Agnostic.com

16 6

An answer to those of us questioning the recent picture of tRumpty Dumpty with all his ‘faithful’ followers.

[patheos.com]

My late partner had a large Thomas Kincade and it hung on our wall for a few years. Then we made a trip to a local tourist town, Paulsbo, and went into a Thomas Kincade showroom. We found out about his paintings and that picture was immediately removed from our wall and donated to Goodwill.

JackPedigo 9 Aug 1

Post a comment Reply Add Photo

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I worked in a gallery during the Kincaid boom. It was ridiculous how many of each was cranked out. You can't tout something as limited edition and a valuable investment when everyone else has it and the value tanks as a result.
I always wondered how the workers that added the finishing touches to the copies were treated.

Kincaid, the Beanie-baby of the art world

Sounds like the usual con by christian operation at play.

@JackPedigo very much so.

Jefferson owned slaves, so I'd avoid 2$ bills too. Oh, and ones. And twenties.

Someone missed the point but hey, yeah, we're overdue to replace those as well.

I never cared for Kinkade's work. It reminded me of scenes you'd see on the cover of cheap greeting cards. Apparently at some point in his life he "got religion," but that wasn't enough to save him from fatally overdosing on a combination of alcohol and Valium. Even his god couldn't save him from himself.

Reminds me of the stuff Bob Ross used to teach people on TV back in the 80's, just seen through a fuzzy lens. At least Bob Ross had a reputation for being a kind person.

Happy little trees

Sick fuck

M ex- in-laws loved Kinkaide’s art. It reminds me of someone’s version of a well-lit heavenly afterlife. Not my taste. Once he got super trendy, he apparently had a factory of people creating his “original” work.

UUNJ Level 8 Aug 1, 2020

I think I'm not getting the point. Are you saying McNaughton and Kincade are the same person? Why would a Kincade need to vanish if it were simply a Kincaid? I have several. 🤔

No but the report said McNaughton is following in Kincade's footsteps albeit on an elevated and political level.

@JackPedigo So why would you have given away a Kincaid? Did you just not like the one you had? That's what I'm missing. Why you'd donate a Kincaid?

@SeaGreenEyez lol I hope. Neither of us wanted such a thing in the house. It was my late partners and she said she bought this and some furniture after her divorce and her state of relief made her buy things she normally wouldn't have. Even though she was from a Moslem country Iran) she was an atheist from the moment she could reason.

@JackPedigo I must have read this all wrong. I for some reason thought you guys just hated Kincaid for some religious reason. Not that Kincaid is for everyone. I have two and they aren't hanging anywhere. Two decades ago when I was married to a professional hunting guide, I felt some sort of responsibility to decorate around the dead heads on the walls and Kincaid had some stuff that made it less godawful to stare at dead animals all the time. Flower arrangements didn't go well with dead heads without other camo-ing effects. Kincaid it was. 😛😛

Since we're talking art, sort of, do you or does she know anything about King Kuka, the Blackfoot Native American artist that came up with a special way to do lithographs? Kukagraphy, is his method. I ask because I want someone to help me find the name of one I found at Goodwill, completely by accident. I just thought it was adorable and in looking, it's something but it's name I can't find among all of his work that's online. ???????????

@SeaGreenEyez The painting was a large forest with a house scene and it was just a painting. She actually was a minimalist and hated things on the wall but she did buy this to sort of conform to the 'western way.' I do have paintings, prints or whatever on my wall but most have a connection (every picture there is a personal connection). The only pictures I ever bought were 1 large and 2 small prints of sailing ships (I love the old sailing ships). One, in the bedroom I took a stab at painting myself (abstract with acrylics) and a water color painted by my grandmother. There are several others each with a story and that was the only reason I could get these hung. Never heard of King Kula and she died 4 years ago. Do you have a shot of the picture?

