Agnostic.com

38 17

My girlfreind and I went to dinner with friends. This guy proceeds to tell me he resurected the dead. I asked him if his god did not exist would he want to know. He refused to say he would. So then he proceeds to look me in the eye and expect me to believe (his Jesus bullshit) what he just admitted that he did not care if it was factual or not, because he was just going to believe what he wanted to. The audicity.

It boiled my blood to see someone I cared about and respected be so completely dishonest with themselves. I am a bit ashamed, since he did not care wheter his beliefs were true. I unconciously decided to debunk every false belief he said concering HIS religion.

I did do it relentlessly. I tore every bullshit Christian thing he had to say in front of my girlfriend and his wife. As he has a small Christian ministry for vets I thought that he was actually a siminary trained preacher. He actually thought the books of the Bible were written in chronological order. His ignorance was astounding. So I brazenly finished every scripture he quoted. I then follow them up with scriptures that said the opposite or simply showed how the scriptures were logically impossable etc. I tore the man apart.

Why? Here this normally reasonable person did not even care if what he believed was true or real and insisted that I buy the bullshit he did not even truely believe. It was not him lying to me it was seeing this guy self delude himself.

It would not have been caring for me to let it go. It is dangerous fro people to live their lives based on beliefs that are not concordant with reality. I could hav just been nice and ket it go but that is not what friends do.
Now I don't know if the fellow will talk to me again. It does not matter as perhaps I gave him much to think about. I proved to him his god could not exist and he simply walked out.

Have you had any similar experiences? Was I wrong? What do you think?

DavidLaDeau 8 Sep 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

38 comments (26 - 38)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You're lucky if he never talks to you again. Good job.

I would rather he learned to accept thosemwho do not share his literal self delusions. It would be even better if he actually stopped to think about how he comes to know hpwhat he knows and is honest with himself.

When I find that I am in the presence of such people I leave, or if the group is large enough I just place myself in a different place. Life is to short to put up with bullshit and with the way things are the fuse is really short.

I used to drink more than I do now, up to two drinks per outing. If I felt a little creative I would go along and make up shit that was worse than what they were putting forward. After a while I would be the wierd on and this kind of person whole keep away from me, more work but a much better result. Especially fun when people who do not think that way find out that I do not either.

Very delusional be careful

Living here in Bibletown Central, I don't usually get too worked up when people start inflicting their beliefs. My usual response is "I don't believe you." or "I don't believe that." If they continue being pushy, I suggest they either prove what they claim is true, introduce a new topic, or just shut the hell up.

Deb57 Level 8 Sep 8, 2020

"I brazenly finished every scripture he quoted. I then follow them up with scriptures that said the opposite" Many scriptures are supposed to pose a paradox because the meaning often isn't meant to lie solely on the surface.

"I asked him if his god did not exist would he want to know. He refused to say he would." Your question if crude may have served a good purpose. Some such people make a god of their role. If so I hope he is edging back from that.

You don't have to turn him into the same flavour of "atheistic agnostic" that you are and some elements in your argumentation will have had less force than others. The rot comes from within churches which have a drastically unbalanced view of what ministry really is for. Its proper purpose is not to stop you being whatever kind of agnostic you want. As I see it in what ought to be their proper terms, they have to get their stuff right, for them, and most churches don't.

Thank you for doing the hard work that, frankly, many of us are incapable of or unwilling to do.
I don't have the depth of knowledge to finish bible quotes, but I ask questions that focus on the general morality. Basically I let them know that I think they are immoral and promoting evil. The conversation usually dries up at that point. I don't get angry, I basically express my dissapointment in them, and urge them to change their evil ways. Not sure if it works...

Let memmakemit very, very clear. I do not sit there memorizing scripture. I know you did not suggest that. I just was that indoctrinated the I know the Bible well. Now I spend time every day studying the damn book for one reason or the other as I am an atheist activist. You see, as a Christians I knew the Bible more than most Christians now I know the Bible better as an atheist than a great many preachers. I have to know it better than them. I have to know what the different sects think on each subject so that at a nice dinner party I can stuuf the Bible BACK down their throat evidently. I still kinda feel like a prick for some reason.

@DavidLaDeau lol, I hear ya. you should only feel like a prick if your goal is to hurt them rather than help them let go. 🙂

I look upon them as sick, infected with a memetic virus. Its not their fault, it happened to them as kids. And the only way they get rid of the virus is to let it go after decades of those ideas in your head. Its tough, I imagine. I think knowing that they won't be alone and have supportive friends outside the religion will give them courage.

@MakeItGood Thank You, thst my modivation I was that deluded guy.

I applaud your bringing to light the truth as you know it. It may make a difference and it make not, until years have passed and then...it may never ‘take!’ Because I have lost people I considered dear, over just this kind of revelation! And they never came back and it is 25 yrs now! Some religious types have their faith written in stone and no matter how deeply they may care for you...these people will drop you like a hot potato and never look back! Maybe, we leave them to their own devises? Somehow, I feel that no one should be forced into something that goes against his/her ‘grain!’ I know I can’t do it!

I did havemone verymclose friend involved in the Meninite cult. As soon as she discovered that I was an theist she cut all ties. I am glad she did I had no idea how disengenious she was.

