Agnostic.com

11 3

Does it make any sense to hide your face on a Social Website?

grbosworth 4 Aug 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I did not give this any thought at all. I wanted to have authentic discussions with people about all kinds of things. I am not looking for a significant other as I am already Married to the love of my life. She is sick and has problems getting out so I have stopped going out for social events and stay home figuring it is more important to spend the time we have together, is that not why we got together. I have shared some very personal information on this site and do not think it would be used against me by someone outside the group. Perhaps I am naive, but that was the manner in which I approached this site. I figured one gets back what one puts into.

Yes! If one shops for a partner , one's face should not matter unless that is the narrow focus of one's shopping criteria. If one is shopping for a partner, perhaps ones character, interests, political views might carry more pertinence than one's face. This seems to be somewhat immature or a superficial manner of choosing someone to interact with. There is NO picture of me on the web that I am aware of. My appearance seems to attract flies. =0}

Facial recognition, photo theft, safety reasons, ETC. I read @ponderingatheist profile months back that stated (since changed) how they had Mr. Yuck as their profile pic because they wanted others to visit/interact with their profile based on their character. That is why I changed mine to the FFRF Freethought Badge.

I'm happy to change it back as I love Mr. Yuk. I was just trying to obey copyright laws.

@ponderingatheist Years ago (2009?) I tried to order the stickers but the program is no longer around. They sent me all their leftovers.

@soulless they're on Amazon

Uuuummm, maybe if you are a Nigerian Prince...wouldn't want to precipitate a coup......

Yes, in the age of facial recognition soft-wear it could actually be quite dangerous. You would only need your image to be somewhere else on the web, with your name and or location, and you could be traced quite easily by a hacker, stalker or worse.

My buddy actually considers that to be a method of suicide: drawing the prophet Muhammad or doing something to the Quran etc and posting the video online.

Socializing is about more than looks. Sometimes, what you say is more important than what beauty you inherited.

As someone who dealt with a very dedicated STALKER for several years...I'm pretty careful on social media. Names, faces....too easy to find.

Strictly a social website, you mean? Because it's hard to keep it from places like work or volunteer websites, or LinkedIn and such. But I'm definitely cautious and use whatever security measures are available.

I'm too funny looking to worry about it.

Very much so. Especially if you are sharing personal things and it is available to more than just a specific friend group. I was veru uncomfortable putting my face on here and have considered taking it back down.

MsAl Level 8 Aug 12, 2020

Once you've placed your likeness on the web, anyone can commandeer it and use it for any purpose. Very risky, particularly for women.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:524103
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.