@JackPedigo @JackPedigo Those are lovely. One of my Kincaid is Grand Canyon/Lower Yellowstone Falls. It's a nice painting. Not at all matching how I decorate today, but at the time, it was fitting. I had planned for my son to have it and then that didn't work out as planned. Regardless, I think he has some nice stuff, just not my style.

King Kuka came onto my radar because my biological father has been bestowed (or was, not sure today) the honor of photographing religious ceremonies in Eastern Idaho of tribes there. He does amazing black and whites, and one time we got to go to a re-enactment. The peyote ceremonies were really something. At any rate, I didn't know until I found this completely by accident, that he had become famous and his kukagraphy style was his and his alone (other artists do lithographs, but this is different and not re-prints.) I can't find this one anywhere. But here is what is contained in the original shrink wrapped piece I bought for 99 cents. 😮 (They need rotated, not sure why they uploaded this way.)

edited

@SeaGreenEyez Interesting, the picture looks three dimensional. This area has a huge native history. Reservations are everywhere and they even settled these islands. Two tribes, the Samish and Salish (who the inland sea is named for) and the area included British Columbia. These were coast natives different from, I'm assuming the plains natives in Montana. The local tribal art is also very distinctive and everywhere. Wish I had some of their art to post.

@JackPedigo Yes. And we're from Idaho, which has a slew of Reservation areas still, thankfully. My father has lived on "the Res" as he calls it, for over 40 years, maybe 50.

That piece is three dimensional, which is the "kukagraphy" technique. He used it for all sorts of art, not just small pieces like that. Some are just insanely involved. Like indian warriors on horseback and such. I need to find a name for that. I don't want to disrupt it's packaging and stuff until I know it would't be important to someone of his tribe. It appears to be a limited find.

@SeaGreenEyez I friend lives on a reservation along with a lot of other none-natives. Unfortunately, one can tell the non-native from the native homes. She is a big volunteer for the various native services in her area.

I don't know I rather like some of his paintings. I don't give a hoot about him being religious but find some of his painting colorful and happy. It's the same as if I was to be sick and needed a specific medicine but the person who "invented" that medicine was a religious nutter, now I certainly would not take that medicine on account of his/hers convictions.

Sommetimes people have to make a decision one way or another. I personally will not support a religious system in any way.

Yeah, the ‘painter of light’. My mother loved him; had everything from nightlights to afghans. Ick.
And Xtians say that WE ‘push our beliefs’ onto them.

That's so typical of Xstians, feeling persecuted by nonbelievers pressuring them with their nonbelief. 😀

There are some funny parodies.

[shawnmcnulty.com]

The TK website explains it: [thomaskinkade.com]

The art piece this is about....oooffff.

It's gross, really. Truly the individual has talent, is hard to paint like that, despite some imperfections. But the content is so stomach churning. Like, he could have chosen to paint ANYTHING, and THIS is what he picked... vomit.

You didn't say why? The "painter of light" was a very boring painter. Everything shone--- even grey, soft, dusty coal. I think I was in one of his showrooms 30 years ago.

blech.....

Would you be able to share with us what you found out?

Kincade used his work to promote Christianity. In a Wikipedia link I shared it said he gave each of his 4 kids the middle name of christian. There are other links here from other members.

@JackPedigo Thank you, I did find this out earlier, but had not realized how extreme, the Christian influence, was in those paintings. I didn't particularly like his stuff.

What did you find out about Kinkade that made you remove his work from your home?
I've been looking online, and haven't found anything.
What am I missing??

I would bet that the museum strongly promotes Evangelical Christianity.

Kinkade is to good art what Muzak is to good music.

@creative51 I don't pretend to be any kind of connoisseur. I know who some artists are, and I know what I like when I see it. Beyond that, I don't make any judgments about good vs. bad.
I think it's all pretty subjective.
That said, the Kinkade stuff isn't a particular favorite. I wouldn't put it on my walls.

Thomas Kincade used his art to promote Christianity. All the money in the studio we went to went to the 'mission.' [en.wikipedia.org]

@JackPedigo Ugh

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:520611
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.