Agnostic.com

9 30

Yes, I am an atheist.

JonnaBononna 7 July 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

After reading all the comments, especially the agnostic/atheist schism ones, I am glad that I class myself as Apatheist. I really don't relate to statements about a god belief. I truly do not care about it. It has not place in my life as I strive to live the same way the caption on the meme states. I truly accept that we all have a right to "believe" in something bigger than ourselves, or not, but have found being self-reliant and caring about others makes me happiest.

And I always remember this saying attached below.

Watch out for those Xstians, they are like crabs in a bucket. You're trying to show them the way out and lend a helping hand but they just want to drag you back down into that bucket.

The definition of a Theist is as follows,
Theist - a person who seeks out a very normal, free-thinking person and seeks to drag them down to their level.

Love this! Thank you.

I have been an atheist since age 13, when I realized the Bible is just a book of stories or fables written by men. Like Grimm's Fairy Tales.

@Unpretentious "The bible is a mixture of historical fact and fiction," you have to joking.
As both an Atheist first and a Theolgian second, I'd sincerely suggest and state emphatically that absolutely NOWHERE within the Bible can be found ANY Historical Factuality/Factualities what-so-ever.
From the very first word of Genesis to the last word of Revelations it IS 100% fictional.

Love it!

then one might ask why you are on an agnostic site 😉

There are a few theist agnostics on this site, but most here are atheist agnostics.

There's a lot of atheists on here.

I do not understand your response.
Please elaborate.

@HumanistJohn oh, just strikes me funny for some reason, but i guess the def of agnostic is pretty subjective anyway, now.
What @Unpretentious says below tho, basically

@OldMetalHead well or maybe at least as religious ppl, yeh

@Unpretentious ok well fwiw dictionaries are bought by ppl who want to manipulate definitions, and webster hasnt owned websters for a long time..."Agnostic" used to mean "against knowledge" i guess which doesnt quite mean what it sounds like, as "Gnostics" were about then, claiming all sorts of "knowledge," pretty much like "believers" do today? "If you don't believe in Jesus you're going to hell? In ignorance of the Bible btw,
He who says he knows anything, doesnt yet know as he ought
No son of man may dies for another's sins,
He who digs a pit for others to fall into ends up in it himself

etc. The Esau story, even, makes it pretty plain i guess; just put Jesus in the place of the "red stew"

@Unpretentious "existence" is actually not something Yah is even going for i don't think, at least not by the def of "objective evidence," as revealed in the I AM passages i guess; basically a redux of your last line there i think? 🙂

It offends me a lot when people come and tell me things like "May God guide you through the straight path" If he can do that, then why isn't he doing It? This is really unfair. 😯😯😯😯

but how do you know that He is not? What would this guidance look like, iyo?

AMEN ! 🙂

Buddha Level 8 July 21, 2020

You are being logical toward illogical thinkers.

Is it illogical to say that one does not believe in the existence of any gods? I, as an atheist, do not claim to know there are no gods, only that I see no reason to believe there are any.

@Joanne I'm not sure you are taking my statement as intended, but that said, there is absolutely no way to prove a god or gods exist. If a supreme being appears, that does not prove gods do, except for the idea of "miner gods." Can even death prove the existence? Maybe. But, again, logic would say, you are dead and your perceptions can be altered.
The idea that one needs a god to be a good person is where my stance on illogical thinking stands. People can be and are good or bad whether they believe in some god or not. Many of those people, who do believe, think only god believers can be good. Many others of the same ilk recognize even non believers can be good, but do to their non belief are condemned to some other fate than the real believers will experience (usually a bad fate, or just nothingness - which most atheists believe anyway).

@Beowulfsfriend : Oh, okay. Thanks for the clarification on that. And, I wholeheartedly agree that it is illogical to think that one can only be a good person if they believe in a god. In actuality, it can be shown that god-believers are responsible for many horrific things-- thus proving that believing in a god does not make a person good. And, nothingness is what I desire after death. The thought of living forever is not appealing to me in the least. Life has no meaning if there is no death.

@Beowulfsfriend belief is not the standard that believers make it out to be, as the Bible makes clear in many places, The Good Samaritan (Samaritans were considered unbelievers), The Throne judgement (all will be judged for their works) and etc, and he who digs a pit for others to fall into ends up in it himself
so no offense but i often wonder how many are atheists simply as a reaction against religious believers, who are btw the most vilified group in the Bible! Understand why the publicans and prostitutes are beating you into the kingdom is addressed to believers

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:517414
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.