Agnostic.com

35 8

I have recently come upon the situation of trying to explain my position on "religion" to a believer, who is a Mormon. The Mormons have a extremely elaborate afterlife scenario of eternal progression, of course, for eternity. How do you explain the nonexistence of heaven? GROG

GROG 6 Oct 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments (26 - 35)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ask him why are the believers in "insert any other religion" after life wrong?
And them change "is written on bible" for "is written/known in the scriptures/myths of that religion" and speak against his after life.

And there are a lot of other thousand ways to it and most of them will sound/be interpreted as pedantic and will generate conflict.

It is difficult to argue with deep rooted beliefs without sounding pretentious, because the other person is armed to defend its own identity and you will poke holes on it.
Showing that other religions have other views and all of them have the same degree of evidence might be a way. Calling everything bullshit and nonsense is a way too (but don't expect to have many friends doing this).

You have some good points. There are a few different ways to attack religion. There are different reasons for opposing religions. My view is that the supernatural realm does not exist. Heaven does not exist so there is no place for gods to exist except in the minds of the so deluded.
Hope you are safe. Cheers GROG

In my experience, I had to not want to go to heaven. Heaven became unpalatable to me.

Did you have heaven and hell mixed up? I remember feeling that heaven was for everyone else. I had my own, whatever it's called? Imagination! GROG

If he believes it, he does. Unless he is questioning his faith and looking for guidance, you are wasting your time.

I know it is virtually impossible to change his mind, but what ideas or questions can I present to get him to imagine how I must feel, if heaven doesn't exist. GROG

I don't bother trying to explain. It doesn't convince them. It annoys me.

I find that we rarely get the opportunity. And, we all understand the futility of even trying. It's like talking to an idiot, in any case, a person mentally ill due to their delusions. The challenge for me is to clarify my view and present it in a way that a believer might understand. GROG

I try with Mormons but with life-long indoctrinated people of many other 'religions', sometimes the fear factor and brainwashing are too deeply seated to allow escape. Joseph Smith, on the face of it, was an extraordinary con artist. The most glaring facts to non-programmed people make it obvious.

In the origin of their 'religion', three entities are involved. Joe Smith, a formerly convicted con-man who bilked local farmers of money with promises of finding buried treasure on their properties, who was a 19th. Century American; who wrote things like memoirs etc. in the language of his day. The other two makers of the religion were the god of Abraham and an angel by the name of 'Maroni', who'd lived an ancient human existence before becoming an angel.

NONE of those entities were Englishmen, let alone Englishmen of Elizabethan era existence. Strangely, even though Smith's writings were in contemporary English, translations made from 'Reformed Egyptian Language' allegedly inscribed on Maroni's golden pages containing the god's revelations to Smith were rendered in boring, stilted, English that was already archaic by a century or two by Smith's time. This, came to the world in a process that involved Smith dictating what he was reading from those golden pages while staring into his hat that contained some 'seer stones'.

There are so many many more (politely) curiosities and absurdities connected with that religion too lengthly to go into here. But how about it? Does it require much more to see it for what it is? Don't bother asking anyone at mormon.org about it because they aren't the least bit curious.

Thanks for the history, but I'm from Mormon country. My g-g-grandfather joined in 1831. My g-grandfather had three wives. In any case, spread the word, they are delusional. GROG

If heaven is so great, why not kill yourself right now to join the partay!

It’s a sin to them. The buy bull says “Thou shalt not kill”. Includes suicide.

@SeaRay215ex mormons do not use the bible, they have the book of mormon, but despite that commandment, they can and will kill other living beings, so so much for that shit, the original post asked specifically for arguments, I provided one.

@SeaRay215ex And the "buy bull" is what it is all about. That is the buy, buy, buy your way into heaven because of a lot, and awful lot of Bull. Like most everything else, it's all about the money. GROG

The purpose of life must be fulfilled first and the golden goose must continue to produce. GROG

You don't. LDS has their beliefs and you have yours. If they ask, tell them. If they don't understand, you need not explain it to them. You know what's true and they have what they were raised to believe.

The LDS have a special kind of delusion.
"There will be few chosen, but those who make the grade will in some eons in the future, may becomes as Gods and have spiritual children of their own." That's Mormonism. GROG

@GROG Kolab is a "planet" where they meet with the Godhead, Jesus, Elohim and Joseph Smith, who will determine their eternity.

I just ask them how they can believe in the batshit crazy start of their cult and then walk away. Or laugh into their faces if they have just door knocked. I am a vegetarian so I explain they are all going to hell to be tormented by the souls of all of the animals they killed because my god believes that all animal life is sacred and should be allowed to live and so they are all damned and nothing they can do will help them. Depends on my mood when they accost me.

