15 2

Cat Owners: Inside or outside?

Where do your cats live?

• 11 votes
  • 11 votes
  • 0 votes
AstralSmoke 8 Nov 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As long as there is another animal to share the living space with (a cat left on its own in an apartment/house too often can get really effed up) I think keeping cats indoors is much better. And it's not even other animals doing harm to my cats its vehicles I'm most worried about. Had too many cats killed by cars in my life. It's hard enough when they die of old age. There's also the issue of already well-fed cats hunting and killing when they don't need to.

A cat who goes outside more will likely have a shorter life, but will also likely have a life filled with fun and adventure.

It depends..I have some strictly inside..because they are not street smart and totally will get killed...I have 3 that go out but usually come in at night to sleep..everyone is fixed so no babies..the other issue with allowing them outside is the negative impact on wildlife

The impact on wildlife might be larger than most are willing to accept.

I plan on building an outdoor cat enclosure for all my cats..

Obviously, if your cat is an indoors-only cat, that's the best scenario. If they get used to going out, though, I think they're much happier having those adventures to romp and hunt as they please (just make sure they have a collar with contact info).

However, if you're going to let your cat out, make sure you live in an area that doesn't have dangerous wildlife like deer or coyotes. If you live by a busy road, that's also a bad idea. There are these things called "catios" though, which is like a cage you can set up on your patio or hanging out of your window so your cat can get outside time without wandering too far.

My girl Mallomar loves being outside to the point she hides so you can't catch her and bring her in at night

We tried to keep th cats inside, but they had other ideas. After a couple of weeks we discovered when they went outside we hardly ever had to change the litter box. Now, we have a cat door installed in the sliding screen door, so they can go in and out at will during warmer weather. Over the last few weeks it has been codl and raniing most days, and they may ask to go out, but they just sit in the doorway for a minute and then turn back to go inside. We have wimpy cats. They sleep on the heater vents.

Indoor only for me. Cats that are kept inside live twice as long on average than their outdoor counterparts. That's reason enough for me.

d_day Level 7 Nov 27, 2017

I've had multiple indoor/outdoor cats make it to their early 20's

Of course. There will always be exceptions to the rule.

I’m not a cat person but a neighbor moved and left her cats. We now have four cats and have managed to get them spayed and neutered. One found his way in through the doggy door so we now have one indoor/outdoor cat and the rest outdoor. We, they and the dogs are one big happy family.

gearl Level 8 Nov 27, 2017

Not only do I think letting a cat roam around free is a risk to the animals health it is also potentially harmful to local ecosystems. Sure humans have destroyed a lot of them already but why let a pet wander freely and typically pointlessly predate local critters. Especially when those critters could be carrying disease or could be laced with poisons from others pest control regimens. A cat that kills and a mouse that has been exposed to rat poison is in danger of things like renal failure or acute toxicity.

We have three felines, one male orange tabby and a pair of sibling tuxedo cats one male and his sister. They enjoy the indoors but we have invented an enclosure to the outdoor screened in porch that they access independently through the small dog doors, all year around.

I have often pondered this question. But after much research I have decided indoor only for my 4 fur babys. Cats that are indoor are not exposed to the uncontrolled environmental diseases, predators, weather, and human interaction that could potentially shorten or end their lifespan. Outside cats can also harm the environment themselves destroying a plethora of bird and rodent wildlife. On the other hand, I absolutely believe they need lots of exercise, interaction, sunlight, and brain stimulation. So where-as I prefer to keep my 4 brats inside, they get a TON of playtime, toys, windows, and love and medical attention as needed. I still love and feed the outside stray community of neighborhood cats but I just don't feel adding my babies to it will benefit them.

I would like an inside cat. To go with my wifes 2 puppy dogs. Life would be complete if i had a cat to love.

How old are these lap dogs? Wouldn't just one cat live a fairly tortured life? Three would be better. That way they could gang up on the dogs.

I've had a number of cats over the years. They were indoor/outdoor cats.They all vanished. My one cat Zeus is a 100% indoor cat. He's happy and healthy. He will never go out-He's 7 now.

Fischer cats are like weasals that slink on the ground-they love attacking cats

I think it is healthier for cats to have access to the outdoors. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Nov 26, 2017

Not with fisher cats in the neighborhood-they devour cats

@sassygirl3869 What are fisher cats?

I should have been more careful with my reply. I have been "LUCKY" with our cats over the years. I grew up with cats and up to a few years ago we still had one. She was 18 when she passed. Most of the cats were over the age of 15 when we lost them.

So what I should have said. It is healthier for cats to have access to the outdoors if it is safe to do so. 🙂

As someone who has worked with animals most of my life, I can give you some stark examples of things that happened to animals that I've personally witnessed after the fact . All were pets allowed to roam unsupervised.
Most were cats - and some dogs.
Torn apart by coyotes or raccoons (many while in their own yard). Run over by cars. Tortured by teenagers. Poisoned by neighbors who don't fancy your cats in their yard. Also shot by neighbors - guns or arrows. Caught in leghold traps - often resulting in amputations, or worse. Shot full of B-Bs. Faces full of porcupine quills. Venomous snake bites. Intentionally drowned. Carried away by an owl. Killed by a dive bombing hawk. Drowned after falling in a well. Slowly starved to death after falling in a deep hole. Pet-knapped and sold to labs.
Picked up by animal control and taken to kill shelters - maybe you find them in time - maybe not.

Yes - depending on where you live, all these are possible, and more.
If you choose to let your pets out - know that you're choosing to risk their lives, and that one day they may not return. Do they deserve that ?

Outdoor cats live MUCH shorter lives around here, due to traffic, disease (rabies is endemic), and predation (mostly by coyotes - a truly horrific way to go). I keep mine indoors, but in a multi-level house with lots of enhancements to keep my cats safe and sane. Under these conditions, with top notch medical care, several have lived to 20 or very nearly so.

Zster Level 8 Nov 26, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5383
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.