Agnostic.com

7 16

LINK Millennials Are Leaving Religion And Not Coming Back | FiveThirtyEight

A bunch of interesting stats on religious affiliation from a new poll of the millennial generation (age 22-38 ish). Numbers are all going in the right direction but I'm still amazed that they could find 37% of those who didn't have religious parents end up religious. The communities they live in and social and social media cliques they participate in must be quite effective at perpetuating the virus. After all I'm sure many kids go to schools where the majority of their peers are little Bible thumpers still. A couple more generations and maybe finally we'll get the majority position. Of course then after centuries of cultural dominance they will claim the minority victim position to continue to radicalise believers.

prometheus 7 July 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The ones I know are a mixed bag. Perhaps that is because I live in Oklahoma. I am encouraged by the fact that some I know are atheists though because in my generation I was definitely an anomaly.

It does indeed take a while but the Internet is the death of god. Meanwhile, the religious just keep making it up and trying to explain it without evidence.

Many people turn to religion not because they do believe but because they are lonely and the religious community welcomes them with open arms most of the time.

like all parasites religion preys on the weak and the helpless

@LenHazell53 It does.

I was just talking about a girl at work in her 30s who's so religious she doesn't even believe in abortion to save the mother's life. I don't think we're getting cured of this for thousands of years. If I had to bet, and there was a way we could find out, I'd put my money on a major catastrophic event that wipes out a significant portion of life on Earth before we're non-religious.

The important fact here is the word affiliation.

barjoe Level 9 July 25, 2020

You mean that people may claim to be religious or spiritual but are not affiliated with any mainstream religion or church. I think that's important - less likely to be brainwashed by some crackpot pastor. It also means less money pouring into the crooked churches and fake religious non-profits which gives them less money to spend in Washington and less attractive to target as a voting block. Hopefully...

@prometheus I mean the opposite. I think most people probably don't believe in God, but because of how the were raised and their family, they are nonbelievers affiliated with a church, synagogue etc. The fact that people are NOT affiliated really means they've chosen not to have religion in their lives. It's a big step.

Gen Z will be the ones to make true strides in ending religion

redhog Level 7 July 25, 2020

Late BB's and on into the millennial generations are the only reason I have any hope for anything. They rock.

Have you talked to any millennials recently?

I agree with @rainmanjr. The Millennials I know and interact with have their shit together and are making things happen. Love them.

PS - There’s been talk of breaking Millennials into two categories: those who move back home with their parents and remain dependent, and those who are professionals with their life together. Not sure if that will ultimately happen, but there is a great divide among that generation.

@Apunzelle Finding a divide is a useful tool for creating more seats of power. Distinctions are like sugar to those who will exploit them and create a title that didn't exist until the divide. A title they will likely hold. Society needs to get better at not buying into such artifices which create classes. People do what they need to do and have the means to do. The more well balanced our economic system the more people can retain independence IF THEY CHOOSE. For many it works to live in multi-generational homes. That's also cool. Whatever the condition creates in the person is what makes humans at all interesting.

@MissKathleen For fear of death they create Hell.

@barjoe Every now and then one graces me with a conversation. They think I'm a funny old man so are amused. I have no life so those moments seem precious.

@rainmanjr Before the pandemic, every now and then, I'd get a hipster girl to grace my bed. They like funny old men. The pandemic has created a dry spell that might last forever. They can keep their conversation.

@MissKathleen lots leave it too

@Apunzelle It's been that way for ever.

@Lorajay I get what you’re saying, though I’m not sure it’s true to the degree it is today.

@MissKathleen I'd be willing to bet that if the law allowed health insurance companies in the US would give a discount to the religious because they are more likely to reject medical intervention and would die sooner.

You could also argue that they would be less likely to take preventative measures and more likely to get critically sick with $$$ end of life care instead of dealing with preventable cheaper issues.

Either way I'd love to see some stats on such things vs. religious practices. Maybe I'll do some googling and see what I can dig up. I somehow doubt there has been any large statistically valid study on it but I'm guessing the data is out there since many hospitals seem to collect religious affiliation info.

@MissKathleen My guess is that it goes up to subsidize the others. These insurance companies have satellite companies that sell health policies in other markets and those might be priced less. You are subsidizing those markets.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:518711
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.