Agnostic.com

27 12

Emergency Packing List. What would you add?

Wenatchee, WA is surrounded by wildfires:

[tools.airfire.org]

[aqicn.org]

It's easy to panic when you have to evacuate. I know by experience, having a numbered list handy in order of priority makes it much easier.

My Emergency Packing List

Use luggage, day pack and backpack.

1. Files: insurance, legal papers, car title and will.
  2. Phone and charger.
  3. Purse with wallet.
  4. Medicine basket and pill organizers. Emergen-C for muscle cramps.
  5. Computer and backup. Computer cord.
  6. Cameras, 2. Batteries and charger. Cords to plug cameras into computer.
  7. Sleeping bag, backpacking mattress pad and pillows, 2.
  8. Clothes, shoes, pajamas and masks.
  9. Down jacket and raincoat.

10 -Shoes, slippers, hiking boots and socks. Hat.
11-Toiletry kits, makeup, lotions and sunscreen.
12-Baby books: Claire’s and mine. Photos are precious.
13-Jewelry.
14-Oil paintings. Cedar Loon bowl.
15-New Mexico native pots.
16-Flute and sheet music.
17-Non-perishable food, water and water purifier.

Note: a first-aid kit lives in my day pack.

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Water.

@AgeofReason

Good point.

In my car, I carry two Camelbak water bottles to drink while driving. Always keep them full.

Might try to score a water filter or backpackers water treatment kit just in case... takes less room that a large volume of water (essentially adding to what you can transport).

@MissKathleen

They are Camelbak BPA-free water bottles with a bite-valve.

[tools.airfire.org]

@Zster

Good idea. I will grab my backpacking water filtration system.

@MissKathleen

With backpacking, it's essential to reduce weight.

I'll just grab my lightweight backpacking water filtration system.

My daughter sent me a great readiness list from the county, which included these property prep items:

Inside
❑ Shut windows and doors
❑ Remove flammable window shades, curtains and close metal shutters.
❑ Remove lightweight curtains.
❑ Move flammable furniture to the center of the room, away from windows and doors.
❑ Shut off gas at the meter; turn off pilot lights. Only a certified technician from your local gas
company can turn the gas on again.
❑ Leave your lights on so firefighters can see your house under smoky conditions.
❑ Shut off the air conditioning.
❑ If time allows, take a video of your home for insurance purposes, focusing on expensive items
and serial numbers.

Outside
❑ Gather flammable items from the exterior of the house and bring them inside (patio furniture,
children’s toys, doormats, trash cans, etc.) or place them in an in-ground pool.
❑ Turn off propane tanks.
❑ Move propane BBQ appliances away from structures.
❑ Connect garden hoses to outside water valves or spigots for use by firefighters. Fill water
buckets and place them around the house.
❑ Don’t leave sprinklers on or water running, they can affect critical water pressure.
❑ Leave exterior lights on so your home is visible to firefighters in the smoke or darkness of night.
❑ Put your Emergency Supply Kit in your vehicle.
❑ Back your car into the driveway with vehicle loaded and all doors and windows closed. Carry
your car keys with you.
❑ Have a ladder available and place it at the corner of the house for firefighters to quickly access
your roof.
❑ Seal attic and ground vents with pre-cut plywood or commercial seals.
❑ Patrol your property and monitor the fire situation. Don’t wait for an evacuation order if you feel
threatened.

I have no suggestions that haven't been already posted.
Hope you don't have to evacuate.
Please be safe.
Sending good thoughts.

Batteries, rechargable batteries, charging bricks, in case you are away from hard wired power. What food and drinks you can carry (the more compact, nonperishable, the better - think back packing style). Sentimental items like photos, etc... starting with most treasured and compact items first.

Zster Level 8 Sep 13, 2020

@Zster

Thank you!

I added jewelry (my mother's pearls), batteries, fruit and vegetables. Also my flute.

@LiterateHiker I send heartfelt well wishes through this. Hopefully you won't need the pack, but... peace of mind gained from being ready might be valuable in itself.

A large Crate of Red Wine

@dermot235

I don't like alcohol.

@LiterateHiker If TRUMP Wins you might grow to like it.....?

A large, sturdy hunting knife

@Cutiebeauty

I have three Swiss Army folding knives: car, daypack and purse.

No need for a large knife.

@LiterateHiker Multitool? I keep one in my car.

@tinkercreek

In my car, I have a Swiss Army multi-tool. Love it!