Wow, you're pretty rabid for an Aussie. GROG

@GROG I watched the morons destroy families in the town I grew up in they came in converted some of the weak minded the kids at school had a hell of a time because of it. They did not like the new rules in their houses and felt their parents were idiots but could do nothing. I am not kind to them at all.

@Budgie You know, the Morons have gotten worse over the years. Maybe it's because they believe the end is hearer? In the 🎁olden days many Morons were still in the habit of drink. That petered out a bit, but in my small home town 70 years ago there were two or three bars (beer only) and a pool hall. Not any more. The LDS Church puts a hell of a lot of pressure on their faithful. It may be driving them crazier than they normally would be. GROG

Where is his elaborate pre-life scenario? If there is an afterlife then on the laws of nothing is created or destroyed then we must have existed before conception? Were we waiting in a celestial gumball machine for mommy and daddy to get it on?
Also, whos to say that his is the correct path to heaven? Of all the myriad of belief systems past and present, what makes him so sure his is correct? But for an accident of birth, he could have been born a Muslim, Hindu, Jew or into a mafia family. His "truth" is no more valid than support for a sports team. In fact, it is less so, for one can choose a team, one rarely chooses your religion.

If you haven't heard the Mormon story, you are in for a treat. They cover all the bases, from the pre-mortal in the realm of God as an eternal soul, to the end of eternity. Family bonds and eternal progression.
I know it is virtually impossible to change his mind, But what ideas or questions can I present to get him to imagine how I must feel, if heaven doesn't exist. GROG

@GROG How can a man who is warm understand a man who is cold?

Once upon a time (1968 to be exact) there lived a land called Czechoslovakia. It lived under the rule of another state called the USSR. They both had the same belief system although the Czechs were not quite as strict. They both taught that all capitalism is corrupt and morally bankrupt. One of their examples was how the youth of the west was addicted to a powerful narcotic called Coca-Cola. This did not happen overnight. It took many, many years of indoctrination to instil this belief. It had to be repeated over and over again. Almost from birth, right through schooling and adulthood. (sound familiar)
Then one day an enlightened leader of Czechoslavakia allowed some people to travel to the west. One young 21-year old student did just that. He got off the plane, went to a cafe and guess what he did? In sheepish and whispered tones he asked: "C-can I have a... Coca-Cola please?" The waitress brought him his drink which he drank with high expectations of this "narcotic". As absolutely nothing happened and when the same thing didn't happen again he realised he had been conned all his life. He saw through all the lies and make-believe. How everything was dependent on faith/trust in a state that had patently lied to him.
Now I know that your friend does not drink Coke (caffeine) but I bet he has tried it at least once. A bit bad for your teeth/weight but not the kind of drug that drives you to rob your grandma for your next "hit". For you it is just a can of soda, for him, it is the road to hell. That is how fragile his house of cards is. It can be demolished by a fizzy drink and he is shit scared that one little slip will destroy all of his belief systems. Which include all of the talking snakes/donkeys, floods, Red-Sea parting, virgin birth, plus Brigham Youngs "revelations" and the words set in gold that conveniently got destroyed. The polygamy and racism towards blacks and native Americans that are now not part of Mormonism. Funny how what was true then is not now but the book remains the same? So what else is not really true? How can he be sure that the rules will not change later?

@273kelvin All very true. They are told to ask and that they will receive an answer. It's like, you better not doubt Santa Claus, or you won't get any presents. The devil works in strange ways. GROG

I wrote this several years ago in regard to christianity, but it might give you an idea or two.
Paradise is the depiction of an ideal existence, where, after death, a person goes and has all that they ever could imagine, and are content with the state of their existence. Pleasure seekers . . . live in an egotistical manner, and ignore the suffering of others, they are in it for themselves. This is the same way with "paradise". These people spend their time dreaming of some future imaginary place in the sky that uncannily resembles the drug high of an addict. It ignores all earthly suffering, as perhaps an opium addict would, clinging to the opium high, ignoring what is around them, contributing absolutely nothing to the betterment of society. As long as there is suffering, in this universe or another alternative universe, there is no justification for behavior that ignores it. Paradise is an opium of the masses, along with the mendacious religions that support the idea. Paradise, as many religions imagine it, would be an egotistical and immoral mode of existence.

Thanks. The first thing you said is my point. "Paradise is the depiction of an ideal existence, where, after death, a person goes and has all that they ever could imagine,..." When you say "depiction of an ideal existence..." I understand that to mean, a mental image, imagination, a mental construct. The supernatural doesn't exist anywhere except in the human mind, but the religious believe it does. GROG

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:541164
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.