a numb idea.

Although I can see the funny side of many of them, it's not something I relate to. After all, it's not really something for my generation. I avoid using them as my sense of humour probably won't be understood if I use them.

Vulnerability doesn't work for me. I always end up getting played.

@BitFlipper

I'm don't know what you mean by, "I always end up being played."

Sounds like the walls you put up push women away.

Instead of blaming others, take responsibility for your own behavior. Look for patterns in relationships. This will give you insight.

@LiterateHiker In this case "getting played" means they know from the beginning that they're not interested but they play with my emotions anyway.

@BitFlipper

Please stop playing victim. Take responsibility for your own behavior. Stop blaming women.

Women may be initially interested in you. That's normal. Remember, with online dating:

NOTHING IS REAL UNTIL YOU MEET.

I especially hate the unreferenced ones that are unreferenced because they aren't true. I'm with you, maybe if we ignore them they'll eventually go away.

Considering the constant attacks on speech. Cancel culture being at the forefront of late.
The boundaries that are societaly acceptable are getting futher into sillyness.
That exposed case of admistring estrogene to a kid in California. Without parental approval. Is absolutely scary.

He apparently now needs surgery to remove excess breast tissue..

As far as gimmicky memes & visually effective ways of portraying a humourous message.. I leave that to the experts.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:516853
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.