Agnostic.com

29 14

Generation Z - what do you think of them?

"Generation Z or Gen Z (also known as iGeneration or iGen and Post-Millennials)[1] is the demographic cohort after Millennials. Currently, there are numerous additional competing names used in connection with them in the media. There are no precise dates for when this cohort starts or ends, but demographers and researchers typically use the late 1990s to mid-2000s as starting birth years. At the present time, there is little consensus regarding ending birth years."

They're often maligned in the media as selfish snowflakes; however, I have to say I'm very impressed by the young people of today - they stand up for the oppressed, they insist on being themselves and aren't afraid to show emotion, they're extremely self-aware and they're highly effective at communicating. All in all, I think they're going to change the world for the better, which is something my generation and my parents' generation failed to do.

What do you think? Are you hopeful for the world once they take it over?

Jnei 8 Apr 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have a lot of faith in the coming generations. I think they will change the world for the better.

I'm starting to think it might not be such a bad idea if we just handed over the reins now and let them get on with running the show.

@Jnei So far it seems like they're capable.

My opinion might be a bit biased (depending on who you ask I'm either at the very beginning of Gen Z or the very end of the millenials)--but I think most of the people my age are working very hard towards making the world a better place.

Mea Level 7 Apr 7, 2018

Thank you for all the great things you're going to do for the world! 🙂

My daughter fits in that category, and she is socially aware and active, and very much doing her part to change things. I'm very proud of her. All of her friends aren't like this, but enough of them are that I feel pretty good about turning things over to them. Of course they have flaws, but who didn't when they were that young?

I am thrilled with them. I hope they stay focused and engaged in the political and environmental issues.

They give me hope. I am a mother to two of them, and I know a lot of these young people as a result. Of those that I know, they are driven, they are compassionate, and they stand up for what they think is fair. I really think they are what this world needs right now.

When I look at the world as it is right now, I feel despair. When I talk to anyone aged under 25, I feel hope. They're going to be alright, and they'll make sure the rest of us are alright too.

The generation marching for their own safety in schools? Yeah, I see a bright future ahead.

Marz Level 7 Apr 7, 2018

The future's so bright (I gotta wear shades):

I think you are right. The millenials and the Z generation seem to have a healthy distrust of the government and big business, not hate, but a mistrust. I am hopeful they will take a leap forward on social issues. We boomers did so in the late 60's and into the 70's, but when we got older we dropped the ball. We can only hope they don't.

i don't think drop the ball as much as had to earn a living.

@squiggy_70 You can make a living without losing your ideals. I have done it. I have friends that have done it. My generation has been in charge for awhile. Look around. We dropped the ball.

Snorting condoms is a great start though. Geez.

Snorting condoms?! Do I want to look this up in the Urban Dictionary?

@ailurophile It's the new challenge with teens/college students.

@Sarahroo29 Oh dear. I have the brain bleach ready... here I go to look it up.

Heh. Snopes to the rescue. 🙂 [snopes.com]

@ailurophile Lol.

@ailurophile Recycled news?!

@Sarahroo29 Ha! It isn't? I bow to your expertise, as I think you're part of the Z or Millennial demographic?

@ailurophile I'm 30, not Gen Z.

No different to any other generation, it is their environment that is different, so they have to do things differently, are required to meet their needs differently.
We made them and we made their environment.

Difficult to answer. The majority of ones I know personally seem to be goal directed and have a desire to make things better. When I see their expression in social media I consider more of them appearing superficial, creating a "brand" of themselves or self entitled more so. My stepdaughters are in their 20's who barely can manage their own lives let alone make things better. My son, their half brother is 14. He seems more intelligent/wise, less likely to continue same bullshit from history and self directed through informing himself. That said, he is my son so bias could be some issue. I don't fully understand the connotation of "snowflake". My daughter is 32 and caring to a fault. She would put herself in harms way to help anyone. To me that's naive which I believe is the connotation of "snowflake".
Definitely, GenZ seems on the right track to social improvement but commitment to sacrificing convenience for environmental conservation not sure.

This whole Gen whudevah thing is silly. You can't characterize someone by what year they were born. What's next? Astrology? Phrenology?
Bah. I will judge you as an individual and by your deeds should my judgement be of any merit.
Every generation has it's share of luminaries and dolts. Most of us fall somewhere in between.
Where did this all stem from anyways? Someone (prolly a Boomer) called the Boomers the greatest generation evar and we're supposed to agree? Humph.
It's like nationalism but chronologically based.

I agree 100%. What’s funny is old people 200 years ago were saying “these young people today I tell ya!”

I agree totally, @Hicks66. Each generation also has it's members criticizing the people older and younger than themselves. Oh, and their peers as well.

Why don't you like Sociology? It is a keystone for gleaning predictive information that feeds into economics, political science, psychology, and actuarial science just to name a few.

By the way I want my 100,000 internet points for identifying your Ren & Stimpy avatar. That was my middle son's favorite cartoon! Lol

@kensmile4u perhaps I should clarify. By "tag" I was referring to name rather than avatar. But seeing as I am literally dripping with internet points, you can have these and I shall repost the bounty. Concerning sociology, Mark Twain and I are of one mind: lies, damn lies and statistics.

@Hicks66 Thanks for the virtual points. They are worth just slightly less than what i get paid from Spotify if someone streams one of my songs. But they are worth slightly more than an utterance out of Trump's mouth. Lol. I will agree to disagree about the importance of statistics. One of my careers was as an Aerospace Engineering Manager. Precision and statistics go hand in hand.

No, Boomers didn't call Boomers "The Greatest Generation". Someone (don't know who) labeled the generation before us "The Greatest Generation".

@ailurophile Tom Brokaw

Generation labeling is BS in my opinion. It’s another way to keep people divided.

I lose track of the labels but find most young people especially bright and engaged!

I have 3 of them. All grown and OUT OF THE NEST. All educated & working & paired up & have NO KIDS, & have never been in jail. They're have common sense and are thoughful, beautiful, productive, evolving human beings. I love them. THEY'RE AWESOME❣Of course they can take over the world. In a good way.?

Emme Level 7 Apr 7, 2018

Absolutely..and I agree with everything you've said..

My first grandchildren fall in that range. They are growing into young adults that both surprise me and make me proud. They also still make me roll my eyes occasionally, LOL, but they're further ahead than I was!

Well spoken.

Etre Level 7 Apr 7, 2018

I am very hopeful for all that I have seen of generation Z

I could not agree with you more. I have a son born in 2001 so he is a Gen Z. I am impressed with him, his friends, and all of his classmates. I also have two millenial sons who are married. My millenial sons are impressive but I can't say the same for one of their wives, some of their friends, and many of their classmates.

They give me so much hope and motivate me to keep pushing for a better world.

Don't Think So,I Think The Baby Boom Generation Done Much More.

Coldo Level 8 Apr 8, 2018

Too soon to say. Let's see if they get bored.

Why not? Every generation has the potential to improve on the last.
I was born at the tail end of the Baby Boomer generation. Even though I was still basically
a little kid, I watched as my older peers changed a lot. Then, the 80s came along, and a lot
of them turned into Yuppies and Reagan republicans, and screwed over the entire nation.
That's how we got into the fix we're in now.
The kids coming up now really can't do any worse.

I would agree

I have high hopes.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:52379
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.