Agnostic.com

10 7

Who here is interested in Norse mythology aka the Viking religion. I am even though I'm atheist Odin fascinated me.

DarwinMyHero97 4 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is natural for people of European descent to exhibit curiosity about pagan European religions. Their ancient ancestors were pagans before they were forced at swords point to adapt Christianity.Prior to 800 AD, the Catholic Church had little luck in forcing Christianity down peoples' throats. But then, they found a Frankish warlord, who would agree to being made 'Emperor of the West'. And who was then charged with the forcible conversion of Europeans to Christianity. Charlemagne's armies marched far and wide, throughout Europe, suppressing paganism, and slaughtering people by the tens of thousands, in the quest to convert people to the strange and foreign religion that became Christendom. In return, Charlemagne and his fellow warlords became the nucleus of a new, feudal ruling class, ordained by 'God' with the 'divine right' to rule.The common people became the peons of their 'lords'. And the Church acquired the military clout to uphold its power over all. The advance of Christianity in Europe is inextricably intertwined with the advance of Feudalism.

I am interested in history, myths are part of history.

I enjoy all mythologies from all different parts of the world. All fairy tails they are just like religion.

My father told me the sagas from the Edda throughout my childhood. Gods and heroes and monsters all existed on Yggdrasil, the world tree. The things that fascinated me are that the most powerful beings in that universe were three women, The Norns, Wyrd, Verdandi, and Skuld who lived at the base of Yggdrasil, tended its roots, spun out the lifetime of each inhabitant, god, monster or hero, and cut it off at the right time. As a young girl, I liked that idea. Also, Odin Altfather had two spies, ravens called thought and Memory flying out each day and reporting on the state of the universe each night. while bickering with each other.
The Norse gods did not require worship.
All kinds of cool details. Find out how Odin lost his eye.
I like these stories.

... and how Tyr lost his hand.

I'm done with it all, the only thing I still care for might be the art...

It is hard to comprehend why the Norse would have adopted Christianity when they already had their own pantheon of awesome gods, with cool names not just 'god'.

BDair Level 8 Oct 14, 2020

It was a political decision, the Holy Roman empire asked the Norse to get on board, the Norse said sure but there's a few days of the week we would like to keep, you guys accept our days and we'll accept your God then we can start trading.
The Romans asked which days.
Tuesday, named for Tiw
Wednesday, named for Woden
Thursday, anmed for Thor
and Friday named for Freya
Then the deal was done.

@Willow_Wisp It was pretty much like as you say BUT with the added 'Christian Twist' imposed by the 'Holy Roman Empire' that Christians were FORBIDDEN to enter into trade, etc, with Non-Christians and doing so would result in either Excommunication or punishment by Death.
That "Christian Twist' literally cut off the trade between Vikings/Norse peoples and the rest of the Christian world until King Harold Blue-Tooth decided to get baptised for the sake of his people, thus re-opening the trades with Christians.
A very much similar scenario occurred with the 'invasion' of the Holy Roman Empire in places like England, Ireland, Scotland, etc, etc, down through the years and in some places is still happening in some Third World countries as well, i.e. a sort of Catholic style ultimatum of " Convert and Thrive, fail to convert and starve."

The Norse didn't convert of their own free will. Olaf I, the first Christian king of Norway, converted them with threat of the headsman's axe.

I have always enjoyed a good myth, especially by a good story teller. Nothing wrong with taking them for what they are, stories meant for entertainment in today's day and age.

I always prefered Greek mythology. I am searching for a book with less common myths & characters. Haven't found one yet but the search continues.

My mother in law was born and raised in Fredrickstad, Norway. My DNA is from Iceland and Norway. Mythology is fun, IMO.

Not a follower, but I have done rune readings.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:543460
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.