Agnostic.com

13 9

‘Stay away.’ ‘Biggest petri dish in the world.’ The view from Canada, of us, isn’t so nice.

Remember how people would joke about moving to Canada when politics would go terribly? Well, columnist Danny Westneat says, as coronavirus cases rise in the U.S., Canada doesn’t want us anymore.

[seattletimes.com]

LiterateHiker 9 July 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yup. I am not sorry to say that I support and signed petition to extend the border closing between our nations. Until your nation gets a new leader and y'all get your shit together and lower your numbers, you are too high risk to our health as a society. Not worth it.

I understand completely. I live in New York State, and any of these infested yokels from "red" states have to quarantine for 14 days if they come here. Of course they don't all comply, but there's a $2000 fine for failure to comply.

Best LOL of the article?

"You know you’re becoming a pariah country when the Canadians go all “pardon the expression” on you."

I'm just a one-hour drive away from the Canada/U.S. border. Not only that border is closed, they also shut down some provincial boundaries. They formed a bubble with the four Atlantic coast provinces (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland and Labrador) and the people from the other provinces are not allowed to go there. At the worst of the pandemic this spring, they even cut off some regions in Quebec.

They are just reacting to people being really stupid. First, we elected an idiot, second, we allowed him to kill over one hundred fifty thousand people by being that idiot. They do not want to succumb to the stupidity in case it is contagious. I for one, do not blame them.

Thank you for this. I am a big fan of Westneat (and have told him so). We visited Canada so often we obtained what is known as a Nexus card (expedited entry). Last I heard the cards have been stopped.Pretty bad when even the Canadians don't want us. Of course we all know who is responsible.

As a Canuck,,Yes we want to keep the border closed,not that we do not want our American friends here,it also means we cannot go to your country ,which upsets a lot of people also ,But without ones health you have nothing ,We all want to get this virus under control and vacinnes to allow us to get back to our daily lives ,We have always said Americans should step outside there country and listen to news cast from other countries and look back into there own country, A lot of people may end up with an entirely different view of The United States..I recently retired and wanted to do a lot of travelling but all that is down the shitter now with this virus and probably will be for a couple of years ,so planning on see a lot more of my own country but even still some provinces want yu to quarnteen for two weeks when you arrive,so much for vacation ,One of Ontarios biggest problems right now is migrant workers they have a very high case load and we are trying to figure how to get that under control ,So all of you please do what ever you can in your country to bring this under control,I would love to cross the border and meet a few people on here

Some of us do and CBC2 is a favorite station of mine.

One thing I like about internet TV is being able to get news from everywhere in the world. *. I used to have to use a C band satellite. But it's always interesting to get different countries takes on what 'merica is trying to pull off

You can’t really blame Canadians for thinking and acting this way. If it were the other way round Trump would be talking about building another wall on the USA/Canadian border and using troops with sniffer dogs to keep Canadians out.

I doubt that.. He didn't do it with China.... But I don't blame Canadians either.

@Cutiebeauty I’m not with you...how exactly can he build a wall between the USA and China?

@Marionville not an actual wall.. But restricted travel from and to China when the virus first broke out.. Trump did nothing...

@Cutiebeauty That is not what I meant or said! He is rather keen on that other wall, and I meant an actual physical barrier. His hyperbole is hysterical...and it’s the sort of thing that although unlikely, nevertheless with Trump, cannot be entirely ruled out completely!

@Marionville

"If it were the other way round Trump would be talking about building another wall on the USA/Canadian border and using troops with sniffer dogs to keep Canadians out."

I know what said... . I'm saying trump wouldn't do anything about.. He'd ignore it.. That's his MO.. I'm just using China as an example...

@Cutiebeauty It was meant as a humorous remark! He’s not exactly noted for his consistency in any case...so past examples are not good indicators how he would react.

Well, I'm not feeling too good about other states in America right now.. NYC is doing great, so I'll stay here..

We deserve this. 😔

“Remember that election we had, in 2016, when the winner talked about closing our borders to the world? The world ended up closing its borders to us.”

Hillary won the popular vote, the minority wanted the Orange Turd.

@MizJ The Electoral College is another bullshit aspect of democracy that needs to be done away with. But since it’s part of our Constitution, I unfortunately don’t see that happening. 😒

I am sorry to say that it is an idea found in a lot of places outside Canada too.

No kidding thanks to trump

bobwjr Level 10 July 25, 2020

I do not blame them. I do not want most of us here. A little over exaggeration I hope.

can't say that I blame them

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:518501
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.