Agnostic.com

8 0

I'm kind of curious about why women do strange things to their bodies: waxes, tummy tucks, face make overs, noses done, boobs enlarged (I know women with big go smaller), having long long painted fingernails, lips enlarged, shaving everything they've got.

The only thing I've done out of vanity is eye liner and foundation, I shave under arms randomly. In FL this girl would go to little hot dog gatherings with the neighborhood and wear lipstick. I thought it was amusing.

I never do that stuff for a few reasons. I don't like being a peacock for men or looking easy. I don't like undergoing all that stuff on myself. I used to color my hair and that's about it. Eyeliner for Fri night bar hopping. I am not now mating material and never used that crap, I had plenty of men without and most told me they prefer it that way.

So men? Yes dolled up or who cares?
Women, If it's to attract attention to yourself-why? Do you not care if your intelligence is the attraction? If it's to attract a man, why? It's kind of an illusion.

K9Kohle789 8 Sep 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think women tend to underestimate the value of being attractive. If you had to live your lives being shunned, mistrusted, and feared by members of the opposite sex you would probably feel differently about it.

Believe me, if there was anything I could do to become attractive I would consider it. My best hope is that reincarnation is real.

There’s a whole lot of assuming going on in this post. I don’t wear makeup to get attention from men. I’m 52 years old and well past the need of that sort of attention.

I wear makeup because I like it. It makes me feel good about myself, especially in a work setting when people tend to also dress more nicely.

There also appears to be a tone of thinking women who don’t wear makeup are superior. No ... you simply make other choices. True, some people can go overboard, but judging someone for wearing lipstick to an event you deemed casual? Pshaw. To each her own.

Vanity make-overs and cosmetic surgery is often done to gain (or avoid losing) social and/or economic standing because our society/culture tells us what is most preferred/accepted/desired. Many black women in America have gotten the message over the years (maybe less so in recent years) that the dark skin and tightly coiled hair they were born with is most unattractive. Think about what that means in terms of dating and employment (especially in corporate America). Many have opted to use damaging products like lye to relax their hair; skin lightening creams; glue-on waist-length, Asian- or European-inspired wigs.

Also, many women work in media/entertainment and their body is their brand/commodity. They too alter their bodies in order to gain (or avoid losing) social and/or economic standing.

I wouldn't say it's to look easy but a form of self expression. I shave because I feel cleaner. I rarely wear make-up. I have nice long unpainted nails not because it's feminine but they help with itching and handy when opening things. I do wax because of hirsutism. I draw the line at surgery. Most if not all men I've picked up I did so without all that to do.

Because it makes them happy.

@K9Kohle789 there are many, many reasons, not all of them particularly healthy perhaps, but that is the bottom line.

Good smart appearance is not just for what you get out of it, but also like not displaying your dustbins on the street, a kindness to everyone else.

But of course it can go too far, and many people fall for the, more is better trap, as sold by consumerist industry and advertising, the simple truth that just because someone is selling it, it does not mean it is good, has not dawned on many. (Especially the starkly grotesque cosmetic surgery victims you see everywhere.) Just as not leaving your bin out is good taste, so is not decorating your front garden with a large pimped truck, and a pink plastic hot tub. And there is no reason to think that taste, sense and the ability to resist indoctrination, are likely to be more common in the realm of personal appearance, than housing.

With regard to men of course, men are just a push over, we are so hard wired by nature to like women, that we are dead easy to manipulate. It is about status and hoping, almost certainly in vain, that you can get a 'better' mate by so doing. Though from a womans point of view, you only have to give it a seconds thought to realize that it is actually far more likely to get you a far worse mate, if he is shallow enough to be fooled, well, you can work it out. But of course appearance is not about attracting the opposite sex, that is easy. Most birds sing and have bright feathers, not to attract, but mainly to daunt their own sex, it is about passive aggression not attraction. And happily for you if you are not an aggressive woman, then perhaps it is to your credit that you can not see the point of it.

You say you use eyeliner and used to color your hair. Why did you do that? It's the same answer, whether taken to an expensive ridiculous extreme or not. You 'felt' better about your looks when you did, otherwise you wouldn't have done anything at all. I don't understand the mentality of the extremes, though I suspect it is a way of covering up an inner ugliness one sees in themselves. By making the outside look good, maybe people won't see what is underneath? There is also a lot of pressure put on women from societal expectations of what is considered attractive, and many women seek superficial attention due to being less comfortable with themselves in areas that aren't dependent upon occular vision. I have always been a tomboy at heart, and think time spent in front of a mirror is largely wasted. I wear minimal make up and the one rule I have for my hair guy- he can do whatever he wants but that it needs to be wash-n-go and not add a bunch of time to my daily routine to manage. I think men's preferences vary as much as women's do in this department, though I suspect they come from the same inner issues. Those who prefer a woman more near societies perception of perfect and attractive aren't all that interested in what lies beneath, simply what the additional attractiveness can add to their perception of their own self worth. I find that men who tend to prefer more minimalistic physical efforts tend to be more concerned with the quality of what lies beneath that which is dependent on occular vision alone.

There's nothing wrong with improving one's appearance, such as by combing one's hair, smoothing one's skin with lotions and enhancing the contrast of facial features. The trick is knowing when enough is sufficient.
The same applies to the rest of one's body. Obesity is not natural - it is the result of not caring enough. (Don't confuse "obese" with "plump'. The latter can be quite natural.)

@Gwendolyn2018 In other words, you didn't care enough.
Once you did so, for whatever reason, you had the power to combat it.

@MissKathleen "Enough" in this case is when you, personally, have had enough. The degree varies according to the individual.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:531488
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.