Agnostic.com

27 12

Emergency Packing List. What would you add?

Wenatchee, WA is surrounded by wildfires:

[tools.airfire.org]

[aqicn.org]

It's easy to panic when you have to evacuate. I know by experience, having a numbered list handy in order of priority makes it much easier.

My Emergency Packing List

Use luggage, day pack and backpack.

1. Files: insurance, legal papers, car title and will.
  2. Phone and charger.
  3. Purse with wallet.
  4. Medicine basket and pill organizers. Emergen-C for muscle cramps.
  5. Computer and backup. Computer cord.
  6. Cameras, 2. Batteries and charger. Cords to plug cameras into computer.
  7. Sleeping bag, backpacking mattress pad and pillows, 2.
  8. Clothes, shoes, pajamas and masks.
  9. Down jacket and raincoat.

10 -Shoes, slippers, hiking boots and socks. Hat.
11-Toiletry kits, makeup, lotions and sunscreen.
12-Baby books: Claire’s and mine. Photos are precious.
13-Jewelry.
14-Oil paintings. Cedar Loon bowl.
15-New Mexico native pots.
16-Flute and sheet music.
17-Non-perishable food, water and water purifier.

Note: a first-aid kit lives in my day pack.

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments (26 - 27)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have always had a bug out bag ready.

Defense mechanism. Preferably hand gun size rather than long rifle. Good sharp cutting tool. Folding lock blade, or a good quality multi tool with mini saw blade, screw drivers,can opener etc.

Word Level 8 Sep 13, 2020

@Word

Why do you think I need self-defense weapons?

I have pepper spray on a wristband.

@LiterateHiker Pepper spray is only a minimum type of defense weapon. I have 10 years of law enforcement and understand use of force.

I can understand, some people would only want to have the minimum defense but when someone brings a gun fight to you, even though you do not ask or invite. ...

It actually gives though to me about the biblical teachings written about in the Book of Acts, be for "Christianity " was Romanticized. The stoning of Stephen is an example of defenseless passiveness that people would not even defend their own life when attacked by others.

It is a type of martyrdom. It's like, you would love the wilds of nature so much, that you would only carry pepper spray to scare off a bear. But, realistically, it could be that you pepper spray is limited compared to what a bear or several bears could do against some small can of spray. So you then, think that if your small pepper spray isn't enough for bears or a group of attacking theiving muggers, you would give your life, as in letting them over take you because your defense is not sufficient, thus giv6your life as a martyr for the cause of low defense.

@Word

Since age 21, I have hiked 200-350 miles year.

In 45 years of hiking, I have only seen one small bear and two cougars. None attacked us. This was in the Olympic Mountains in my 20s.

Rounding a corner, I surprised a small brown bear eating berries. Startled, we looked at each other, turned and ran in opposite directions.

I never hike alone. Safety in numbers. Pacific rattlesnakes are non-aggressive. I'm not worried.

@LiterateHiker it only takes the one time to kill you with having low defense

@Word

Stop being so negative. I refuse to live in fear.

@LiterateHiker I don't live in fear. I have walked and lived in the trenches of homeless amongst drug addicts, gang bangers and the like with no defense mechanism other than my own body parts. Understanding verbal judo can help but words do not always stop people's actions.

@LiterateHiker we live in a world of governmental terrorism, religious oppression of police brutality congering up taxation, fines, fees and court cost the only freedom is like that of Stephen atoned to death or an elimination of Masonic lodge secret religion racist devil worshippers government terrorism. It may require fighting fire with fire to bring about true freedom for all people animals to have true freedom from governmental terrorism, taxation and religious oppression.

@K9Kohle789

Wenatchee is surrounded by wildfires.

[tools.airfire.org]

It's easy to panic when you have to evacuate. I know by experience, having a numbered list handy in order of priority makes it much easier.

On September 29, 2015, I had to evacuate because the Sleepy Hollow wildfire was heading right toward me. Howling winds and over 100 degrees. The winds blew burning material across town. This fire destroyed 29 homes, a recycling plant, and a fruit packing warehouse that had boxes of cherries stacked, ready to be shipped.

Over 225 fruit packing workers were thrown out of work. The owners of other fruit packing warehouses stepped up and hired them all.

At the fruit warehouse, two ammonia tanks exploded in the fire. Wenatchee residents were ordered to stay indoors until the deadly cloud of ammonia gas dissipated. Took three hours.

The fire was deliberately started by a mentally ill man. He used a BIC lighter to light dry grass.

[nbcnews.com]

@K9Kohle789 and @Word Have you watched the news? Hundreds of acres of the west coast of the US has been consumed by wildfires over the past weeks, and still is. 500,00 Oregonians alone have been evacuated, likely the same or more in California and Washington, many losing their homes, businesses, farms, and lives. We are not running from the boogie man.

@tinkercreek

Thank you.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:533825
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.