Agnostic.com

49 12

What wrong assumptions do people frequently make of you?

People often think I'm stuck up because I'm quiet.

Mea 7 Apr 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

49 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just because I am 6 ft. 2 in. tall and 265 pounds, people assume I can pick up any heavy object no matter of weight. Maybe in my younger days!!

People assume that if I'm not smiling I'm in a bad mood.

I worship Mr Scratch being that I'm a non-believer.

Hey lady! What's really?

To a large degree. There are no alternative facts. Those are just buzz words attempting to justify racism or sexism or nationalism---- !

That I am a mean person because I don't smile all the time. I have an awesome resting bitch face!

That I like fishing and hunting

Ange Level 5 Apr 7, 2018

I had seen this on Barney Miller years ago When one assumes they make an ass u me.

That I have no street intelligence. That when it comes to the real world, real people, real life, that I am dumb af.

That I really give a S#!7. For some reason, people assume I care. I really don't.

Can we really know?

Sometimes people tell you after they get to know you. That's how I know.

@Mea hahahahhaha I guess that’d work

Recently, I found out what some others thought. In a conference with two bosses, one said (not in context of the conversation) that it seemed I am a loner. For background: I am working in retail - having given up my own business and hoping to retire soon - surrounded by people who aren't tremendously deep thinkers. I apologize; perhaps they are, but the conversations we share and they share with others dwell pretty much on the surface. I related to my bosses that I perceive that people seem to be mostly interested in themselves (about which, one of them concurred), and then I gave four examples of lengthy conversations I've had with co-workers about themselves, that never resulted in them asking back anything about me. One boss said that in order to have relationships with others, you have to "put yourself out there." I disagreed. I'm only going to offer my deepest self to those who are interested. The close friends I have are rare and treasured. Why expend energy where it goes into the void?

So, I'll say that the assumptions people frequently make of me being aloof and private are true, but for the wrong reasons.

Perhaps in the "spirit of cooperation," a retail environment functions better when people get along. I get along, but choose not to socialize, and I think people may not discern the difference.

I have been profiled by the police many times because I have long hair and a goatee.

That I'm stupid or ignorant because I'm big and very strong.
That I'm a physical threat because the same.
That I'm nasty because I focus at work and my work demands heavy manual effort and constant vigilence for other people's safety.

Ahhhh good one !!!.... People never like me, only until they (if) get to know me. Their assumption is that I am angry about something, which is completely out there !!!

Really don't know, and quite frankly, honestly do not care.
I can't be bothered with whatever false assumptions people make about me.
I used to care about what other people thought. It drove me crazy. I was always
trying to please everyone, because I wanted people to like me, and was always
seeking the approval of others.
It's a no-win situation. It's far healthier not to care what anyone else thinks.

That I'm weak because I'm emotional.

I'm not sure what people think of me. I constantly think about, basically torturing myself with it, but I assume that people don't like me.

That I'm a hypochondriac because I am literally always unwell lol

This is a funny one...at least for me.

I was eating lunch at a restaurant near the school where I last taught. I was chatting on the phone with a friend when a restaurant patron approached me and said "You all Spics factory workers go back home."
I ignored him and I went back to the school to prepare things for Parents / Teachers Night. Guess who came in...with his daughter? Yes the guy who called me Spic.
IAW, many people assume I am an ignorant, person because I speak with an accent.

The guy...after the conference....said to me "I will never judge another person. " I reminded silent.

This is a funny one...at least for me.

I was eating lunch at a restaurant near the school where I last taught. I was chatting on the phone with a friend when a restaurant patron approached me and said "You all Spics factory workers go back home."
I ignored him and I went back to the school to prepare things for Parents / Teachers Night. Guess who came in...with his daughter? Yes the guy who called me Spic.
IAW, many people assume I am an ignorant, person because I speak with an accent.

The guy...after the conference....said to me "I will never judge another person. " I reminded silent.

They think I used to play basketball. I hate basketball.

The good old boys around here usually think I share their political views. It can get dicey when they find out I don't.

People think I'm mean and unapproachable because of the way I look.

I have the opposite problem. I have to open my mouth. Most people assume I believe the things I say, but I will take a stance I don't agree with for the sake of a thought experiment.
I don't bulletproof my wording, and people take things I say and warp them into something I didn't say, almost like it's on purpose ?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:52218
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.