Agnostic.com

32 4

Dragon: real or not?

Do you believe in dragons? If so what do you believe they are or were?

KingPeep 6 Apr 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ancient civilizations encountered fossils and created mythical creatures to explain the origin of the bones. They came up with giants, dragons, cyclops, and other creatures.

JimG Level 8 Apr 10, 2018

Dragons were from dinosaurs time
Dinosaurs existed because of the fossils we found
So Dragon do exist from the evedience we have gathered over the years

Rosh Level 7 Apr 10, 2018

No "Dragon" Fossils Have Ever Been Found.

I think the prehistoric sharks teeth, that can be as big as your hand. would have scared the crap out of people who had to idea what they were looking at.
They had no idea what millions of years was or extinction.

Really?...i can't believe I'm responding to this. If your asking if fire breathing,flying dragons are real,or were real? I just read a fellows post about him taking psychedelic drugs and connecting with an energy that guides us.....you should hang out with him.

Wow. There is way too many woo fuq here for a supposed agnostic/atheist site.

Bathe your dragon in essential oils.

Komodo dragons are very real

What The "Dragon" Is Supposed Too Be Based On.

Coldo Level 8 Apr 10, 2018

That critter could probably ruin your day nearly as swiftly as Smaug.

Komodo Dragons are real but I'm assuming you mean the Lord of the Rings type dragon? I'm not aware of any archaeological evidence for the existance of such a creature but who knows, we've had some weird shit on the this planet over the millenia.

Pterodactyl & archaeopteryx!

If they are real I want one

It will cost you a fortune to have them spayed and neutered. And how will you explain the human bones of fallen knights buried in your backyard to local law enforcement?

@Nemosson nuisance

Real. But thanks to evolution, they're all small now. You can thank the increase of gravity for that.

What increase in gravity?

@smoyle Since earth first formed, its been growing in size. The dinosaurs had to evolve into smaller forms because of the law of fourths. The same for dragons.

Hi @Meiliken , how is the Earth growing in size? As far as I'm aware, the Earths, mass, and therefore gravity, hasn't changed since way before the dinosaurs.

What's the law of fourths? I've not heard of that.

@smoyle Daily, millions of tons of stellar material falls to earth. Its been happening since the birth of earth. This added material increases the size of earth. The bigger the earth, the more mass it acquires, the stronger the gravity. The only reason land/air creatures grew so big was because the gravity was less.

The law of fourths is that living creatures can only get so big depending on the amount of gravity. The bigger something is, the more energy required to move it. It's why the only dinosaur sized creatures on earth anymore are in the oceans. If you want to learn more about the law of fourths, check out the study on if Kaiju can exist.

@Meiliken well I'm certainly no expert but I have to disagree about the Earth getting bigger. Granted we are collecting a bit of new material from meteoroids etc but nowhere near enough to increase gravity. The Earth's mass has been pretty stable for billions of years.

I've looked at a few sources on the net, some say it's getting bigger, some say smaller, but all say it's only a tiny amount.

From the internet (so it must be true!):

"Earth gains mass through dust and meteorites that are captured by its gravity. If you watched the recent meteor shower you know this can occur on a regular basis. In fact from satellite observations of meteor trails it’s estimated that about 100 – 300 metric tons (tonnes) of material strikes Earth every day. That adds up to about 30,000 to 100,000 tonnes per year. That might seem like a lot, but over a million years that would only amount to less than a billionth of a percent of Earth’s total mass.

Earth loses mass through a couple of processes. One is the fact that material in Earth’s crust undergoes radioactive decay, and therefore energy and some subatomic particles can escape our world. Another is the loss of hydrogen and helium from our atmosphere. The first process only amounts to about 15 tonnes per year, but the loss from our atmosphere amounts to about 95,000 tonnes per year.

So it’s most likely that Earth is losing a bit of mass each year, but if the rate of meteors is on the higher end of estimates, then it could be gaining a bit of mass."

@smoyle Disagree if you wish, but science has proven it. If earth had not increased in gravity, then we would still have gargantuan size creatures on land and air. They only now exist in the oceans because of the buoyancy of the water.

@Meiliken "but science has proven it" please show me where, every time I search the internet the answer is always the same - "No". If gravity is getting stronger, why are humans getting bigger, why is the Moon getting farther away, why isn't the Earth getting closer to the sun, why do we have larger animals in the sea than we did in dino times?

The Kamodo dragons are the closest we have come to anything like that. I am sure there could have been other species thousands of years back, who knows whats still out there that hasn't been discovered yet.

Movie dragons no. However there is a science based case for the possibilty of some now extinct creature may have given rise to dragon mythology.

Source:

@KingPeep

Complete disproof of dragons has never certifiably happened, but if you can find some evidence to prove there was at least one dragon, you'd find something incredibly interesting.

Like the pterodactyl or archaeopteryx !

@Edgeward I think those were proven or that there is overwhelming evidence to show they existed.

No. When early man first began finding evidence of the existence of DINOSAURS, they didn’t know what they were, so the legend of the “dragon” was born. Of course we know better now.

I think there were only dinosaurs.

I know that dinosaur bones in China were thought to be from dragons. It would not be too surprising if bones of extinct megafauna might also be ascribed to mythical creatures.

Just like god, not real. Why is this even a question?

As far as large lizard type dragons it is possible that creatures like the Komodo dragon were exaggerated. Actual non avian dinosaurs that made it to the time of man is very unlikely though. I could see how a fossil of say something like Archaeopteryx could have inspired people's imagination. If you look at ancient text, the way they looked at things where very different. As far as dragons like the stories that were ridden by humans or stole princess I would have to say no.

There is very strong evidence that the dragon legend, at least the Chinese ones are linked to the finding of dinosaur fossils. This is likely the case for European ones as well.
The only "real dragons I know of were the 20 foot Monitor lizards encounter by the first people of Australia it is theorized that they literally burnt the forests to rid themsleves of these monsters, permenantly changing the environment.
Oddly enough the First Nations of North America didn't have dragon they referred to the dinosaurs as acient creatures, eg. "the grandfathers of the buffalo".

No. I don't believe dragons were ever real, they're pure fiction. I think the closest living things to them were pterodactyls and pteranodons.

No.

No, don't believe in dragons, I read lots of fantasy though.

When I was heavily on opioids after back surgery, I saw tiny red sparkly dragons dancing at my window. They were a pure delight. Haven’t seen them since.

Myths, just like the many gods that are worshipped.

JK666 Level 7 Apr 10, 2018

You can view dragons on Youtube. They're made in China.

Real. But not what you think. Dragons are mythical creatures created by our brains from the combination of our ancestral mammals' predators: snakes, bears/wolves, and eagles/raptors/other birds of prey - whether out of fear or out of reverence.

The Millions Year War between mammals and their predators

Resource on VSauce2's studies are linked in that YouTube video's description page.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:54261
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.