Agnostic.com

20 2

When did the practice of men not carrying a purse but a wallet start?

It was alright for a man to keep his money and some items in a purse tied to his waist. So when did that become passe? It's getting to the point in my life to where I am seriously thinking of using some type of purse. No, not a Fanny Pack. I fill four pockets with stuff before I leave home. Wallet, money clip, keys, cell phone, rescue inhaler, reader glasses and some other item at times

PickledRick 8 Apr 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If I carried a satchel or purse it would be full of all sorts of stupid stuff, voltmeters, pliers, screwdrivers, wrenches, wire, electrical tape, survival blanket, lighter, magnesium fire starter, water purifier...

My wife carries a purse, and I am very reluctant to reach into it, due to injuries sustained in the past.

Yes, you think, and then you carry one around for a while and learn how to whittle it down 🙂 But I still get asked why I carry a lighter when I don't smoke 😉

I didn't carry a purse for most of my life. Pockets jammed full of everything in the world. It's idiotic.

I've been carrying a purse for a couple of years now, and love it so much. I know where everything is, always. Keys, change, cash, credit cards, chap stick, powder, lip stick, pen, security badge, phone, lighter, gum, pills, mace, vaporizer. I know where in my purse everything is. I actually only buy one specific configuration of purse because of the organization it allows.

I say do it. Carry a purse. It's practical AF.

My ex-wife would buy me shirts with no pockets on them!!! I have to have a pocket on a shirt. She thought they looked nice but I can't use a shirt with no pockets. Farm boys have to have a pocket. It's a wearable purse! In grad school I carried a shoulder bag and loved it! I'd carry another one if the need arose. Now, where'd I put my jumper cables???

I have a friend, big, but muscled and 6'5" who carries a satchel containing stuff. I think he is very masculine and no one has ever said anything to him about carrying a purse. It's how you work it.

@SACatWalker I was using "Its how you work it" in relation to his satchel carrying. Actually, I found your post confusing. "That's not because of how he works it you... angel face! Does anyone proof read their own writing on this site?" Want to clarify?

@SACatWalker Okay, I'll break this down. Yes, I feel his size and strength play into how he and his actions are viewed, and yes he knows it altho he's not a brawler. That is why I brought his size into it. If you didn't understand that inference, sorry and yes your post was confusing. Moving on...

This dates all the way back to our hunter gatherer roots. Traditionally men would never have bags either carried or hanging from their shoulder. This would encumber running or combat.. It is ok to have items attached to a belt such as the purses you mentioned. Women on the other hand would have bags to gather nuts, berries and any other food stuffs they found.
This is not a denigration of women's role in the pre-agricultural society. On the contrary they provided between 60% and 80% of the diet.

It was n e v e r a 'purse'. it was called a 'satchel'. 'purses' are for women, while either sex can reliable carry a 'satchel'.

Have to disagree , there are numerous examples in the 14th century of men's purses, some are shown in museums. Literature from that century also refers to a 'man's' purse. Check it out at the what was called ' The Field Museum' on LSD, they had a few there on display.

The word 'purse' originally came from the cinching of a money bag with drawstrings. It's why the crewman in charge of a ship's finances was called a 'purser,' why the winnings in gambling/horse racing/prizefight is called a 'purse.'

It may have gone out of fashion due to pickpockets and cutpurses.

In this modern time, many men carry backpacks, one strap sacks worn diagonally across the back, or briefcases depending on the circumstances. Or take it up a notch with a full suit and vest which have additional pockets, and you'll look amazing.

I think the reason is that in the olden days, the money that people carried was in the form of coinage, coins had a lot more value then, hence a bag or purse. Recent history saw the rise of 'paper' money, and so the wallet became more practical in day to day life.

I wear cargo pants every day. I don't need a purse. Women's pockets are only for decoration.

JimG Level 8 Apr 8, 2018

I hate that

I carry a backpack to and from work. I have my laptop in it and the other stuff I need, like my keys, headphones, etc.

@Plainjane it's a stupid social stigma that guys don't need to carry anything around other than his wallet and keys.

The day after trouser pockets appeared.

Maybe carry a messenger bag or wear a belt with pouches? The kind with, like, three or four--they look way better than fanny packs.

The 1600 hundreds.

Coldo Level 8 Apr 8, 2018

That sounds to far back to me , but maybe.

@buzz13 Yip,started In The 1600 Hundreds.

I carry a man purse. It’s a Timbuk2 bag in military green duck canvas. Get the XS size, plenty big unless you need a laptop in it, in which case the next size up.

I will check it out

19th century wallets came into fashion.

Thank you I really was wondering when.

When they had less things to carry?

Times have changed. When I was younger I only carried a wallet and hooked my keys to the belt loop.

seems like i have seen such things in New York -Messenger bags. I googled it and dropped my teeth Gucci cheapy was like $600

Alright guys there needs to be an intervention for buzz13. No purse.....ever!

You'll have to catch me first...lol

@buzz13 man-up, go cargo pants instead....lol

I'm in trouble. My wife died and I started using one of her big shoulder bags for day hikes instead of a backpack. Much more convenient as I can swing it forward to get snacks and water bottle. Everyone else has to take the pack off to get their things.

@Darthpug No, I always my old speedo's

It's society's view with masculinity and being feminine.

It is a common sense issue of not having one more thing to keep up with. Nothing stops you from not carrying one or me from carrying one. It is a choice . 🙂

@Sticks48 Anyone can carry one IMO. Society has taught others that men should not carry purses, now-a-days.

@Sarahroo29 You keep harping on gender. In todays world you can pretty much dress anyway you want and no one cares. We don't want to carry that much crap. No one makes you carry a purse becuase you are a woman.

@Sticks48 True, but some men have a lot of things to carry.

@Sarahroo29 Not really. Wallet, keys, phone, maybe a handkerchief, money clip, and reading glasses, all fitting in our pockets.

@Sticks48 Depends on the guy I guess.

We're probably not responsable enough to remember our man purses. I know I'd be forgeting it.

we used to carry our blitz bags which were filled with hippy stuff. they were old air raid bags in canvas

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:53218
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.