Agnostic.com

12 5

Convenient & Kind: Do you know any FREE or EASY ways to make a difference?

When I took community involvement in college, I had a teacher who introduced us to the greater good network:

[theanimalrescuesite.greatergood.com]

It's my homepage. You just click once a day and they give something to a cause (animals, hunger, environment, cancer, literacy, etc.).

They aren't non-profit, but it's free for me to just click and they do give some money back. My family has also bought me gifts like "adopt a snowy owl" on there.

I'm wondering, do you know any FREE ways to give back to the community? Ones that aren't very time consuming like volunteering places.

Disclaimer: it's not that I don't want to give my time- it's just that finding places to give my time to are really easy to come by- and I already do that!

silvereyes 8 Nov 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Speaking of Amazon, if you haven't already, change your Amazon entrypoint to smile.amazon.com . Set up the charity of your choosing (I'll be glad to offer my favorites), and then anytime you order from Amazon, they will give a donation to that charity without it costing you a cent. I'm on the BOD of a small organization, and the $100/year we get from this is actually a HUGE donation to us. For that reason, I always suggest that you find small organizations to donate to - it makes a bigger difference than donating to a big, nationally known one.

How about going through life finding small niceties that you can do. Give money to a person who needs it. Mow a lawn for an old person. Shovel snow for someone who can’t.

Bicycle commuting. Not only free, but saves a fortune for yourself, and if you live in an EPA warning or danger zone and enough people follow your lead, it can save lives.

I really like to do trash clean up and trail maintenance in the national forest. It feels good in the moment and I generally find that areas are kept much cleaner for a while once they are tended. Probably not a lot of opportunity for that in FN, OK.

It is also possible to help out at a food bank any day for any amount of time, and this does not have to be a regular or recurring service.

I'm a big fan of anything that any of us can do to help Syrian refugees. The people of Syria have faced the worst humanitarian crisis and suffered through the most heinous war crimes of our times. There are wonderful people in many communities coordinating all kinds of relief efforts for refugees who live among us and those who still suffer abroad. Refugees living in our communities came here with nothing, so often people helping to organize relief efforts are looking for basic living supplies like food, clothing, toiletries, and furniture.

Or a person could contact their local, state, and federal representatives and express specific environmental concerns, such as that of direct and indirect negative impacts of the expansion of the Keystone Pipeline.

I've led quite a few student service trips and functions and always find that we gain as much, if not more than, we give in service. I've often said that if we wait for our governments to solve our problems, our problems will probably solve us instead.

Pick up roadside trash in your immediate area - looks so much better !

Volunteer to pet animals, and walk dogs at your local shelter.

If you're able, donate blood.

I don't know if this qualifies under your post, so here goes. I recently eat lunch at a restaurant and started a conversation with the hostess. After my initial "breaking the ice", she couldn't have been more concerned about my feeling important to her. Long story, short; I told her that she put something extra into her service to me. I asked to speak with her manager, and heaped a lot of praise upon the woman to him. I went on the national website for this chain and wrote several sentences about her. AND, I put my money where my mouth is, I left a tip that was around 40% of the bill. Did I make a difference?

seeing the people I love pass has given me the fortitude to move on and find the joy in all activity

Pick up trash, offer to help someone do whatever, share vegetables from the garden, give plants away, be friendly.

@silvereyes sure, if you come and get them.

Just giving a compliment, or having a kind word to say to someone, even someone you don't know, can go a long way to helping make that other person's day a lot better. You never know what challenges the other person is going through that day.

1 good deed a day if possible can really add up and might a difference in the long run

Donating blood/blood products to a local blood center, or better yet directly to a local hospital, is an easy way to make a direct difference in someone's life. Blood products usually take a little longer, but whole blood doesn't take long at all and hospitals almost always need new blood.

I think some animal shelters "rent" dogs to people who then take them on walks and stuff, that way the dog gets to leave the shelter for a while and you get to play with a dog, it's really a win/win.

I guess it all depends what you consider "time consuming", obviously those two ideas wouldn't work if you meant just clicking a button, but neither of then take as much time as say volunteering for Habitat for Humanity.

It's been like three years since I donated whole blood so I don't remember exactly how long it takes, but I think it only takes like 15/20 minutes. And you can donate every 8 weeks.
I donate platelets almost every week, but it can take anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours depending how much they take. Speaking of I need to call and set up my next appointment.

Sidenote on blood donations: Sometimes you have to ask, but they do something called "Double Donations" that take about 30% longer and you can only do it every 4 months instead of every 2, but they are apparently useful if you can. I started doing those because I always miss 1-3 weeks where I can donate, but don't find time, so this is half the trips for the same amount of good. It feels kind of weird the first time.

btw, "Double Donations" are twice the red blood cells, not twice the volume.

I got mine for free. I’m sure you could find it.

What you do is in there. There is another homepage program too.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5419
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.