Agnostic.com

10 3

Have you read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? What are your thoughts on it?

Hello,

I started reading the book a few days ago after an atheist friend of mine recommended it to me. I am soooo mesmerised. The books has amazing characters (I love Marvin), and great philosophical arguments (for example by giving the number 42 as an answer, Adams settled the question of what is the meaning of the universe once and for all; it is a meaningless stupid question that can only give stupid answers).

I absolutely love it and look forward to reading the rest of the series.

tsallinia 6 July 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Lot of fond memories, but not the books I go back and reread. Maybe the movies tarnished the fondness?

I read it in my 20s. "Hitchhiker's Guide the the Galaxy" wasn't memorable.

Greater books stood the test of time.

It’s great teenage literature. Similar in quality to The Wizard of Earthsea.

Only book for many years that made me laugh out loud. And especially when faced with obstructive government, I always think about the planning notice pinned up in a basement behind a locked door marked, 'beware of the leopard'.

PS. Spoiler, it may also make you cry, which is amazing for a light hearted fantasy, but you have that yet to come in the later books.

I especially liked the explanation for the accidental origin of humanity on the supercomputer earth -- the Golgafrinchan Ark Fleet Ship B created to eliminate all the useless telephone sanitizers and such from their population.
Then of course that their society afterwards collapsed from a dirty telephone contracted disease.

I happened to read the book first so I was a little disappointed that the tv show didn't have the entire story. But I very much enjoyed them both.

RichCC Level 8 July 22, 2020

Beware spoilers, he has only read the first. LOL

Brilliant books. I hope you enjoy the rest in the seies.

Thank you 🙂 I look forward to it 🙂

I’m a huge Douglas Adams fan — read all the books in this series and many of his essays. (I enjoyed the various filmed versions, but the books give one so much more!) I still remember eagerly anticipating a new book from him when I heard of his untimely passing. Brilliant thinker and wonderful storyteller.

I did not read the book but I did enjoy the BBC series, I did not think the movie was all that good, reading the books is probably a winter project this year. Oh yes I forgot, 42 is ASCII for an asterisk, look for the footnotes. 😁😉🤔

You will enjoy it the most if you are familiar with and appreciate British humor. And no, it is not a version of the bible, updated or otherwise.

I believe every word of it.

Hahaha, it's such an updated version over the Bible (aka Iron Age Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy), isn't it? lol

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:517649
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.