Agnostic.com

20 1

What makes a person a dog lover or cat lover or both?

• 13 votes
  • 10 votes
  • 24 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 2 votes
Marine 8 Apr 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I like both but am an individualist. I don't like a psycho cat or dog.
Spent most of my life with a cat but later in life husband highly allergic and daughter too. So as a result of that and having spent most of my best dog owning years dogless, it's dogs for me from now on, making up for lost time.

Since there are those that have had horrible experiences with dogs thought I'd share this book. It's a thin, quick read but invaluable and I feel it should be taught to every child old enough to understand. It would prevent sooo many tragic bites. Granted some breeds are easier to "read" than others- which is why I love mine, they're cellophane 🙂
Somebody out there could probably do ok going around to schools presenting the key points of the book.

Turid Rugass: "On Talking Terms With Dogs, Calming Signals"

Q: "What makes a person a dog lover or cat lover or both?"
A: Dogs and cats!

I like both but cats are just so much more low maintenance than dogs that they fit in with my lifestyle better. You don't have to walk a cat several times a day and you can leave them at home for a weekend.

Deb57 Level 8 Apr 8, 2018

Cats have been a great help for me to have some companionship since my wife died. I need something to keep me warm at night and to look after.

Why are you asking this question? It's really a silly question - I expected more from this group. This boils down to a "who cares"? If someone likes one over the other or embraces both does it require some level of introspection to figure out why? I like Iguanas do I need to ask myself why?

I like animals in general, but have always had a special place in my heart for cats. I like dogs when they are well trained, but generally find them quite needy.

I like both but allergic to cats.

ebdb Level 7 Apr 8, 2018

I can tolerate dogs if they are someone else's and not in my house. I can't stand the neediness, holy gods it drives me crazy. Always having to be touching you, or if you tell them to go lay down they stare at you with the most pathetic face, stop looking at me! ? some dogs are ok, I just like to talk shit. I've been a cat person forever. They generally leave me alone but will snuggle sometimes and I can leave them without worrying they will destroy the house. Plus, you can't beat a cat's purr ❤

Remi Level 7 Apr 8, 2018

I enjoy other people’s cats but don’t want one in my house.

The daily contact with people makes you a dog/cat lover.

I believe I mentioned this in another post. I hate dogs. Absolutely hate each and every one of them. Twice while a child I was attacked by dogs. And once again while an adult. Aside from the fact that some dogs are vicious animals. I also think dogs smell terrible, are obsequious, and needy.

I wouldn't deliberately harm a dog, but, on the other hand, I would not raise a finger to help one in need.

Archetypal dog story is of a creature so loyal that when their master dies the dog sits at the graveside and pines away too. If you're a cat owner and you die the cat will eat your face.

Animals of all most any kind are great friends to have, well worth the effort.

jeffy Level 7 Apr 7, 2018

nice to see you back

Dog(s) owner in my younger years and morphed into being cat(s) servant in my later years. Cats are easier to work with, especially in winter, more self-relaint when you want to go away for the weekend or the weather is too crappy to take a dog for a walk. Dogs, OTOH, reduce food waste better and don't have litter boxes (praise the FSM!)

I was attacked by a dog when I was little. I've never been attacked by a cat. Also, cats are quieter and less needy than dogs, which fits me better.

In the end, though, neither is 'superior' to the other. It's just a question of which one fits you better.

I had roomates who adopted a stray cat. It attacked me daily. (I lived on the couch) It would leave little punctures from it's razor sharp claws that it used while I slept. I awoke to the attack many times.

I don't care for cats.

Also learnt that I am allergic to them.

I think cats are esthetically preferable, but they make me sick (aaaaaChooo). I also think they are sociopathic. Dogs, on the other hand, offer unconditional love. They may not be as intelligent as cats, but they are way superior in every other way.

why ask why? it just is. I like them both and more

Pets comes with an owner and sometimes someone desires that owner. Hell... I may get me a dog one day. Coming to think about it In my 64 years I never owned a pet, I grew up with dogs and cats but they were the family pet, not "my own only pet". Strange to admit that and currently babysitting for a week 3 chihuahuas. Strange to admit that despite all the good and several interactions with pets in my life never had my own... strange.

Maybe not so strange. Some people have pet/s to fill a void in their lives, have an affinity with animals and some for companionship, other's because they have had pet/s all their lives and feel strange without them.
An active and busy lifestyle may not be conducent to owning a pet especially if you have access to the pet/s others own. So maybe not so strange after all. 🙂

@Betty Thank You, often enough I took advantage of having an active life as a good excuse for not owning one and there is that convenient advantage of the surrogate pets around me.

Empathy and exposure. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Apr 7, 2018

I like most animals and they all have a place. I like the closeness of dogs and the opposite of fish.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:52132
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.