As is the Rule here in Australia for Bush-fire Evacuations, pack ONLY the very Essentials and Necessities to survive, these include House Insurance and Deeds, Birth Certificates, Identifications, medications, plenty of fresh, clean water and any household pets that you can fit into your vehicle.

Sounds like you have it well under control ,only suggestion i can make is you have to ditch or leave the car, in your back pack ,carry stuff ,have you lightest and most valuable stuff that you can just pick up and run with and hope the vehicle will still be intact after

@RoyMillar

I have an LED carabiner flashlight attached to my purse.

Not trying to sound sarcastic you poo-pooed the radio is your car light enough to carry? A small transistor radio will function a lot longer than a cell phone on one set of batteries.

@oldFloyd

You'd be amazed at how much I can carry in my Honda Civic.

I can pack everything in my daypack and luggage, apart from the computer case, sewing box, sleeping bag and oil paintings.

@LiterateHiker I got a Chevy Bolt I understand small cars I'm at in case you had to abandon the car. I've always had small cars they're more fun. 😉

All key files should be digitized and stored in a secure cloud.
Backup/auxiliary battery than can charge phone and laptop.

Tooth brush and paste, extra undies, water, and a pillow. Also, more water. and, oh yeah, running shoes.

@MyTVC15

My travel toiletry kits have everything I need. Good idea to pack running shoes. Will add that to the list.

Radio able to pick up weather channels as well as am/fm.

@BudFrank

My car has an am/fm radio.

\a small transistor radio in you back pack in case you have to ditch the car

All joking aside. Hope you don't have to evacuate. Stay safe

Would is not be easier to just drive to CANADA. If everything turns to Shit in the US you can go to Canada.

@dermot235

With COVID travel restrictions, the Canada/U.S. borders are closed.

@LiterateHiker Oh Shit. Cross the Border off Road. Canada has not built a wall YET

@dermot235 Yet!

Each time I thought of something , you already had it listed . Good job . Diapers and other baby supplies ?

@Cast1es

Thank you.

My daughter is 30. No need for diapers and baby supplies. Yet.

1. Pinot grigio

2. Tylenol

@LucyLoohoo

In my car, I keep ibuprofen and water bottles.

@MissKathleen

Me, too. First aid kit is in my day pack and car. Also, I carry Camelbak non-BPA water bottles in my car to drink while driving.

In my car trunk, I have:

1. Jumper cables.
  2. Granular kitty litter gives tire traction on ice.
  3. Flares.
  4. Wool blanket.
  5. First aid kit
  6. Spare tennis shoes
  7. Survival blanket.
  8. Instant heat pads.
  9. Flashlights (purse and car).

Attached to my purse is a MIghty Brite LED carriber flashlight.

@LiterateHiker and @MissKathleen For so very long, I have gotten odd looks and dismissals on my "girl scout-packed" car, so critical. THANK YOU for re-enforcing my values on being well-equipped at all times - WE know what's what!! ✔

Masks, gloves, sanitizer.
Best wishes. Stay safe.

Thank you .

Your list seems pretty complete. I hope you won’t have to evacuate. I am sending good vibes your way, please be safe!😉

Photo albums

Orbit Level 7 Sep 13, 2020

@Orbit

Baby books are precious photo albums.

Possibly the bottom of your list: a tent, folding chair and an inverter

@Scott1234

With asthma, I cannot be outside in heavy smoke. Nix on the tent.

What is an inverter?

[aqicn.org]

@LiterateHiker a small device that converts 12 volt DC to 110 volt AC. Most vehicles have USB outlets that will charge cell phones very slowly, the inverter will charge devices like an outlet in your home. Not needed if your staying in a home/hotel with electricity

Driving license, and car papers.
Hope you don't need any of it.

@Fernapple

Thanks. I added the car title to the list.

So far there’s a full truck. But no ice cream! LOL

Unless you like baked Alaska.

Printed directions to your destinations

@ScubaWags

In the pocket of my car door are printed directions to favorite destinations.

Bean seeds. Everything else is inconsequential. They are going to die. Give me beans, or give me death! ( But I would be perfectly happy with a cabin in the mountains with a pot of beans. 🙂

Exactly what kind of beans? Green beans? Wax bean? Kidney beans? Magic bean? When it comes to beans you need to be specific.

@MyTVC15
Dragon beans. They grow fast and only ask for a place to spread their arms. Some black beans would also be welcome.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:533825
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.