Your Christian friend doesn't know Jesus is Angelic lord of host Lucifer the devil. You do not know how to properly dispute an uneducated or wrongly educated Christian. I do not have to bring this Jesus to you in person. The biblical scriptures gives testimony of this.

Referring to the old testiment writings as Jesus character is quoted to of said: John 5:39 (A)You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and ( B) it is they that bear witness about me,

So, both of you are wrong.

Word Level 8 Sep 7, 2020

Lamo!

Interesting...I have to wonder how...but I guess it doesn’t matter?

Did he start the religous talk? If he did then what happens after that he has to wear.
I am a vegetarian but don't make a huge deal out of it. Was at a buffet and selected my food went and sat down. Someone else sat down and asked me why I did not have any of the meat dishes, I replied I don't eat meat. When they asked why I said that I could not kill an animal.
They then started on me about how if people did not eat meat then the world would be overrun by animals and I had better not stop them from eating meat. I looked at them and asked them why they felt so threatened by me and my choices, to which of course they replied they were not.
I then relayed the entire incident for them pointing out I had not commented on their food choice they commented on mine. I gave a reply that made it clear I was the person not eating it I did not say the eating meat was evil or they should not but that I did not, where upon they got defensive about my choice. That speaks to guilt.
They were livid and tried to tell me they were not threatened so I smiled sweetly at them and turned to talk to someone else about something else. For the next ten minutes all I could hear was them telling everyone else at the table that they were not threatened by me. When I had finished eating I got up looked at them, smiled as I headed off.
They avoided me for the rest of the weekend. If I walked into a room they left it. They also told people that I had no right to tell people that animals are killed for meat. If the adults had not figured it out then I felt really sorry for them.

I expected religion to come up. They did not bring it up directly until he started taliking about his mission is Russia. I did have a few questions about the Russian peoples and governments views on religion in 1994. It was a very interesting historical time there. Then he said he raised a guy from the dead. Ut was then I asked him If his god did not exist would he want to know. When he refused to say that he would want to know it his god was not real it intellectually pissed me off. Why because he had tha audacity to look at me and tell me his Jesus Bullshit when we had established that he did not care it it was real. Did he really think I was that stupid?

"I brazenly finished every scripture he quoted. I then follow them up with scriptures that said the opposite"

Many scriptures are supposed to pose a paradox because the meaning is not supposed to be on the surface.

"I asked him if his god did not exist would he want to know. He refused to say he would."

Your question, if a bit crude, may have served a purpose. Some of those types make a god of their own role. I hope he is edging back from that oi

apologies for post gone wrong - immediately following is the right one

I've seen all the sides of all the fences. Is he Bethelated? Did his wife tug his sleeve after and say "you shouldn't have bragged about that dear"?

That guy should have known he shouldn't have brought that up like that. If he had really raised someone, but had a good attitude, he would be humbled and go running to someone with true expertise and insight into that stuff for mentoring. You already had a feeling about his attitude. He's "trying to prove something". When I was about 60 a guy of 69 was like that with me (in attitude).

My guess is he'll think twice before bragging or insinuating, hence you've done good on balance. Within the terms of their own system (if he had got it right) it's the attitude that counts, "miracles" have a different meaning or purpose and it's not to "impress". It's likely patients suddenly improve dramatically from a most grave condition and of course he should be struck by it if he was in proximity, but not let it go to his head. If you had asked after the patient, he could just say the patient had dramatically improved. You mix with these types and have always been prepared to appreciate what they do for the vets, overall. You know this bloke "ministers" and you'd have been glad enough.

Usually its something like "yeah god healed my grandmas cancer" but raising the dead was too damn much.

I've had a thought about this? is he subliminally trying to emphasize his patriotism by the "results he happens to get"? I hope that either i he will wind down his attempts to confuse issues or ii he will give you and others sufficient chance to take no notice.

As regards the suggestion re Magnobosco, I'm all for cribbing what we want from whom we want (and some of his ideas are good), but do think before spending your life in a cult deprogramming cult.

If this wasn't a spelling test then I'd suggest :

girlfriend resurrected audacity whether unconsciously seminary impossible truly

Yeah, I am very well read yet can not spell for crap. I wrote this at a freinds house where we are house sitting and frankly this is bothering me so I just wrote and did not even edit.

@DavidLaDeau this is not the place where policing of spelling and grammar is carried out! It would be an injustice to people like me, who are loosing my spelling and word memories, by aging...but want to stay living with the living!

When I type my drivel the automatic speel check kix into underline and ovadrive, uno those words with the rud squigle underneaf.

If his God does exist, would you want to know?

skado Level 9 Sep 7, 2020

Damn blocking smart asses that like to detract from conversations does not work on this site. But I will answer your question as it was out of charactor for you do actually give a good one or even add to the conversation. So kudos!
If it is that souls did exist and that there was an afterlife featuring heaven and hell then there could be no more important thing to know for anyone. So of course I would want to know. I am only concern to know and understand what is real. It is one of the things that I find to be of great importance in my life. Only a fool would not want to live their lives according to what is real.

@DavidLaDeau They can't conduct their affairs convincingly and it hinges on their affairs in the here and now. It stands to reason we can't see to live beyond our usual dimensions. If that type knew anything real they would present it genuinely and not attempt to "win brownie points". They don't believe their claimed basis.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:531725
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.