Agnostic.com

17 20

Pandemic hiking blues. "Up yours, tree-huggers!"

Trail-trashing in national parks and on trails feels like rednecks with no morals are getting back at hikers they see as liberal, tree-hugging elitists. This feels personal.

Today Karen and I found graffiti on a flat, vertical rock at eye level beside the trail. Where the rock buttress sticks out. "Poblac Rock" was sprayed with green paint. Why? There has never been graffiti there before.

A guy on a motorcycle crotch-rocket zoomed down the narrow trail with a bottomless drop (motorized vehicles are not allowed). "Halt!" I yelled. "There's no place for us to go!"

"Nobody is going to get killed," he called, coming to a stop. "I will go around you." "I didn't know motorized vehicles are allowed on this trail," I told him.

Today Karen and I hiked 7.8 miles to high ridges, looking for golden Northern Larch. Not yet. Next week may be the fabled, annual "Golden Week."

After yesterday's pounding rainstorm, the trail was washed out in the worst places, along a steep ridge with a horrifying drop off. Don't look down.

"I don't see how a motorcycle can get through here," Karen said. "Look at that drop-off! I wouldn't ride a bicycle on this trail."

Next week, I plan to climb back up there (it's dangerous) and clean off the graffiti with paint remover (bad for the environment), rubber gloves and a scrubber sponge. The paint may not come off because rock is porous.

Graffiti invites more graffiti. Litter invites litter. So, I pick up litter. Clean up graffiti.

My heart hurts. I feel sad and discouraged. Usually I feel happy after hiking.

Photos:

1. The Enchantment Mountains.

2. The trail was washed out with a hideous drop-off. We found graffiti at eye level on the rock buttress that sticks out beside the trail. We ate lunch off-trail to the right of that tree.

3. Descending, we looked back to where we ate lunch on that ridge with a dragon-tail of rock. From there, we turned and climbed a higher ridge (not visible).

4. Another view from the trail.

5. Golden Larch at Schaefer Lake, 6,000 feet, October 10, 2014.

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sometimes, I think being a slob and vandal is just about domination. Giving someone else a poke in the eye because you can. Wretched way to behave.

My heart hurts too from the people doing the graffiti and being so inconsiderate

@BudFrank

It's heartbreaking. Someone sprayed graffiti on the striking rock buttress.

It is great having people like you and Karen so envitomentaly conscious ,Thank you ,WOW that is quite the wash out on the trail,please be extra careful Looking forward to new Larch Tree Photos in a few weeks,love the beautiful colour of them

@19dacar52, @wolf041, @xenoview, @BestWithoutGods, @vegan66, @AgeofReason, @Mitch07102, @bobwjr, @Robert_2001, @BitFlipper, @Willow_Wisp, @dalefvictor, @anglophone

This morning I called the National Forest Service and reported the graffiti, motorcycle and trail washout. The lady who answered the phone was very nice.

She will forward my report to the local office. "They will want to clean up the graffiti," she said.

I feel kind of dumb, I don't know what "Poblac Rock" means. It saddens me to hear about graffiti out in places like that.

@19dacar52

I have no idea what it means, too. It's not a Spanish word.

Lousy speller? Did he mean "Pro Black"? Doubtful.

@LiterateHiker Or it's covidiot for PUBLIC?

One of my favorite hikes , the trail has been littered with graffiti, all of it christian preaching / bible references. Yea 🙄. Of course one of my other favourite short hikes has a bunch of graffiti , but it's 3000 year old petroglyphs.. motorcycles have always been illegal on hiking trails., But nobody minds if they ride fire breaks, it keeps the grass down ,,makes it safer.

Beautiful pictures.

Thank you for keeping nature beautiful. 🙂

It saddens my heart to see people act this way . They only think of themselves and they think that no one else or the environment matter.

What the hell is wrong with people? Thanks for cleaning the paint. People never fail to disappoint.

A symptom of the larger issue of so many people leading crummy lives and feeling powerless. Graffiti., litter, etc. I live in Philadelphia, the poorest big city in the US: the poverty rate is about 25%, and of those 25% nearly half live in deep poverty, which is one-half or less of the poverty level. In the poorer parts of the city, litter is a common problem, graffiti as well but not as much. People get beaten down, litter builds up, repeat. It is sad. More well-to-do parts of the city are fine, with little or no litter problem. The trails, sadly, are now experiencing the impact of people who've been beaten down. Yes, some of them are just pigs, but the issue is bigger than that.

Sorry about the assholes , maybe a sign directing motorcycles to drop off ?

bobwjr Level 10 Oct 15, 2020

Sorry to hear you have these bad experiences with these red-necks. I hate to see litter or graffiti in the back country. I was nice of you to go back and clean up someones mess. So the golden larches have not peaked yet? I was thinking they were past the peak.

@Robert_2001

Northern Larch are one of just two conifers in North America that drop their needles in the Fall.

"Golden Week" has not begun in Eastern Washington yet. It depends on temperature and elevation.

Dirt bikes are messing up the trails here too. They cause ruts, erosion, and root damage to trees.

You are a good kind heart.
Knowing you did what you could is sometimes the only reward you get in an otherwise thankless world.
I wish there were many more just like you.
Thank you.

@Willow_Wisp

Thank you, dear.

I'll ask Karen to join me to remove the graffiti. It's not safe to hike alone.

If I slipped and fell off the cliff, they wouldn't find my body in the evergreen trees below until Spring, if ever. It is snowing in the mountains.

I see you were expressing your concern for his life as I am sure the rules of the trail are for this purpose. I am sure the idiot on the bike saw you as part of the problem. Stupidity abounds where people are not smart enough to look out for themselves. What would have happened if he went off the road and got hurt enough that he could not return on his own?
You are a good person, to bad there are stupid people out there with egos.

Thank you for sharing your observations and your pictures, and I am sorry you are having to deal with the actions of self-seeking idiots.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:543599
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.