Agnostic.com

15 9

Why I quit the Census after working in 2010 and 2000.

The U.S. Census hired over 500,000 enumerators for non-response follow-up in 2020. I was hired again. After missing two months due to pandemic shutdowns, Census work ends on September 30, not in December as originally planned.

Yesterday Census administrators reported high attrition.

In the past, I loved working as a Census enumerator. People were wonderful. A cheerful smile works wonders with resistant people.

Technology failure

Sadly, last week I resigned after two weeks. Thousands of enumerators quit due to the struggle of standing outdoors sweating in the heat wearing a mask, in hot sun and rain. Staring at a Census iphone, loudly reading aloud convoluted questions. Laboriously typing in answers correctly, screen after screen. Can't see the (!#/!) phone in sunshine.

"In Los Angeles, Census people don't realize that rural areas in America don't have good internet service," a regional Census supervisor said. "In northeast Washington State, we still use landlines."

"My best friend had a Census enumerator stop by in Tacoma last week," my daughter Claire said. "She felt so sorry for the woman who kept struggling with her phone and getting frustrated."

Overloaded with slow, complicated apps, the Census-supplied iphones often freeze up. I had to turn the phone off and wait 10 minutes for it to re-load. No guarantee it will work.

Bottom line- It is rude to stare at a phone while talking to people. Since I have asthma, my doctor said I should not work for the Census this year.

Fear of being deported by Trump

Over 54% of people did not complete the census in my area. Many residents are afraid of being deported by Trump. Sadly, our smiles are hidden behind mandatory masks.

Poor planning

This year, census training was the worst I ever saw. All of the trainers read aloud and refused to answer questions.

There are no paper backups. Such a shame because we won't get an accurate count of people who need services the most.

The 2020 Census will determine congressional representation and provide data that will impact communities for the next decade. Over $1.5 trillion will be apportioned for schools, hospitals, roads, public works, rescue services and other vital programs.

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The new administration should call a re-do when we're all mostly healthy again...

I've been watching the Republican Infomercial Mini Series.
It's like the best evidence that Trumpism is a manipulative cult that believes shit that isn't real, and doesn't believe anything that is real. The unholy union of two political parties, evangelicals and republicans. The evangelicals pretend to be a religion but have no problem reinforcing misinformation from their pulpits, I've been there I've heard it.

I keep going back to I hate that s.o.b tRump 😟

That bastard and his minions are destroying our country🤬

@WayneDalton

Exactly. Vote Democrat!

They might as well wait until the cheeto is out of office to do this again. There is so much false information and people not doing it that any numbers they get will be incorrect by a large factor.

@dalefvictor

What false numbers? Are you a Census accountant?

@LiterateHiker What I am referring to is the fact that not everyone who can participate in the census is doing so along with all the pressure the cheeto has put on people not to participate. The people who are doing the census are great and doing their job.

@dalefvictor

You're right. Traditionally white middle class people complete the census online and on paper. Minorities are undercounted due to racism, poverty, language barriers, no computer or internet service, no stamps, no house address, etc.

Native Americans are historically undercounted. Living on tribal land, they often have no street address; they use post office boxes. The Census requires a street address.

[huffpost.com]

Rough job. I wouldn’t want that.

Trump doesn't want a honest Census

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 25, 2020

@bobwjr

Exactly.

Having the census run smoothly with agent orange at the helm was just a disaster waiting to happen, using technology in rural areas is definitely a disaster waiting to happen. Who could ask for anything more. Hope you're doing well stay safe.

sounds like the census is almost worthless

@RoyMillar

The US Census is important. It is listed in the United States Constitution before presidential selection. The Census provides an important population count every 10 years, and much more. The first U.S. Census was taken in 1790.

The 2020 Census will determine congressional representation and provide data that will impact communities for the next decade. Over $1.5 trillion will be apportioned for schools, hospitals, roads, public works, rescue services and other vital programs.

Trump meddled with the Census like the Postal Service. Minorities are traditionally undercounted for a number of reasons. Happily, Trump's added Census question about American citizenship was thrown out by the courts.

Trump does not want increased minority populations to get political representation because minorities often vote Democrat.

I know the census is vitality important but the way it is being taken and handled is what makes very in accurate ,The government hanged the cenus in our county also,we use to have a long a short form,long form was at random who got it and took long time to fill in ,but they did away with that one and just kept the short one,which was mailed out last ime to fill in but not much info was collected on it and again it was said to save money but many thought it was because they really did not want the general public to know

@RoyMillar

I completed my 2020 census form online. Fast and easy.

@Literateehiker ,I think i did mine on line last time also,,yes very easy

The last Census we had I noticed they were putting Census forms in mail boxes around my area in houses that had been vacant for years and years.
It makes me wonder if those who pass out the forms get paid by the numbers of forms they deliver.

@Triphid

Census enumerators are paid by the hour.

When nobody answers the door, enumerators are forbidden to put notices in mailboxes. We write the Census I.D. number on each Notice of Visit. When people call the phone number provided, they can give the I.D. number.

Instead, enumerators are required to leave the Notice of Visit by the front door, out of sight of the street. NOT inside a screen door. I just put it folded and tucked partially under the doormat. Or weighed down with a rock.

That is so sad to hear. I did mine online months ago, I didn't realize the struggles the Census enumerators are going through. Technology is great, when it's working, then a dose of COVID - good grief.

Our local Social Security offices are not open to the public right now which is a major inconvenience for me. Now, I have to forward actual important documents by mail and since I do not want to send them my driver's license, I have to send my passport which needs to be updated first. I'm not happy and I cannot imagine what others who could have more pressing matters than mine must be going through.

AvisG Level 4 Aug 25, 2020

No comment. I'm too sickened.

Yeah. It's a tough task.

My wife was out of town when the pollster came. Our house is 30 yds from the nearest neighbor and 20 yds in a different direction from the street so I wasn't expecting any visitors. I had to corral our dog from barking then go back for my mask so she could come to the gate so we could talk.

I have to say I was impressed by her dedication doing her random sample of in-person interviews. It's a big job. And I doubt they are rewarded properly.

The deportation is definitely a major fear. So sad...
I got reached out in all kind of directions - mail, phone and physical visit several times. Hopefully they will be able to organize all the data and match it.

Sadly, I’m not surprised by this, or that business over at the post office. Chaos seems to rule the day. This is America’s annus horribilis.

I don't know, year of disaster or misfortune sounds better IMO, but modern Latin will do. 😁😉

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:527850
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.