Agnostic.com

6 3

If Christianity can be considered a form of slave morality according to Nietzsche, then is atheism an expression of master morality?

Hages 7 Sep 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

NO because Nietzsche is using "slave morality" as a designation for those following Christian precepts of surrendering to god, serving the church, suppressing desires and the lie of theological chiasmus (he who is least amongst us is greatest and he who is greatest is the servant of all)
In Nietzsche's philosophy Christians have slave morality, Christianity as an institution has Master Morality and a vested interesting in maintaining that status quo.
Atheists have no part in the predicate.

Nietzche's concepts of master/slave morality do not equate to christianity/atheism.They don't really belong on the same axes.

To use the old cliche. Only if not collecting stamps is a hobby.

I think you're thinking "master" is the opposite of "slave" whereas I would say it is the compliment. How about "free"? The master is more like the controlling deity, not the free thinking independent being unfettered by theistic shackles.

The implication here would seem to be that Christianity and atheism are polar opposites, which of course they are not.

Nietzsche instituted an Ayn Rand brand of Atheism. I chose to be a free thinker. I have my own sense of morality and I try to stay out of trouble. I don't define morality for anybody else. They know right from wrong. Free will. Some people chose wrong.

Nietzsche came before Ayn Rand, Nietzsche was a genius and Ayn was not. You can still choose to be however you want.

@dalefvictor Nietzsche teachings were used by her and Hitler before her for that matter. Friedrich Nietzsche was Adolf Hitler's godfather.

@barjoe The people who read Nietzsche and understood it could take what ever they wanted of it and make of it what they will. Hitler's interpretation was one, I do not think Nietzsche would take what he did with his thought as what he wanted. It is my opinion that most Philosophers are not understood for what they have put forth. People have a way of taking what they think they have read and make it their own, or do with it as they will.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:535138
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.