Agnostic.com

14 13

I'm working on trying to adopt another dog but, Christ Almighty, am I having a tough time of it. I found a dachshund that I'd like to meet but the people I have to make contact with are impossible to get ahold of. I've called several times but no one ever answers so I've left messages that no one ever replies to, and this is after I've already submitted the required paperwork to apply for the adoption.

I'll try calling again today but don't expect to talk to anyone so I'll leave another message that will likely be ignored. According to the site the dog is still available for the time being. These people are making it very hard to do something that shouldn't be this difficult.

I'm frustrated so I'm venting. Anyway here's a pic. The dog has to be small because the backyard fence is only 3' high.

Sgt_Spanky 8 Aug 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

With the covid epidemic most shelters are operating on limited hours. I've been looking for a small house trained dog and cannot find one anyplace. A lot of people have taken them in because they are off work and have plenty of time for them.
Large dogs are plentiful.

Any 'new' news on Jazzy? Did the other person/people adopt her?

She's still listed. I'll update again when I know something new.

Good luck but to be honest this is good news. To me it means that the US (like here in UK) has done a great job at managing strays. In UK it is neigh on impossible to adopt a dog...or even a cat to be honest.

I didn't know that. Why's it so difficult?

Get used to it. In the future I might suggest you try not to fall in love until the dog is in your custody. I found myself setting myself up for disappointment. Good luck in the future.

I inquired about her based on multiple criteria, cuteness being the least of it. All dogs are beautiful. I still need to meet her and gauge her personality before I'd offer to adopt her. If she gets adopted before than,, fine, there's plenty more dogs who need a home.

Okay, I got a reply from my email but It's garbled. Here it is: -- She has a meet and greet tomorrow at 9 am. We will reach out I’d nit already adopted.

Thanks

Peace, Love, & Rescue!
VIP Rescue of Central Florida, Inc.
www.viprescuecfl.org

I think she's saying potential adopters are meeting her tomorrow morning at 9:00a and they'll contact me to schedule a meet if she's not adopted at that time.

Yes that is how I would interpret it...she is so cute, if she doesn't get scooped up you might want to ask why??!

@AnneWimsey I'd just accept it and move on to find another suitable pooch in need of a home.

@K9Kohle789 No, I'm not looking for a doxie specifically nor any other breed specifically, I'm looking for the right dog. I also walked shelter dogs until covid caused all the shelters to suspend their volunteer programs. I would also fall in love with the dogs I walked but I wasn't ready to get one yet and they were all too big. My backyard fence is only 3" high and a med-lrg dog could get over that.

@Sgt_Spanky I wish you the best! I too was a "forlorn wait-er" for weeks this Spring, it was awful!

@K9Kohle789 It's easy to fall in love with them but one has to be pragmatic. When you consider the cost of having just one dog then multiply that by multiple dogs, it just becomes impossible to adopt all the dogs you can fall in love with.

@K9Kohle789 I can understand both positions.

Good luck. I hope it i simply a matter of unpaid workers short on time.

Cute puppy, I wish you success!

Maybe they're waiting for someone persistent enough to keep trying. I've only had one dog in my life, a black/brown dachshund, born on my 6th birthday, Friday the 13th, so we called him Jinx. Loved that dog. He died about 50 years ago. Keep trying!

I went through the same thing.......once I did make contact things moved right along.....good luck!
Remember these people are generally all unpaid volunteers, some have 10-20-30 critters to care for on a daily basis

It sounds fishy to me. May it be a scam? Are you suppose to part with money?

All standard adoptions involve some money to help cover the costs of spay/neuter and food and vet care etc... but they're far from exorbitant. Usually a few hundred dollars. Also if someone wanted to rip me off, they'd have gotten in touch with me immediately. They wouldn't be making me jump through hoops just to meet the dog. It's not a ripoff, it's just poorly run.

Unpaid volunteers, this sounds Completely normal, that was what I went thru in June.....

He is adorable. I hope you get him and you get him soon.

He's a she and we'll see. I sent them an e-mail today so hopefully they'll reply to that.

@Sgt_Spanky I ended up communicating thru 99% emails, I think maybe one phone call........there was a time zone thing too.....

Sounds like they don't want to adopt the dog out or the the dog has already been adopted and they lack the integrity to let you know.

I don't know what the issue is but they had another dog under the heading of "Adoption Pending" and they just updated their site this morning and that dog is gone so the adoption went through which suggests they're keeping it updated. Jazzy is still listed as available.

@Sgt_Spanky. Well then, it's a mystery.

I went through the same thing.......once I did make contact things moved right along.....good luck!
Remember these people are generally all unpaid volunteers, some have 10-20-30 critters to care for on a daily basis

What a cutie. I hope it all works out for you, and soon.

Jazzy is adorable! Keep trying... squeaky wheel and all. Good luck to you.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:526296
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.