Agnostic.com

15 13

Why is modern religion so intoxicating for some people—the most fervent? Whenever people danced or convulsed near me, it was always confusing and unsettling. Whenever I was asked to join in or “do I feel the spirit”, I’m like, “sure, give me a hit of that”. Alas, it was not to be. Promises of getting high in a church always leave you feeling shortchanged.

AgeofReason 5 Aug 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What happens after a person dies? They can be somewhat preserved, placed into a coffin and buried, they can be cremated, or have any other number of things done to what is present. I have no idea what happens, but here is my take: the energy that propelled my functioning does into the energy of the Universe, or what ever place you want to place it in your belief system. The matter goes back into the earth, even if it has to wait for the decomposition of the coffin to take place. So basically the way I think of it is that we go back to where we were before we were born. We know nothing of that place, even if it is there or a correct manner of though. For those of you who are religious and need a place to go then Nature is where you end up. If there is nothing after you die then you basically end up in the same place. I do not understand why we have to give our hard earned money to people who think that have a better take on this than stated. Anyone really need to send money to anyone I can give you my address if you ask.

I was never able to get the Holy Goat. 🙂

Cult behaviour needs more study.

Mvtt Level 7 Aug 17, 2020

You ask,"Why is modern religion ..." because "modern" - "religion " is saturated with illogical atheist like Jim Jones and others that don't even use the original definition of religion written almost 2000 years ago, but has changed it for purposes of sarcasm worship to the non-existent flying spaghetti monster sky God. Old religion 2000 years ago written was about helping widows and orphans while avoiding worldly corruption - James 1:27 Religion ... pure and faultless is this: to help widows and orphans in need and avoiding worldly corruption.

Word Level 8 Aug 16, 2020

What you describe is a Tiny subculture of Evangelical weirdos, not "modern religion".

It's nice to be a "part of something".

Like everything, religion has evolved to get more and more addictive. The more virulent varieties pushed the weaker (more rational/tolerant/humanistic) versions out. At least where there was a sizable number of sufficiently impressionable victims available. Natural selection really does work.

Most of us talk ourselves into extreme emotional states.
Religion just provides an excuse for otherwise forbidden social behavior of the type you're referring to.
I was raised in an Assembly of God church, I never saw anything there more convincing than any other voodoo trance ritual.
They attend Sunday services to take their emotional bowel movement in public.

Good question many have asked it few have answers

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 16, 2020

There sure is a spirit to feel. But it's a human spirit of community, shared hope etc.

It's a simple product of natural selection. If the churches of today are intoxicating because the churches of yesterday that weren't had less people attend. Of course the fervent is a strain that has succeeded only in certain niches. In other areas churches are far more subdued. There's strength in diversity.

Modern religion is so intoxicating for some people because the rich and powerful of said religions have figured out how to manipulate the Idiot Brigade into handing over their hard-earned dollars.

Religion offers an escape from the harsh truths of reality.
It provides imaginary heroes and enemies and the guarantee of better things to come, justice against those who have wronged you and ultimately a win win situation: if you are right you get heaven, if you are wrong you get oblivion and you will never know that you wasted you life.
In the meanwhile you have a life time feeling you are special and favoured, surrounded by people who are all ready to assure you that you are NOT a deranged lunatic

For the same reason ancient religions were intoxicating. The opiate of the masses.

they are not known as the sharpest tools in the shed

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:525021
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.