Agnostic.com

10 13

LINK Cloth masks do protect the wearer – breathing in less coronavirus means you get less sick

I just finished six more masks today, 4 for son in law and daughter, and 2 for me. I start a new job tomorrow.

HippieChick58 9 Aug 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Simple isn't it

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 20, 2020

I hope you need job is turning out to be everything you hoped for.

A new job is one of those stressful situations that actually can be a fun stress. I always enjoyed starting a new job situation. Hoping all goes well and you enjoy the first day.
I only have 3 cloth masks, I hand wash them, I let them soak for quiet a while, spray with alcohol and hang to dry. Since I am retired and only go into the store to get groceries my close contact with other humans is limited.

If you have an iron, steam those masks. The steam will destroy anything that remains behind. I keep the masks in the car, put them on when I leave the car. When I come home I take the mask off at the laundry room. After washing they get ironed and then back to the car.

@HippieChick58 I have an iron but my masks have a metal nose piece so it's just a bother. I am sure the soak in soapy h water is effective for my needs. If I was working indoors and changing out my mask many times during the day I'd want that extra layer of germ destruction.

Far out on the new job, I hope it works for you in all the ways it should.

That may be why I didn't get "that" sick, I was almost religious in wearing a mask and gloves everytime I went out. gloves would go on before I went into the store and come off and in the trash when I left.

The masks are more about breathing out. They are meant to catch your drops in the cloth mesh so you do not contaminate someone else. Although it doesn't hurt to have a layer between you and the other person. Lol

I want to believe that every protective effort we make cumulatively results in less risk of some sort. I figure, if it doesn't hurt, it might help.

Many kudos to you maskmakers! Many would have gone without masks but for you all. Your article talks about trying to wash and dry your cloth masks with each use so there is one more thing we can do.

In my county the virus is spreading mostly among young people which makes me very sad. I remain hopeful that with each of us doing what we can, one day soon we will get a hold on this.

Best wishes on your new adventure!

I throw mine in the washer when I come home, and after drying I press it out. There are no viruses remaining after my steam iron hits it.

It seemed logical to me from the start, so I've been pretty (you should excuse the expression) religious about wearing mine. Good to know I have science behind me.

Good luck tomorrow! I hope it's a fantastic start to a wonderful new opportunity.

Thank you, and I think religious is an apt term in this case. I wear mine religiously every time I am out amongst people, and I will tell store employees to pull it up over their nose while they are assisting me. That is one religion that I think is good to have.

Literatehiker had the best response to a nose breather "Not covering your nose is like wearing a condom with the tip cut off - it protects no one".

Good for you.

good luck at the new job.

Thanks!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:526112
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.