Agnostic.com

11 4

LINK Study Says Religion Contributes $67.5 Billion to Canada’s Economy: Is It True? | Val Wilde | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

From the article....

It’s not a stretch to assume, then, that they’re coming to the facts with a very specific conclusion in mind. They’ve already taken for granted that religion is a social good; they’re choosing their facts and figures to make an argument for what they already believe. It doesn’t mean the data they have is made up or incorrect. It means their interpretation can be debated and what’s not included in their analysis may be as important as what they chose to mention.

snytiger6 9 Sep 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I very much believe this. First I view religion and faith as closely related but different. I kinda think of religion as the business side of faith. I mean when u listen to Joel osten preach that u should give 10% of ur income to the church. Then u read hes worth $40-60m and lives in a 14k sq ft home valued at $10m, and td Jake's is worth $20m. So it may or may not contribute to Canada's economy. Its def big business and contributes billions to some economy

Geez, given the working adult population is about 25 million, thats about $2600 per working adult. Considering not all donate or are Christian, that number is closer to $3000. Thats roughly $60 a week. I wonder what gets done with all that money....it can't all be luxury air planes and gold plated toilets? Hockey tickets?

Religious f9olk ALWAYS fudge the numbers in their favor.

Maybe it's True, because churches make lots of money on every Sunday service through Offering contributed by the members

If people didn't spend the money in churches, they just spend it elsewhere.I don't 'think religion really has an economic impact on economies... other than they leave people with less money to spend on themselves.

Where does that $ come from? What other uses could be made of it?

Silly People!!!

Too many assumptions, and I cannot allow myself to suspend my disbelief!

BS....they lose far more in tax revenue than is actually gained....religion is a drain on society, financially and spiritually

There are usually two sets of accounts.

What Country does this money come from? If the money is already in Canada then it’s just the turnover of religious companies. Unless they’re exporting products and bringing revenue the Country wouldn’t otherwise of had, I fail to see how they are ‘adding/ contributing’ this to the economy.
I agree with @twill

Any social activity generates revenue, compare the church to sports, all I'm saying is that there are alternative activities that can more than make up for any lost revenue due to the church congregations coming to their senses.
In fact call it cultural and do it for the ritual especially if everyone knows and openly acknowledges that it's a crock of mythology.
Never base a political position on anyones mythology, even Jewish mythology.
Mythology gives us the emblems of fascism.

A statistic can be a fact that has been twisted.

So they're eating food that has been deemed religious....that contributes more to the economy than regular food? Or non religious people don't eat.

If non religious people didn't eat, then they would not be spending those food savings on something else?

twill Level 7 Sep 23, 2020

Yeah, back in college there were only about 5% of us who understood how to properly interpret statistics.

First of all as the article says, the research company is Cardus, an unapologetically christian organization, so just there the results are biased ergo bullshit, second, to say that because supermarkets use halal and kosher to cater to arabics and jews is another load of crap, finally they did not even consider the cost of their tax exemptions, which probably exceed the amount they "generate". Bullshit is bullshit!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:536962
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.