Agnostic.com

6 4

LINK Destroying trust in the media, science, and government has left America vulnerable to disaster

"Such attacks over many decades have succeeded. According to the
American National Election Study, back in the 1960s, more than 70% of Americans trusted “the government in Washington to do what is right” either “most of the time” or “just about always.” In the last few decades, that percentage has regularly been in the teens and twenties."

Amzungu 8 July 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Agreed, the educational system has been ruined by allowing the privatization(via "greed" ) of educational system starting with Kindergarten up to Community Colleges and basic 4-Year colleges...all for a BUCK that the middle class will NOT profit from in any manner!
BUT...now...what's worst is the presidential orangutan via Malfeasance, Misfeasance, & Nonfeasance is allowing encouraging the COVID virus to run rampant throughout America. As it stands, the COVID death rate is ~10,000/Week...which has also impacted our Educational System from K12 and college systems.

America was long overdue for a good disaster. We tend to be legends in our own minds as a rule.

t1nick Level 8 July 19, 2020

This lies squarely on the Republican party. They created this mess to hold on to power by scaring the stupid. How it gets fixed, I have no idea.

we need Walter Cronkite.

Haven't seen stories from Brookings, especially stories so critical of the administration from a self-described "independent and non-partisan" organization.

I noticed that as well. But honestly, at this point, calling out Trump's or the administration's role in mishandling this pandemic or how they contribute flagrantly to the areas of mistrust noted isn't really a partisan issue, it's simple reality. The fact that it is their loyalty to their party and the benefits they see in continuing this course of mistrust that has driven their decisions is just that, fact.

@Amzungu I would not call it fact (facts are 'datum' ), but I would call the evidence very persuasive. Not sure, but I hope swing voters in Senate races will be persuaded also.

@FearlessFly It's been a known strategy of the Republican party since the mid 60's. They're just ALL IN on it now, when we desperately need them to embrace a different approach.

I just can't figure out why if they distrust everything they trust Trump. I don't get it.

barjoe Level 9 July 19, 2020

Neither do I.

Because Trump says he distrusts everything too.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:516968
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.