Agnostic.com

16 5

What's up with personal hygiene these days?

A couple of the sites I frequent for the forums also double as dating sites, much like this one. I'll occasionally peruse the ads, just to see how folks are presenting themselves. Increasingly common is the mention of the OP being a "clean" person or desiring such, sometimes even specifying the details of what this entails. I find this baffling in the extreme, as I would take good personal hygiene to be a given and not something that would have to be remarked upon. And this is cropping up elsewhere. I had an acquaintance (not a friend, someone I know casually) ask me to make them some soup. She added that she felt comfortable doing so b/c she believed me to be a clean person who also kept a clean house. (She had evidently been listening in on my conversations on transit.) This bit of sharing was followed by WAAAAY too much TMI on HER personal habits-did not need to know, had no wish to know, stop telling me this, thank you! Has anyone noticed this, or is this just me?

BookDeath 8 Apr 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm very self-conscience about my appearance. I try to always be clean. I take the light rail train through downtown Houston daily and sometimes people get on there that smell like they haven't had a bath in days!

People frequently use the term "clean" to mean "drug free" or "disease free".

As Tom Sharpe wrote, I fart in bed, I like to fart in bed. It is the trumpet call of the antropoid ape.

No, I haven't noticed it, but your post made me laugh. 🙂

I suspect when some people on dating sites say they are 'clean,' they are referencing that they are one of the few to not have contracted an STI.

Like you, I alwasy assume most people take care of their hygiene. I hope anyway! And, if they don't, well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

this thread is a good one; it has helped me know who else I should block.

I bathe once a month, whether I need it or not!

Who does want some that takes care of their body..

You'd be surprised how many grimy people there are out there.

Lani Level 5 Apr 8, 2018

RIGHT ON

and even more liars

This could be indicative of traits we may find in humanity with this new tool of interconnectednsss that has grown from technology.

This is surely new to me! As my older self now, I do not take a bath everyday, but I sponge off, on in-between days! No one has ever commented on my hygiene! But those people probably would make a wide space around me, which would suit me just fine! Wow! Wonder how much dirty work those 'clean' people do? Just a thought!

@alvinsmom yes, if I have been working hard at something!!

Good hygiene equates to "smells good" in my mind. Maybe I'm naive in what else the term means to others. I have come across several people who might have good hygiene habits (bathing, brushing teeth, etc.) but who don't wash the sweat off their clothes or linens often enough, so they always smell bad to me. Deal breaker for friends or dating.

Good hygiene is a relative term - nobody is going to admit to having poor hygiene - so seems silly to put in an ad - but the only judge on that is my own nose.

Let's not forget diet, which can cause skin to emit certain kinds of odors! And illness, can cause people to smell different! No amount of deodorant will cover these odors!

Yes, I have a very sensitive nose. Spicy foods, especially with garlic, don't smell so good on some folks the next day. I was just addressing the hygiene issue. Lots of factors, toward making a romantic partner smell good to me, but only my nose can tell! No amount of professing they bathe regularly is good enough for this skeptical girl!

All of you clean freaks will land up dead way before the rest of us. the chemical industry has run amok

Lol.

Absolutely. People are sharing way too much on these sites.

Now onto the hygienic aspect of your comment. I am a Nurse PRactitioner and I am finding cases of "scabies", "lice infestations" and the like are on the increase amonst my case load. Now mind you, my population is varied economically speaking. I have come across individuals who claim to bathe twice to three times a week. Skin issues abound due to drug usage and other hygienic issues. So, yes i have found folks lacking in the hygiene area.

I would guess it's got a lot to do with increased poverty.

@Blindbird Yes, its a part. Many other factors like restricted access to health care and adequate nourishment.

@JayJackson all of which go hand in hand. It's sad and a natural consequence of so many of our social policies. We KNOW that poverty begets ignorance,filth, criminality, and misery yet we keep creating more poverty while spouting nonsense about pulling yourself up by your bootstraps.

@Blindbird agreed. I am sitting in my office right now trying to convince a pharmaceutical company to extend their free med policy for another six months for the disadvantage. Its very frustrating. We here spend/Rx well over twenty million dollars worth of prescriptions a year, so i know that a couple hundred thousand dollars in free meds isnt a mortal wound for this particular company. I am getting fed up with this nonsense.

@JayJackson me too. I hope we all get fed up with it and start really fighting back.

Personal hygiene is extremely important. Poor hygiene-dealbreaker.

I only focus on my personal hygiene habits. Idc about anyone else's.

I see "looking for someone clean and disease/drug free". Those three are givens in my mind.

well you cut out one third of the population then

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:53234
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.