Agnostic.com

14 16

Today's hike was disrupted by guys blaring music.

Today Karen and I hiked Ingalls Creek trail, a longtime favorite hike. Ingalls Creek is the longest, un-damed river in Washington State. With high cliff sides, Ingalls Creek musically roils, cascades and waterfalls from the high Cascade Mountains.

Karen and I hiked eleven and a half miles total with about a thousand feet of elevation gain. Happily, we had the trail to ourselves until after lunch.

Descending, we came upon two young guys who were blasting rock music. Trail etiquette in U.S Forest Service and National Parks:

Take time to listen. When hiking in the great outdoors, let nature do all the talking. Be respectful of both nature and the other users, and keep the noise from electronic devices at bay. Not only will other visitors appreciate the peace and quiet, but so will the wildlife. Many wildlife species rely on natural sounds for communication purposes, and disrupting those sounds can hurt their chances of survival.

"What's with the loud music?" I asked. "Please turn it off. This is a serene and beautiful place. Loud music is not allowed on trails."

"Tell HIM," the lead man said, pointing to his companion. I had to shout to be heard. "TURN IT OFF!" I yelled. "Loud music is not allowed on trails!" Karen hollered, "Kathleen! Come on!"

I gave up and hurried down to Karen. "Don't ever confront people like them!" she scolded. "He could be psychotic."

"I'm not afraid of him," I replied. "People who violate trail rules need to be confronted."

But the screaming guitars destroyed the serenity and peace I had during the hike. I fumed about it as I descended. Wished I had said they were disturbing wildlife and other people. Finally let it go. Had to concentrate on each step. The narrow, steep trail had a sharp drop-off, rolling rocks and and tripping hazards.

"I'm getting sloppy because I'm tired," Karen said. "Me, too," I replied. "I'm not lifting up my feet high enough." We were rock stars in the shade, but dragged in hot sun.

Overall, we had a wonderful time. A long hike.

1. Ingalls Creek changes with every turn.

2. Golden Maple leaves frame Ingalls Creek.

3. As we got higher, we could see the back side of the Enchantment Mountains.

4. Wild honeysuckle.

5. Blazing reflection in rainwater on a boulder. It had rained the night before.

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Beautiful pictures! I’m sorry the hike was diminished by those jerks.

@BudFrank

Thank you.

Another adventure for the memory books ,I hope one day the both of you can have a very peaceful uneventful hike with nothing to report but natures beauty and tranquility

I run into that out on the lake. I'll be peacefully paddling along in my kayak and I'll hear one of those insanely loud stereos coming about a mile off .Those super fancy ski boats have sound systems designed to blow the eardrums out of someone on skis at the end of the rope and entertain the spectators on shore, but these people have no idea how far sound travels on the surface of smooth water. The worst is when they blare rap 😠

@wolf041

I grew up on a lake in Michigan. There was a boat launch at the other end of the lake.

On weekends, just one speedboat with a loud car engine would shatter the serenity of everybody living on the lake.

@LiterateHiker around here it's always the city people. The locals are great. They even go way out of their way to not stir you too much when they see a kayak or canoe, but those beligersnt types seem to make sport of trying to f dunk you( good luck with that, I have a 2 seater ocean kayak 😀

Nice pics.

The people I've met on hikes, a lot of hikes, in aussie and nz, are universally genial, helpful and peaceful. I'd come to the conclusion that fools don't go walking in the bush. Obviously those rules don't apply in the US.

@Cyklone

Bad behavior has increased during the pandemic. Young people don't read hiking guides that teach hiking rules and etiquette. Karen and I were shocked by:

1. Masses of human poop and toilet paper in pristine alpine areas.

2. People crowding and littering on trails, lakes and parks.

3. On a recent hike, a person had pooped in the middle of the trail! We felt appalled. Using large sticks, we shoved the poop and toilet paper off the trail. Covered it with rocks and brush. Disgusting.

During the pandemic, people are trashing national and state parks. They have no morals or respect.

[time.com]

I NEVER go out in wilderness without carrying a peacemaker. Even so, I would be very unlikely to confront assholes.

@mischl

What is a peacemaker?

@LiterateHiker A small hand-held device manufactured by Colt Arms, Inc.

@mischl

I never owned a gun and refuse to buy one.

Guns are not peaceful. They are violent and scary.

@LiterateHiker I understand your position. And on a philosophical level, I agree. However, certain parts of life are violent. And my military experience prepared me for some level of violence. Luckily, I've never had to use a firearm against another person. And now, at my age, I'm fairly certain that I never will. Even so, I still carry when I wander out into the bush.

Beautiful scenes sorry about the assholes

They are everywhere

There are just to many people, they're everywhere, it's getting harder and harder to find a nice quiet and peaceful place to be by one's self. I used to just walk out in the desert at night but now that's near impossible now. Then I would walk in the woods, love the trees and listen to the winds blowing through the branches, so quiet so tranquil, but no more, people everywhere , with they're kids and dogs littering, breaking things and making all kinds of noises, something that you try to escape from but no more.
No more.

Unfortueatly the human population is getting to large for Mother earth

I think saying something to the rude guy was appropriate, but confronting or yelling may not be safe. Sorry to hear you had a bad ending to an otherwise nice hike. I went for a fun hike in the Olympics today and it was very peaceful.

@Robert_2001

Love your second and third photos. I treasure the Olympic Mountains.

Great photos it looks so peaceful.

I thought that wireless ear buds were for those people that liked music ?

God damn I hate loud obnoxious music.
Forest lawn is a huge cemetery here, went in to visit a friend who didn’t have presidential healthcare and lost to COVID.
Someone drove through that cemetery playing Freebird as loud as they could.
Damn I hate Lenard Skinner.

@Willow_Wisp

Me, too.

Lynrd Skynrd SUCKS! I grew up in redneck rural small town IL where all teenaged males love Skynrd.

It rots the brain.

Love the story and photos. Even as a kid when we went camping some people would blast radios in the campgrounds of Yosemite. I hated hearing any type of radio when camping so I know exactly how you felt.

That's a long hike, eleven and a half miles, got to have quiet to hear the wildlife, the river flowing, the peacefulness of nature in the Cascades, agree, disrupts the natural sounds of the wildlife, the music does, pretty scenery, nice photos.

That sounds like a lovely hike. People who are loud in natural areas are incredibly rude! I know I would have said something about it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:541227
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.